Author Topic: Error Message When I Try To Load Up FF7  (Read 2802 times)

NeoBix

Error Message When I Try To Load Up FF7
« on: 2007-07-14 20:08:19 »
Well, I don't really know how to explain what has happened, because everything was working *GREAT* with FF7 up until today when I tried to play.  So I log onto my computer and click on FF7 icon to start it up and then BAM it smacks me in the face with this error message:

"C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\ff7.exe

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

WTF is this supposed to mean??  LOL.  How frustrating!!!  I just want to rip my hair out!

Just so everyone knows, I do have the actual game.  I didn't download it.  I have all of the discs right here with me, so why should I not have the permission to play the game?  I don't understand this at all.

If anyone on here has had a similar experience with this problem I would very much appreciate any help you could offer me.  Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: 2007-07-14 20:18:15 by NeoBix »

Zack

• View Profile
Re: Error Message When I Try To Load Up FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-15 14:40:11 »
Have you checked in Windows if you have the appropriate permission to access the ff7.exe? Try right clicking on the executable and then going to properties and navigate to the security tab.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-15 14:45:19 »
Note, the security tab may not show up unless you disable "Simple File Sharing" (XP) or the "Sharing Wizard" (Vista).  To do this, go to Tools -> Options (in any folder) and look at the end of the list on the second tab.

GuardianAsher

« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-15 20:41:24 »
Could you perhaps give the specifications of your computer, perhaps hard drive model? I've seen a lot of problems with hard drives going out, and subtle things happen like a certain file becomes corrupted. Or, you could go to your Program Files directory and make sure the executable is in it's place. I've also seen where, if someone else has access to your computer, they poke around random files and delete them. Any one of these are a possibility, as well as administrative issues.

Also, have you scanned your computer for viruses or spyware? Some of the nasty ones can lock out access to certain EXE's, too.

NeoBix

« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-16 09:46:58 »
Thank you all for the feedback, but actually, after I downloaded and patched the V1.02 patch everything was working good.  UNTIL... I got to the chocobo race part and it crashed, so then I downloaded the chocobo race fix patch and then it was working good again... UNTIL... (lol, I know, I've had more problems with this game than any other game I've ever played) I was running around after I got out of Gold Saucer and then the game crashed when I got in a fight with Yuffie.  THEN I opened the game back up and when I got into my first random battle it crashed again, so I've sort of given up hope on it.  The game is just far too buggy!  I might try again later.   :cry: