Author Topic: FF8 Steam and Addons  (Read 33865 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
FF8 Steam and Addons
« on: 2014-06-12 12:30:25 »
I referenced this topic for Addons for FF8:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8715.125

I posted a thread HERE on how to use these Add-ons with Aali's driver and DLPB's Multi.dll, but what I want to know is -- can we use these with the steam version??
Would the dx_hook.dll with accompanying config file work with this version? or would you have to use DLPB's multi.dll??  Is there a way? I love these add-ons!

Addons:

Hard.dll - Makes the game generally more difficult:
(decreases the player's melee damage by a factor of 1.5, increase the level of enemies by a factor of 1.1, and increase the melee damage of enemies by a factor of 1.1; this does not effect magic damage)

Damage.dll -   Max damage increased to 65k instead of 9999; affects your group and opponents too.
HP.dll -   Max hp cap increased to 32k from 9999
Magic.dll -   You won't lose magic from your inventory when you cast it in battle - but it negates Double and Triple effects [i don't really like this mod - it feels broken]
Publish.dll -   Gets rid of Eidos logo at startup  [this might break Steam version, but is nice for PC version]
« Last Edit: 2014-07-12 00:10:23 by Mcindus »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 Steam and Addons
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-15 14:23:28 »
I am close to releasing DLPB Tools 2 soon... and that will include a new tool (multi.dll is being retired) which is a launcher.  The launcher can be used with any game, and will also load any DLLs you have from a custom folder.  If you want to use those dlls with Steam version now, then use a DLL loader (and load multi.dll or all dlls in) or use HextLoader from current dlpb tools.
« Last Edit: 2014-06-15 21:07:30 by DLPB »

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-16 02:53:26 »
Thank you DLPB! I'll be looking forward to Tools 2!

Iceboundphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-26 02:07:23 »
so my FF8 hardcore play-through is almost upon me? Awesome I really want to play ff8 with those .dll files but I have the steam version and still can't play with those .dll files. btw I tried getting your multi.dll download but its not there anymore? neither is the hexteditor one either? I can just wait for the 2.0 one though hope to see it soon otherwise its another ff7 hardcore run for me.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-03 22:31:55 »
The new DLPB Tools 2 is now out, and the launcher there will allow it.

JeMaCheHi

• You can just call me J!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel :D
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-04 23:43:57 »
Did you make that dlls with steam version and new DPLB's tools? I tried to make HextLaunch to work but it didn't. I mean, the game played well, but the dll's wasn't loaded. And the only info the log threw is:
Code: [Select]
Error: Damage.dll was not loaded.
Error: HP.dll was not loaded.

I didn't use Hext instruction lists and the file I'm loading with HextLaunch is FF8_ES.exe. Maybe it's not the correct one.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-07 10:58:48 »
That's a little weird...  I suppose I could add further information to see if we can narrow that down.  But there is always a reason for it not loading them... 

Make sure you have changed settings.ini 

The line starting Process=

should be

Process=FF8_ES.exe 

The dlls should load into any process.  Keep me posted.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-10 15:26:35 »
Sorry for my late reply, I was with the finals! Now I'm free!! :D

My current settings.ini is that one

[HextLaunch]
File=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\FF8_ES.exe
Process=FF8_ES.exe
Window=
LoadHext=0
InjectDLL=1
NoInput=1
Delay=1000

I tried by changing LoadHext from 0 to 1 without success. Also tried by putting "Final Fantasy VIII" in Window= line. Tried to running it from game's directory or in another one. No success either. Oh, and tried by using absolute and relative paths to the exe, but as you'll imagine, didn't work.
I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't see what is it. I read the readme.rtf and I think I'm doing everything as described...

And, the complete log is that one:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\FF8_ES.exe opened successfully.
Succeeded in loading by Process Name.

Error: Damage.dll was not loaded.
Error: HP.dll was not loaded.

10/07/2014, 17:21:44

Any ideas?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-10 16:00:35 »
Under "File=", put a path to the launcher instead of the game itself. FF7 and FF8's Steam versions have really wonky launchers, and if I'm not mistaken, opening FF8_es.exe will cause the game to open the launcher and quit itself, preventing patches from being applied properly.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-10 16:53:52 »
Thanks Covarr,

What happens here is that we have 2 launchers, plus FF8_ES.exe. In short:

FF8_ES.exe
FF8_Launcher.exe
FF8_Launch2.exe

No matter which one you open, it will always show the launcher (where you chose play, options, chocoboworld etc), and won't load dlls. I tried everyone of them in File= line. I'm running out of ideas, I think I tried everything.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-11 15:53:32 »
As long as the process is ff8_es.exe and you have that line under process=, it can't fail... unless there is some bug with my tool that I can't replicate OR a problem with the dlls.

Send me the dlls AND your ini file and the log.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-11 18:19:53 »
As long as the process is ff8_es.exe and you have that line under process=, it can't fail... unless there is some bug with my tool that I can't replicate OR a problem with the dlls.

Send me the dlls AND your ini file and the log.

The dlls are damage.dll and hp.dll from the post mcindus referred in his first post (that one http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8715.125). The file is FF8_Launcher1.4-AddOns.rar and there you can find the dlls. I don't know how to send them directly to you so I tell you where I got them.

About the ini file, since you told me to put the line under "process=" and covarr told me to do it under "file=", i tried both separatedly and together with no result. I'll paste it here:
[HextLaunch]
File=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\FF8_ES.exe
Process=FF8_ES.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VIII\FF8_Launch2.exe
Window=Final Fantasy VIII
LoadHext=0
InjectDLL=1
NoInput=1
Delay=6000

In that ini I refer to FF8_Launch2, but I tried with FF8_Launcher too. Actually I (think I) tried every possible combination of configurations and anything worked.

Thanks again for your help DLPB

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-11 18:26:29 »
Be right back.

edit.

Works fine here.

MAke sure you are running the program as admin.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-11 18:38:15 by DLPB »

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-11 18:44:34 »
While I'm writing this I'm using the same ini file I just posted before, executing HextLaunch.exe as admin in my windows 7 64bit. Maybe isn't it compatible with Spanish version? I don't know what else can be...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-11 18:46:48 »
HextLaunch should be compatible with any version. Hell, it should be compatible with any application period. Even if the DLL isn't actually compatible with that application, it should still load (and potentially cause all sorts of trouble, but that's not the same as not loading).

You didn't answer DLPB whether you ran the program as admin or not. It's absolutely necessary.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-11 18:53:07 »
I'm also using win 7 64bit... it loads the dlls into 199* version of ff8.  No issues. I will add further logging in later revisions so that any errors can be narrowed down... but this doesnt seem to be an issue with my program.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-11 19:06:08 »
HextLaunch should be compatible with any version. Hell, it should be compatible with any application period. Even if the DLL isn't actually compatible with that application, it should still load (and potentially cause all sorts of trouble, but that's not the same as not loading).

You didn't answer DLPB whether you ran the program as admin or not. It's absolutely necessary.

Yes, I did. I told I'm using HextLaunch as admin in my last post. I'm using Steam version but as you said, Covarr, it should work with any application. Maybe I should check in FF8's properties to run as admin always?

Edit: By the way, my ini is correct then, aren't it? It's correct what I put under Process?
Sorry about all the inconvenience guys, I always have this kind of trouble: something simple that works for everyone, doesn't for me u.u
« Last Edit: 2014-07-11 19:25:30 by JeMaCheHi »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-07-11 20:02:01 »
Yes, I did. I told I'm using HextLaunch as admin in my last post. I'm using Steam version but as you said, Covarr, it should work with any application.
My apologies, I missed that bit.
FF8 shouldn't need to run as admin for this to work... but for what it's worth, if you're running one application as admin and it launches another, then the new one will be admin anyway.

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-07-11 21:40:42 »
No need to apologise! Hahaha

I know that, and it's obvious that it should work that way, but you know, sometimes Windows is so "magical" that you have to do absurd things in order to get it working.

I've been trying with this a couple of hours and I'm getting exhausted man. I tried by installing FF8 both in C:/ drive and D:/ drive (I have 2 steam drives), and booting hextlaunch from the game's folder and from outside of it. It's still not working. You guys made it work in your steam versions? The same dlls? The same config file? (obviously subtituing FF8_ES for EN or whatever).

I'm starting to think that the problem is the Spanish version...

Mcindus

• View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #19 on: 2014-07-11 21:56:48 »
No need to apologise! Hahaha

I know that, and it's obvious that it should work that way, but you know, sometimes Windows is so "magical" that you have to do absurd things in order to get it working.

I've been trying with this a couple of hours and I'm getting exhausted man. I tried by installing FF8 both in C:/ drive and D:/ drive (I have 2 steam drives), and booting hextlaunch from the game's folder and from outside of it. It's still not working. You guys made it work in your steam versions? The same dlls? The same config file? (obviously subtituing FF8_ES for EN or whatever).

I'm starting to think that the problem is the Spanish version...

Are you using any Tonberry Mods? or the sweetFX graphic plugin?  If so, I'm not sure, but that might be the problem.

I've been trying to test this myself and have been having the same issues as JeMaCheHi.  Going to continue to test. 

Should I put ALL .dll's here? like RaW, the tonberry dll injector, etc?  or just the difficulty .dll's that we're trying to add? (considering it all works fine as-is)

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-07-11 22:02:17 »
Are you using any Tonberry Mods? or the sweetFX graphic plugin?  If so, I'm not sure, but that might be the problem.

I've been trying to test this myself and have been having the same issues as JeMaCheHi.  Going to continue to test. 

Should I put ALL .dll's here? like RaW, the tonberry dll injector, etc?  or just the difficulty .dll's that we're trying to add? (considering it all works fine as-is)

Yes, I'm using Tonberry mods. Actually, I'm using your two mods (SeeD and Tripod, great job man) and Eden project. I removed them but problem still continues. What version of the game are you using?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-07-11 22:05:33 »
All dlls should be placed in DLL_in

apart from bass.dll  which should remain in root

JeMaCheHi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-07-11 22:13:26 »
All dlls should be placed in DLL_in

apart from bass.dll  which should remain in root

When you say all you mean ALL, even non mods related?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-07-11 22:14:48 »
Any dll that needs loading should be placed in that folder.  Unless the DLL is needed elsewhere (like bass.dll is).  99% they go in DLL_in.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-07-11 22:22:57 »
Any dll that needs loading should be placed in that folder.  Unless the DLL is needed elsewhere (like bass.dll is).  99% they go in DLL_in.

To clarify this, any DLL that is loaded by the game anyway, that came with ff8, shouldn't be in DLL_in, because the game is loading it on its own rather than using hextlaunch. This will be the case with any game; if the DLL is already included with the game, don't go moving it. If you're adding it yourself, stick it in DLL_in unless it has a clear and specific need not to be.