Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836837 times)

HolyOkami

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8300 on: 2019-07-24 19:18:27 »
Hello again, i just saw that Cait sith have gained a new limit break "Transform".

Someone know if Cait sith have more limit breaks to unlock ? In vanilla he has only 2.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: 2019-07-25 04:50:38 »
Not at present, but I could add it.
Sweet sounds good.

Yuno_Gasai

• View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: 2019-07-25 06:29:40 »
Hello, I wanted to ask if the 9999 dmg limit is removed in this mod. I always felt this was a source of extreme imbalance in the original FFVII, as it makes single hitting abilities far too weak compared to multi-hit ones. Many Lvl. 4 Limit Breaks were useless in the original FFVII due to this for example.

HeXy

• View Profile
    • Toast the Ghost
« Reply #8303 on: 2019-07-25 08:39:09 »
Hello again, i just saw that Cait sith have gained a new limit break "Transform".

Someone know if Cait sith have more limit breaks to unlock ? In vanilla he has only 2.

It is still only 2, but Transform is very handy when you need some hp :)

HeXy

• View Profile
    • Toast the Ghost
« Reply #8304 on: 2019-07-25 08:41:28 »
Hello, I wanted to ask if the 9999 dmg limit is removed in this mod. I always felt this was a source of extreme imbalance in the original FFVII, as it makes single hitting abilities far too weak compared to multi-hit ones. Many Lvl. 4 Limit Breaks were useless in the original FFVII due to this for example.

New Threat doesn't, but I've read that in 7th Heaven you can run New Threat + Reunion R03e, which contains the 9999 damage break, might be worth a look for you

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: 2019-07-25 08:58:25 »

Unfortunately, that's the only other new one he was given. I think at Limit Level 2 and beyond it is hard-coded to call his Slots even if the Limit Break isn't set to Slots. He can be given a 3rd Lv.1 Limit though, all the characters actually have 3 slots per Limit Level. I've never tested if it's possible to actually 'unlock' them in a default game by using your limit break 65535 times but all they'd likely do is say 'not enough MP' and cancel out.

HolyOkami

• View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: 2019-07-25 10:14:34 »
Thanks for the answer =)

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: 2019-07-25 13:45:27 »
I will probably play this soon.  It be nice to play on a balance mod with so much time and effort put into it.

PenguinGatez

• View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: 2019-07-26 07:21:13 »
I have a question about the boss for getting Vincent Final Limit. First question is why are my characters staying silenced after death? Next question why are my characters being silenced while wearing items that specifically stop you from being silenced. Also what is this ability that just drains my characters health? I believe it's called dual? but you can't dispel it with Ensuna. Last question is there like post or guide somewhere to help you fight these random bosses?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-26 08:16:52 by PenguinGatez »

sgravoboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: 2019-07-26 07:58:52 »
hoy! I play ff7 every year since it's release, I'm now at 40 hours played in the 1.5 NT MOD, I'm enjoying it a lot! I'm trying everything. however I'd like to know if is possible to have the real and updated excel for the steal / morph / drop complete list. seems that the docs in the installation folder are outdated (found like 10-15 wrong entries). I'd like also to suggest a couple things but I don't know if it's the right topic to discuss on it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8310 on: 2019-07-26 09:09:33 »
I have a question about the boss for getting Vincent Final Limit. First question is why are my characters staying silenced after death? Next question why are my characters being silenced while wearing items that specifically stop you from being silenced. Also what is this ability that just drains my characters health? I believe it's called dual? but you can't dispel it with Ensuna. Last question is there like post or guide somewhere to help you fight these random bosses?

Status immunity is effectively a block on being able to toggle a status; that means if something bypasses that immunity, for instance using a Tranquiliser on a character in the field menu when they have Peace Ring equipped (as status immunity isn't checked in the field module), it means that the status won't be removed. That's why Sadness/Fury can be made to persist during KO with a Peace Ring and it's the same thing going on with the Silence; if the character has equipped immunity, it'll override all the normal means of getting rid of it. Wasn't a great idea on my part to have attacks that ignore status immunity, but there it is.

Should also note that some attacks don't ignore status immunity but they do inflict Resist along with a status; this is a soft version of it where Resist prevents the toggle. Dispelling Resist and then curing the status is the way to deal with that.

Dual is treated like a magical effect, the same as Regen; Dispel will get rid of it, but the Antidote item can also remove it. As for guides, there's nothing official but there are people putting one together.

hoy! I play ff7 every year since it's release, I'm now at 40 hours played in the 1.5 NT MOD, I'm enjoying it a lot! I'm trying everything. however I'd like to know if is possible to have the real and updated excel for the steal / morph / drop complete list. seems that the docs in the installation folder are outdated (found like 10-15 wrong entries). I'd like also to suggest a couple things but I don't know if it's the right topic to discuss on it.

I'll see about updating it next week; was going to wait until I'd put the last update together but that's still a ways off.

Suggestions here are fine, as there's only one thread (which is messy, but that's just how the forum is set up). We have a discord channel though if you'd prefer to use that, there should be a link to it on the front page.

sgravoboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8311 on: 2019-07-26 10:24:32 »
I'm about to enter the final north crater, but already collected some lvl 4 limit and 3/4 special cave materia.
everything is really cool up to now a part from 2 things ( imo ). during Kalm Cloud flashback Sephiroth suffers damage. this is a big let down on the epic narrative of that section. I'd keep the old "zero" damage that sephiroth takes, just to enrich that section with the old feeling of him being unbeatable.
on a second note, I think that the Stardust item is way too powerful. I tried every comp in KOTR cave to beat that boss and reached a good wipe after 20-30 min (serpent on 15% hp left). tried every item on the boss to see every outcome, then I tried Stardust.  Stardust switched from 30-40 minutes fight into a 6 turn fight. it's a clever bypass or a cheese?
a part from these two details you did an INCREDIBLE work!!! and I still have to see the final part! thanks for your effort, you are a myth!!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8312 on: 2019-07-26 11:24:44 »
I'm about to enter the final north crater, but already collected some lvl 4 limit and 3/4 special cave materia.
everything is really cool up to now a part from 2 things ( imo ). during Kalm Cloud flashback Sephiroth suffers damage. this is a big let down on the epic narrative of that section. I'd keep the old "zero" damage that sephiroth takes, just to enrich that section with the old feeling of him being unbeatable.
on a second note, I think that the Stardust item is way too powerful. I tried every comp in KOTR cave to beat that boss and reached a good wipe after 20-30 min (serpent on 15% hp left). tried every item on the boss to see every outcome, then I tried Stardust.  Stardust switched from 30-40 minutes fight into a 6 turn fight. it's a clever bypass or a cheese?
a part from these two details you did an INCREDIBLE work!!! and I still have to see the final part! thanks for your effort, you are a myth!!

I'll try implementing the immunities again.

As for Stardust, it was nerfed a fair bit but then put back the way it was because some people had taken an interest in speedrunning the mod. When the final update goes out, it'll be more in line with everything else but still fairly powerful.

Torawakamaru

• View Profile
« Reply #8313 on: 2019-07-26 15:27:39 »
Hi Sega Chief, some things:

In Frog status my chars can still cast Pearl.

I just fought a serpent - at low HP she countered every move with Serpent Sand but targeted itself. The counter is tedious and the selfcast probably not intended (Proud Clod lists Slow-Numb + Darkness on All).

Also i am just watching a speedrun of your mod by Caleb and he did something i never heard of - [Added Effect] + [Barrier] in a weapon. With this he was able to put Shield / Wall / Reflect on his party members and...uh...was that always a thing, even in vanilla? Super cheap and with [Slash-All] i just did that to my party with one move.
I will abstain of this (for now) but...do you plan to balance that out (maybe by giving more bosses dispels) or do you have faith in the discipline of your playerbase?  8)

It's not like i want to see that removed - i actually like that some chars can spend their attacks for buffs and heals. And right now the useful Resist status balances this out anyways...somehow.
But maybe the Shield effect should get separated from the Barrier materia - the whole packet would be a powerful lategame combo that comes at the hefty price of -30 DEF/MR.
The parts of that combo could be nice for Aeris' weapons btw - staffs that provide Barrier or Mbarrier (or Regen or Antidote effect...). :--)
« Last Edit: 2019-07-26 22:49:17 by Torawakamaru »

OOOFloW

• View Profile
« Reply #8314 on: 2019-07-26 15:38:04 »
Just needed to vent... no complaint yet....

First try on the mime tonberry x6 boss.....

after waiting ages for a turn.... Cloud is dead, Tifa is petrified, Aerith is stopped+60 second timer on her head, which does not count down.

30 minutes later and the fight don't seem to end. Tonberry's only miss and walk. Been watching this fight ages. My hate for tonberry (and mostly the obnoxious anoying animation) is at it's peak. I have yet to give this boss a serious attempt... but damn the waits on this fight make me very reluctant.

PenguinGatez

• View Profile
« Reply #8315 on: 2019-07-26 15:54:22 »
Wait what did I get? I just beat Vincent boss for his limit and it gave me two items. I thought it was his limit and ultimate weapon but it was just his limit. So what did I get? follow question I have, how do you unlock everyone's ultimate weapon? Is that a different side quest? is information on them somewhere. Thanks for the help.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8316 on: 2019-07-26 16:12:48 »
Hi Sega Chief, some things:

In Frog status my chars can still cast Pearl.

I just fought a serpent - at low HP she countered every move with Serpent Sand but targeted itself. The counter is tedious and the selfcast probably not intended (Proud Clod lists Slow-Numb + Darkness on All).

Also i am just watching a speedrun of your mod by Caleb and he did something i never heard of - [Added Effect] + [Barrier] in a weapon. With this he was able to put Shield / Wall / Reflect on his party members and...uh...was that always a thing, even in vanilla? Super cheap and with [Slash-All] i just did that to my party with one move.
I will abstain of this (for now) but...do you plan to balance that out (maybe by giving more bosses dispels) or do you have faith in the discipline of your playerbase?  8)

It's not like i want to see that removed - i actually like that some chars can spend their attacks for buffs and heals. And right now the useful Resist status balances this out anyways...somehow.
But maybe the Shield effect should get separated from the Barrier materia - the whole packet it would be a powerful lategame combo that comes at the hefty price of -30 DEF/MR.
The parts of that combo could be nice for Aeris' weapons btw - staffs that provide Barrier or Mbarrier (or Regen or Antidote effect...). :--)

Pearl replaced the Frog spell, which is why that happens. Frog has special hard-coded access to that spell ID, next time I'll replace Mini with Pearl to avoid this.

AI oversight probably, I'll sort it.

I added the Barrier effects to Barrier Materia with the thought of giving a means to block Reflect, but for whatever reason decided to add all the Barrier effects to it. Pretty much forgot about it until some players started speedrunning the mod and I'm now in a tricky spot where removing this effect pretty much puts an end to feasible speedruns but leaving it in presents a balance issue some players might not be able to ignore. So it'll stay in for now, and then be removed from the final update because most of the files will be getting changed and the way I'm trying to design it will mean the game can be beaten in roughly the same time as the original.

Just needed to vent... no complaint yet....

First try on the mime tonberry x6 boss.....

after waiting ages for a turn.... Cloud is dead, Tifa is petrified, Aerith is stopped+60 second timer on her head, which does not count down.

30 minutes later and the fight don't seem to end. Tonberry's only miss and walk. Been watching this fight ages. My hate for tonberry (and mostly the obnoxious anoying animation) is at it's peak. I have yet to give this boss a serious attempt... but damn the waits on this fight make me very reluctant.

Yeah, they're super slow. Best thing to do is get Quadra Magic from the blue cave, combo it with Bahamut ZERO, and then buff the caster's magic up as high as possible and let it loose. Quadra 'breaks' the summon use limit allowing for it to be cast the same number of times Quadra has levelled so after dealing with their counter-attack, it can be cast again (Quadra and other materia can be levelled rapidly in North Crater, left-up path). Also avoid having any petrify resistance; if one stabs you, dispel the resist and then esuna/soft the petrify. If you have resistance to petrify then it won't be possible to remove the status.

The fight will be gone from next update so enjoy it while you can s:

Wait what did I get? I just beat Vincent boss for his limit and it gave me two items. I thought it was his limit and ultimate weapon but it was just his limit. So what did I get? follow question I have, how do you unlock everyone's ultimate weapon? Is that a different side quest? is information on them somewhere. Thanks for the help.

It's just the Limit Break, if it also displayed text for giving the weapon then that's in error but it might have dropped something else. I'll check when I get back from work (about to leave now).

kekko1285

• View Profile
« Reply #8317 on: 2019-07-26 16:40:12 »
I'll try implementing the immunities again.

I'm so happy to hear that. I felt very sad when I had to cure Sephiroth from the dragon's hits :'(

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8318 on: 2019-07-26 20:15:02 »
Follow up on the Vincent cave, the other item was an oversoul shard; 9 of which are used to make a Masamune at that blue house near Gongaga on the world map. There were other things it needed as well; a yoshiyuki and a ribbon I think. The masamune can be equipped by any character, takes on the appearance of their base weapon, and has a 100% crit rate.

AuthenticM

• View Profile
« Reply #8319 on: 2019-07-26 22:43:40 »
Hey,

First time poster here. I came accross this mod thanks to Maximilian's playthrough. It seems super rad, and I want to extend my congratulations to everyone who worked on it. A lot of thought went into it, and it shows.

I have a question. Is the mod still actively worked on substantially, or is what's available pretty much it? I'm asking because I don't mind waiting a bit for a potentially upcoming new version (though I think I would like to play it before Remake comes out).

Thanks

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8320 on: 2019-07-27 01:17:43 »
Hey,

First time poster here. I came accross this mod thanks to Maximilian's playthrough. It seems super rad, and I want to extend my congratulations to everyone who worked on it. A lot of thought went into it, and it shows.

I have a question. Is the mod still actively worked on substantially, or is what's available pretty much it? I'm asking because I don't mind waiting a bit for a potentially upcoming new version (though I think I would like to play it before Remake comes out).

Thanks

The mod is complete in the sense that everything is in there, the only incomplete thing is the speak to party in towns feature as that only extends to Junon and Kalm at the moment.

What happens is, I tend to do patches for bugs now and then with balance tweaks or occasionally implement something that was suggested based on notes that I collect. Then after a while, I do a full sweep of the files and upgrade the version number if there were significant changes made.

The next planned upgrade is the last one, there's fundamental balancing issues in the mod that I'm going to sort out but that requires a full revamp of the game's enemies. It'll be more drastic than the previous upgrades, but also still a fair ways off so it's probably best to just go with what's currently there.

Give my regards to Max; I've not had the chance to speak to him directly (seems like a busy guy), but I hope he's still enjoying the mod and not hit any serious snags with bugs or balancing.

PenguinGatez

• View Profile
« Reply #8321 on: 2019-07-27 06:49:30 »
Man I was having a blast in disc 1! I felt strong but not to strong, felt like a good balance. Hit disc 2 and this power creep is insane! My character are almost 99 and they're just getting shit on. I'm always on the back burner, I think myself "hey I'll go get this item or this ability it will help". I get there and that item or ability is gone! It's been replaced with something that won't help, like I'm contently being cucked to stay underpowered. Which really sucks because the only way I see getting stronger at this point is to cheat and that's a let down. Thought this mod wasn't a hard mode? I was thinking of playing the other difficulty after this play through, but after seeing what disc 2 is like I think I'll just be done after this. Yup, this mod broke me. First time cheating in a FF. feelsbadman.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8322 on: 2019-07-27 10:59:54 »
Man I was having a blast in disc 1! I felt strong but not to strong, felt like a good balance. Hit disc 2 and this power creep is insane! My character are almost 99 and they're just getting strawberries on. I'm always on the back burner, I think myself "hey I'll go get this item or this ability it will help". I get there and that item or ability is gone! It's been replaced with something that won't help, like I'm contently being cucked to stay underpowered. Which really sucks because the only way I see getting stronger at this point is to cheat and that's a let down. Thought this mod wasn't a hard mode? I was thinking of playing the other difficulty after this play through, but after seeing what disc 2 is like I think I'll just be done after this. Yup, this mod broke me. First time cheating in a FF. feelsbadman.

Just to check, how many sources are your characters getting when using the rank up function? Is it 1-3 or 5-15?

PenguinGatez

• View Profile
« Reply #8323 on: 2019-07-27 18:59:54 »
Just to check, how many sources are your characters getting when using the rank up function? Is it 1-3 or 5-15?

it's 5-15. 5 of other sources. 10-15 for what I picked.

Torawakamaru

• View Profile
« Reply #8324 on: 2019-07-27 22:50:19 »
@PenguinGatez
Do you mind to elaborate on your difficulties further? I am especially interested in your solutions so far.

For my Arrange playthrough i decided to get as much defense as i can on my chars and then build a slow, controlled playstyle around them. A lot of Resist. And so far that works quite well; not without its share of problem but i like the results. FF7 damage reduction gets ridiculous when you reach 250+.

It seems the mod has some kind of failsafe methods: When i lacked damage, i fought with Barret and his Drill Arm - this way i got guaranteed ~2,5k - 4k damage. Normal attacks don't shred me anymore if i stack Cover Materia. There are Touph Rings and Weapons with 50 SPR (lol). And almost every enemy is susceptible to at least 1 status ailment.