Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836386 times)

Gatsrew

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #5075 on: 2017-03-24 17:26:58 »
Hello Sega, I've been enjoying the mod for several weeks now!  I've encountered a couple errors so far that are preventing me from progressing at the respective tasks.  1) The Zach fight for Cloud's Limit and weapon material.  After I defeat him it drops the Shinra Alpha but doesn't play the cutscene after where he talks to me and gives me the items.  It plays the normal ending to the cutscene in vanilla game where it just pans up to Shinra.  2) The Platinum Match in Gold Saucer Extra Battles.  I've tried several times to start this fight in different combinations but it always does the same thing, it soft locks immediately.  The only variation I've been able to do is if I attach sneak attack, I can get in some hits with the paired materia before it locks.  I can chose an action for each person but then they just stand there, and if I have barriers on they continue to deplete so it shows that battle time is still going, not like its locked in an animation.  I would guess its trying to perform an attack from the enemy but can't find it?  If these have already been discussed please let me know the fixes, otherwise I'll wait to do these until you can make a hotfix.  Thank you again!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: 2017-03-24 18:51:17 »
Hello Sega, I've been enjoying the mod for several weeks now!  I've encountered a couple errors so far that are preventing me from progressing at the respective tasks.  1) The Zach fight for Cloud's Limit and weapon material.  After I defeat him it drops the Shinra Alpha but doesn't play the cutscene after where he talks to me and gives me the items.  It plays the normal ending to the cutscene in vanilla game where it just pans up to Shinra.  2) The Platinum Match in Gold Saucer Extra Battles.  I've tried several times to start this fight in different combinations but it always does the same thing, it soft locks immediately.  The only variation I've been able to do is if I attach sneak attack, I can get in some hits with the paired materia before it locks.  I can chose an action for each person but then they just stand there, and if I have barriers on they continue to deplete so it shows that battle time is still going, not like its locked in an animation.  I would guess its trying to perform an attack from the enemy but can't find it?  If these have already been discussed please let me know the fixes, otherwise I'll wait to do these until you can make a hotfix.  Thank you again!

Both are on the list for the next hotfix; I had some assignments to do but now that they're out of the way I'll get these patches finished and uploaded tonight.

Issues
-) Zack flashback not giving Omnislash
-) Platinum Match causes a softlock (attack animations)
-) North Crater (a): Scripting problems can cause the wrong party members to join and softlock.
-) North Crater (b): Can become stuck on two of the paths if the boss can't be defeated as there's no way to return (Left-Up and Right paths).
-) North Crater (c): PHS has been left enabled on save points during split-up which can cause problems with undersized parties, etc.
-) North Crater (d): Enemies have unobtainable steal lists (thought these lists had been changed, maybe it's only in my current files and not in the patches).
-) Dark Cave: Possible var conflict that prevents 3rd screen from loading (still looking into this).
« Last Edit: 2017-03-24 18:59:09 by Sega Chief »

Gatsrew

• View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: 2017-03-25 01:20:15 »
I forgot to mention one.  According to the NT Item List, Yahcobo was intended to drop the Dragon Armlet after defeat, but I never got that drop either.  I've seen you mention the steal/drops may have changed between patches so this may no longer be the case.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: 2017-03-25 03:50:35 »
I forgot to mention one.  According to the NT Item List, Yahcobo was intended to drop the Dragon Armlet after defeat, but I never got that drop either.  I've seen you mention the steal/drops may have changed between patches so this may no longer be the case.

Yeah, I think Yahcobo is going to carry the Aegis Armlet for the last build.

As for the bugs, I finally found what I think was causing the problems in North Crater; Aeris' variable wasn't being scrubbed when you leave the Crater and a jump in the Left-Split path was jumping to a label that was right before Aeris' path check instead of the end of that particular 'block'. Fixed the others too, added a check for game moment to disable PHS if Game Moment is below 1998 (means it'll be back on for those 3 Crater Save Points after reaching the bottom once) and also reactivates on the NPC who greets you back onto the Highwind.

I'm going to use the 1.5 flevel for this patch, that way I won't need to replicate the bug fixes on both (and lessen the risk of, y'know, forgetting and having the problems sneak back in again). Scene patch will be using 1.4 files.

Edit: That's the patches up.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-25 05:15:39 by Sega Chief »

GilgameshGG

• View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: 2017-03-26 00:06:36 »
Hey, sorry, really amazing mod! I watched Xero play it on his first time around, and I remembered it so I could play it when I had the time. Well that time is now, and I love it! I'm almost out Shinra HQ.

I've been looking around for a while for info on the new weapons. I'm fighting the new X-ATM scorpion boss on floor 59 and trying to decide which weapon I want to steal, but I can't find anything on what stats the new weapons have... Or if I can actually buy them some other place. Considering you can only steal 1 weapon from that boss... It's giving me a headache.

I love finding things out on my own, and I've been using the files in the Documentation folder of the standalone mod .zip, but I also don't want to miss out on anything new the mod offers, and try to plan what weapons my party'll use before I miss them.

Is there any info on this somewhere?
...Or has someone written some form of mini walkthrough for this mod?

Thanks!

*EDIT*: Oh, and final question.. I am using the 7H version of the mod, what would be the best way to get this latest patch working for my game? Can I just uninstall the 7H version and install the standalone version on top of my game without losing all my progress?
« Last Edit: 2017-03-26 00:14:58 by GilgameshGG »

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: 2017-03-26 01:16:50 »
Oh, and final question.. I am using the 7H version of the mod, what would be the best way to get this latest patch working for my game? Can I just uninstall the 7H version and install the standalone version on top of my game without losing all my progress?

SC usually uploads the latest IRO with the current patches/hotfixes rather quickly. It's probably best just to wait for it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: 2017-03-26 02:49:52 »
Hey, sorry, really amazing mod! I watched Xero play it on his first time around, and I remembered it so I could play it when I had the time. Well that time is now, and I love it! I'm almost out Shinra HQ.

I've been looking around for a while for info on the new weapons. I'm fighting the new X-ATM scorpion boss on floor 59 and trying to decide which weapon I want to steal, but I can't find anything on what stats the new weapons have... Or if I can actually buy them some other place. Considering you can only steal 1 weapon from that boss... It's giving me a headache.

I love finding things out on my own, and I've been using the files in the Documentation folder of the standalone mod .zip, but I also don't want to miss out on anything new the mod offers, and try to plan what weapons my party'll use before I miss them.

Is there any info on this somewhere?
...Or has someone written some form of mini walkthrough for this mod?

Thanks!

*EDIT*: Oh, and final question.. I am using the 7H version of the mod, what would be the best way to get this latest patch working for my game? Can I just uninstall the 7H version and install the standalone version on top of my game without losing all my progress?

Those weapons will be available (fairly) soon so it's best just to go with whatever you get. Or you can not steal and go with the enemy drop instead, which is a piece of armour if I remember right.

SC usually uploads the latest IRO with the current patches/hotfixes rather quickly. It's probably best just to wait for it.

It'll be uploaded tomorrow.

GilgameshGG

• View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: 2017-03-26 03:04:07 »
Thanks so much for the quick answers, both of you. Chief, i'm psyched that you care so much about this project! I'm a programmer; just got my first job after getting the diploma, and I'm working solo on some project. It's really motivational to see people like you creating wonderful things for everyone to enjoy. It's inspiring me to care about this project I'm working on and hopefully make others happy to use my software! So much ambition in this, and it makes this game infinitely more interesting! I hadn't played it since I was a kid, and it gets everything right while not butchering my nostalgia factor.

Well, back to the game, I'm about to meet Nanaki now :)

Gatsrew

• View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: 2017-03-26 14:48:35 »
Hey Sega, thanks for the hotfixes for my last posts, they worked great!  I'm currently working through the dark cave storyline and found that the door going up the sector 7 tower doesn't prevent you from going up again.  If you go up it replays the scene and fights over again as if it was your first time up.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: 2017-03-26 15:20:13 »
Thanks so much for the quick answers, both of you. Chief, i'm psyched that you care so much about this project! I'm a programmer; just got my first job after getting the diploma, and I'm working solo on some project. It's really motivational to see people like you creating wonderful things for everyone to enjoy. It's inspiring me to care about this project I'm working on and hopefully make others happy to use my software! So much ambition in this, and it makes this game infinitely more interesting! I hadn't played it since I was a kid, and it gets everything right while not butchering my nostalgia factor.

Well, back to the game, I'm about to meet Nanaki now :)

I'm studying to be a programmer; I was in English Literature and Creative Writing up until midway through the PhD but had to change tracks. Got the exam for the software development HNC in a few weeks and hoping to make desktop applications someday :I

Hey Sega, thanks for the hotfixes for my last posts, they worked great!  I'm currently working through the dark cave storyline and found that the door going up the sector 7 tower doesn't prevent you from going up again.  If you go up it replays the scene and fights over again as if it was your first time up.

A lot of the Dark Cave issues have been left for the moment while I focus on getting the main game sorted out. If you find anything that obstructs progress then let me know.

Gatsrew

• View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: 2017-03-26 15:27:34 »
Ok, will do.  I just got done beating the top floor of Shinra HQ and upon trying to use the elevator back down the character model disappeared and I couldn't move.  None of the save points in the building work either, so have to go through it all again.  Should probably just wait to do this section until it gets ironed out more then.

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: 2017-03-26 19:03:34 »
Is this mod compatible with The Reunion or at least the Beacause translation patch, or is that likely to break things?  I'd like to take advantage of a translation that clears up those classic 'This guy are sick' problems, but the difficulty tweaks this mod offers look really interesting

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: 2017-03-26 19:25:50 »
Is this mod compatible with The Reunion or at least the Beacause translation patch, or is that likely to break things?  I'd like to take advantage of a translation that clears up those classic 'This guy are sick' problems, but the difficulty tweaks this mod offers look really interesting

I don't think they are compatible, but I cleaned up the majority of the game's text if that helps. Just be careful about using custom names that are quite long as there are still some text-boxes that need to be re-sized to account for max-length names.

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: 2017-03-26 19:29:24 »
Alright.  I'll have to see how your text compares with that one, but at least I know stuff's been re-translated/cleaned up to some degree.  I really like the idea of giving characters more distinct roles

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: 2017-03-26 21:58:52 »
Is the timer SUPPOSED to start before you even start fighting the scorpion?  He's a relatively long fight even with what seems to be a fairly optimal strategy.  I keep exploding.

Xifanie

• French Maid
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Hacktics
« Reply #5090 on: 2017-03-26 22:32:50 »
Just wanted to drop that out there, but good job on the Quality of Life modifications. When making hacks, most people don't realize how important they are, but once you give it to them, they're like "WHOA! I can't believe no one thought of that before and I don't understand why it wasn't that way in the original game!"

I made a lot of hacks for FFT, and those are easily my most popular hacks. I mean, there's no reason to not want them.
  • Cross Skip: hold cross and it flies through dialogue (I think your option to skip several portions of the story worked just fine)
  • Smart Encounters: only get random battles when you want them
  • 2nd squad is not mandatory
  • Default option is "Continue" and not "New Game" (no memory card detection, but better than nothing)

Sure, I made really impressive stuff like a Synthesis Shop (link for those who care, v2 is way better but still being testing), but since it's a lot of trouble to think about all the items to synthesize, only 1-2 modders actually use it... (1 released and another mod still in development)

As someone who herself made a bunch of Quality of Life hacks, I really appreciate seeing someone else make efforts to do the same for their mod.
Even a tiny thing such as starting the game with an Enemy Away makes a world of difference for a lot of people, including me.
The Fort Condor teleport was brillant, though I was not impressed by all those consumable rewards. :p

Unfortunately, too many modders either just use the tools provided to make the game harder, or hackers have trouble thinking outside the box. It took years before someone else tried to create a QoL hack after I first did.

GilgameshGG

• View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: 2017-03-26 22:40:42 »
I'm getting slaughtered by Thousand Gunner, Heli-Gunner and Thunder-Gunner...
I'm looking at videos of people playing 1.4, and for some reason, these bosses deal way more damage and take way less.

Here's an example. In Sega Chief's 1.4 Thousand Gunner video on Youtube, the whole party is in the back with Barrier on, and Crown Artillery deals about 40 damage to the party. In my game, I'm taking 100 damage.

As for damage, my Barret deals about 45 damage with a regular attack from the back row, and the one in Sega Chief's video deals 85.

Also, Red XIII can't use Sled Fang in my game, because I'm out of range, whereas people use it for over 300 damage in those videos...

And I remember clearly, Cloud was hitting like a total wimp too, like 30 damage.

Is this normal? I tried playing around with materias and give my magic casters all the +Magic I could find, and my fighters all the +Str materia, but it seems to have very little impact, and I take so much damage from both Heli Gunners that I barely have any time to ever attack, and even if I try constantly healing, they deal more than I can manage  :-o
« Last Edit: 2017-03-27 00:34:27 by GilgameshGG »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: 2017-03-26 23:09:29 »
Is the timer SUPPOSED to start before you even start fighting the scorpion?  He's a relatively long fight even with what seems to be a fairly optimal strategy.  I keep exploding.

I'm getting slaughtered by Thousand Gunner, Heli-Gunner and Thunder-Gunner...
I'm looking at videos of people playing 1.4, and for some reason, these bosses deal way less damage and take way more than what I'm able to do to them.

Here's an example. In Sega Chief's 1.4 Thousand Gunner video on Youtube, the whole party is in the back with Barrier on, and Crown Artillery deals about 40 damage to the party. In my game, I'm taking 100 damage.

As for damage, my Barret deals about 45 damage with a regular attack from the back row, and the one in Sega Chief's video deals 85.

Also, Red XIII can't use Sled Fang in my game, because I'm out of range, whereas people use it for over 300 damage in those videos...

And I remember clearly, Cloud was hitting like a total wimp too, like 30 damage.

Is this normal? I tried playing around with materias and give my magic casters all the +Magic I could find, and my fighters all the +Str materia, but it seems to have very little impact, and I take so much damage from both Heli Gunners that I barely have any time to ever attack, and even if I try constantly healing, they deal more than I can manage  :-o

Have you got other mods/7H? For the Gunners, it sounds like they have long-range attacks active which is being done through the .EXE; NT dropped its .exe changes a long time ago, but it seems to be popping up in the catalog IRO version for some reason when other mods are active. The biggest give away is Sled Fang being short-range.

@Rascal: This EXE issue might be related to the scorpion fight as well if incoming damage from Rifle is too high and outgoing Limit Break damage is too low. The .exe changes aren't intended to be part of NT.

Just wanted to drop that out there, but good job on the Quality of Life modifications. When making hacks, most people don't realize how important they are, but once you give it to them, they're like "WHOA! I can't believe no one thought of that before and I don't understand why it wasn't that way in the original game!"

I made a lot of hacks for FFT, and those are easily my most popular hacks. I mean, there's no reason to not want them.
  • Cross Skip: hold cross and it flies through dialogue (I think your option to skip several portions of the story worked just fine)
  • Smart Encounters: only get random battles when you want them
  • 2nd squad is not mandatory
  • Default option is "Continue" and not "New Game" (no memory card detection, but better than nothing)

Sure, I made really impressive stuff like a Synthesis Shop (link for those who care, v2 is way better but still being testing), but since it's a lot of trouble to think about all the items to synthesize, only 1-2 modders actually use it... (1 released and another mod still in development)

As someone who herself made a bunch of Quality of Life hacks, I really appreciate seeing someone else make efforts to do the same for their mod.
Even a tiny thing such as starting the game with an Enemy Away makes a world of difference for a lot of people, including me.
The Fort Condor teleport was brillant, though I was not impressed by all those consumable rewards. :p

Unfortunately, too many modders either just use the tools provided to make the game harder, or hackers have trouble thinking outside the box. It took years before someone else tried to create a QoL hack after I first did.

QoLs are always handy, but sadly rare; I guess they're not as exciting :I

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #5093 on: 2017-03-27 00:09:36 »
Have you got other mods/7H? For the Gunners, it sounds like they have long-range attacks active which is being done through the .EXE; NT dropped its .exe changes a long time ago, but it seems to be popping up in the catalog IRO version for some reason when other mods are active. The biggest give away is Sled Fang being short-range.

If Menu Overhaul is being used, it could be from the ff7_mo.exe that's currently in the Catalog. I have removed all that and switched completely to hext edits in the next update, so I really hope that resolves these random clashes in compatibility we've seen reported. I can never test these things through a full playthrough due to time, so it's up to the public to catch them and report it.

Just waiting for NT 1.5 and Reunion R06 to push out the next Catalog update :)

GilgameshGG

• View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: 2017-03-27 00:29:43 »
If Menu Overhaul is being used, it could be from the ff7_mo.exe that's currently in the Catalog. I have removed all that and switched completely to hext edits in the next update, so I really hope that resolves these random clashes in compatibility we've seen reported. I can never test these things through a full playthrough due to time, so it's up to the public to catch them and report it.

Just waiting for NT 1.5 and Reunion R06 to push out the next Catalog update :)

That was exactly it! I turned off Menu Overhaul in 7H - "The Reunion - Beacause and Menu Overhaul" and set the .exe to the original "ff7.exe", and now my Sled Fang works and I take WAY less damage from the back row!

I was essentially dealing 1/2 damage from back row, and still taking full damage.. No wonder it was so hard. Thanks so much for being so quick again, guys!

The funny thing is the game still felt fair up to this point, these guys are the first where it becomes almost impossible to keep up with the damage. I ran from 3-4 encounters, but I was doing alright. xD

However, now my battle menu is just completely black, with only the text visible. I don't really mind, I'll just wait for the new versions to rollout, and re-activate Menu Overhaul then: it's not exactly a problem :) ... Unless you guys know how to fix that too?

Here's what it looks like.
http://imgur.com/a/GknJ0
« Last Edit: 2017-03-27 00:39:05 by GilgameshGG »

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: 2017-03-27 01:45:37 »
Sure enough, I was using Menu Overhaul as well.  Although part of my problem was that the default 7H upscaling options are a bit intense for my rig - 4k internal resolution is kinda overkill, y'know?  At least, when I'm also streaming.  I was losing frames but that wasn't slowing the timer down.  Good to know this issue exists.

FWIW, I would definitely advise checking out the Beacause script.  It's a really solid translation (although it has a few cases of awkward English in it, imo) and seeing it or something like it integrated into the New Threat script would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:  So, when I turn off MO, I run into a different problem - all of a sudden, the materia edits New Threat is supposed to make disappear?  Sense goes back to only being +2 Dex, for example, instead of +10 Dex, -10 Luck.  Obviously that throws the intended balance out of whack as well.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-27 01:53:35 by RascalQueen »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #5096 on: 2017-03-27 02:12:24 »
However, now my battle menu is just completely black, with only the text visible. I don't really mind, I'll just wait for the new versions to rollout, and re-activate Menu Overhaul then: it's not exactly a problem :) ... Unless you guys know how to fix that too?

Here's what it looks like.
http://imgur.com/a/GknJ0

EDIT:  So, when I turn off MO, I run into a different problem - all of a sudden, the materia edits New Threat is supposed to make disappear?  Sense goes back to only being +2 Dex, for example, instead of +10 Dex, -10 Luck.  Obviously that throws the intended balance out of whack as well.

If I were to upload a new MO IRO for testing only, would you check these issues for me? It will be with the new hext edits, so just enable them in the Configure and set your Workshop -> Settings -> FF7 EXE to use the ff7.exe installed from the 7H Game Converter.

GilgameshGG

• View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: 2017-03-27 02:31:07 »
Sure thing, just tell me what/when to install and I'll give it a whirl.  ;D

RascalQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: 2017-03-27 03:08:05 »
Likewise.  I'd love to have the Menu Overhaul and also the intended gameplay of New Threat

EDIT:  Okay, did some restructuring and the new version of MO seems to be working.  The Materia changes are gone, but my understanding is that that's SUPPOSED to be the case unless you're playing on Arrange?  Also, is Arrange supposed to be missing in 1.4?  It's mentioned in the readme, but the starting screen only lets me pick Normal.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-27 07:33:38 by RascalQueen »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: 2017-03-27 08:05:32 »
Likewise.  I'd love to have the Menu Overhaul and also the intended gameplay of New Threat

EDIT:  Okay, did some restructuring and the new version of MO seems to be working.  The Materia changes are gone, but my understanding is that that's SUPPOSED to be the case unless you're playing on Arrange?  Also, is Arrange supposed to be missing in 1.4?  It's mentioned in the readme, but the starting screen only lets me pick Normal.

Arrange was deactivated so it could be balanced properly. The .exe changes weren't specifically for either mode, but were originally planned to be for Arrange only.