Author Topic: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)  (Read 704209 times)

FinalFanatic

• View Profile
Re: [PSX/PC] KERNEL.BIN editor - WallMarket (v1.4.5)
« Reply #1250 on: 2020-06-24 04:02:35 »
I did a lot of detective work and managed to locate the kernel.bin file, extract it from the .BIN, edit it with WM, and reinsert it into the .BIN file. However, when repacking the game onto my PSP, it crashes once I select 'Item' from the main menu.

To help clarify: the game does run (I started on Disc One), and as a matter of fact, if I select 'Magic' from the main menu, I can see some of the changes I made: Ice to Blizzard and Bolt to Thunder, for example. But, if I select Item or Materia, the PSP system crashes.

I narrowed the issue to something being edited in the kernel.bin file. I came to this conclusion because I originally started with my 3 physical disc copies of PSX FFVII and packed them onto my PSP as an eboot.pbp. The game played perfectly. But, let's say before repacking them, I modified the kernel.bin. That's when the crash issue comes up. I've tried making less modifications (to the point of just changing Cure2 to Cura), making sure the new kernel.bin is the same or slightly smaller size in KB than the original, but it still crashes.

I've searched and found this thread http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8377.0 which pretty much describes the same issue and the only clue I found was something about the memory alignment?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1251 on: 2020-06-24 14:52:30 »
You may have either too long of a string or an invalid character on either an item or a materia. I don't recall the limit (or even if there is one) and the characters don't work past code 240 or so. Double check your texts. If they aren't too long (16 for names and probably 40 for descriptions) then PM me.

FinalFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: 2020-07-02 23:48:33 »
Well this is interesting. Modifying KERNEL.BIN will make my eboot.PBP crash on my PSP, but not on ePSXe.

Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

Kidcrash123

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: 2020-07-19 22:34:02 »
Well this is interesting. Modifying KERNEL.BIN will make my eboot.PBP crash on my PSP, but not on ePSXe.

Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

I was not able to get an eboot file to load on my psp. Would always freeze before I could get to the new game/continue screen. Could not get the iso to work on a ps1 or ps2 using a dew different techniques.

I have been successful with using ePSXe so far. Have you had any luck with your eboot yet?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1254 on: 2020-07-19 23:30:37 »
Take that discussion to another topic, please. This is about WM. If we’re convinced that WM is not the cause then the solution would be found easier in a new thread.

Velkan

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: 2020-09-21 01:20:28 »
Hi NFITC1,

And thanks for this miracle-tool. It's amazing and full of love!

I was experimenting with its many functions and wanted to put "Shadow Flare" as a normal magic spell on (for example) the forth slot inside the destruc materis but didn't worked. I put Shadow Flare's ID in the last slot of spells in the destruct materia and even though it seemed to have worked it didn't appear on the casting magic list.

It's possible to do this?

Thankyou very much for all this!

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1256 on: 2020-09-21 03:51:27 »
No. Shadow Flare's an E.Skill and can't be accessed through the Magic menu so it won't be granted by a magic materia. Green materia only grant access to actions with IDs no greater than 56.

Velkan

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: 2020-09-21 09:29:44 »
Thankyou for your response NFITC1!!  :)

I also tried replacing the animation ID of a green materia spell with Shadow Flare's but it didn't work either.  :(
« Last Edit: 2020-09-21 09:36:56 by Velkan »

Gingercat

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: 2021-01-05 09:46:48 »
Heee! I'm so glad to see that this wonderful program is still alive and kicking :D (And that I'm still mentioned in the credits, lol.)

I've decided to go back to oldskool FF7 since it's been a few years, and figured I'd drop in and say hi in the process since I'll be using WM to stack some Materia growth to my advantage, and... a few other fun tweaks.

So... Hi! How's everyone doing now that 2020 is officially in the past?

killXtech

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: 2021-03-20 04:32:38 »
Idk if anyone can actually help me with this or if I'll have to find it myself, but I have no idea how to access the kernel.bin file. The only thing I can find is the .bin for each disc of the game. I assume the kernel is found within but I can't seem to find a way to open it and look around. I'd like to do some value modification and maybe add materia slots to early weapons but not much else. Gameshark has been my primary method for modding FF7 but after finding this, if I can get it to work, I can finally do some things I'd only dreamed of doing. Thanks in advance for any help, even if in the end, I'm on my own

Edit: Idk how I missed Sega Chief's post on the previous page when looking for info but I believe I have found my answer. I only hope that I don't actually need a disk drive and have to extract it from my physical copy as my laptop doesn't have one
« Last Edit: 2021-03-24 00:08:46 by killXtech »

Salk

• View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: 2021-04-16 13:35:33 »
I downloaded WallMarket 1.4.5 and it seems the last version is from 2010 (!).

Perhaps that is why I was not too surprised that when I run the .exe on Windows 10 nothing happened.

Anyone successful at running this tool on a modern OS?

My bad: I had not installed the required Power Pack software. WallMarket 1.4.5 does start on Windows10. I will see if I can understand how it works.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2021-04-16 13:39:50 by Salk »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1261 on: 2021-04-16 22:54:48 »
Yeah... I have a WIP version that goes between “working” and “not good enough” and “completely broken”. Development stalled a lot during the past year for probably obvious reasons. I still think about it, but at the current point I’m not sure what still isn’t working.

DEFIANT

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: 2021-04-23 03:29:49 »
im trying to edit the psx mod Retranslation R06g...but wallmarket crashes with this error

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at WallMarket.WMCommon.FF7Names(Byte[] NameArray, Byte NameIndex)
   at WallMarket.Form1.Load_Attack_Desc(String KERNEL10)
   at WallMarket.Form1.Open_KERNEL(Char kernel)
   at WallMarket.Form1.OpenKERNELBINToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at WallMarket.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9151 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WallMarket
    Assembly Version: 1.4.5.0
    Win32 Version: 1.4.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/%23Mods/final%20fantasy%207/tools/WallMarket145/WallMarket.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks
    Assembly Version: 9.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.0.30214.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks/9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1263 on: 2021-04-23 15:26:27 »
Then they're apparently using a text that WM isn't capable of modifying (possibly a different language or a text that is longer than normal). 1.4.5 isn't really equipped to resolve that, unfortunately. You can continue running the program after loading and possibly dump pieces and see if it will let you load those. You might need to edit the attack description piece before loading.

jdvankey

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: 2021-05-07 22:14:47 »
I'm trying to open WM on Windows 10 but I am having issues. I installed .net framework 4.5 and the only VB Power Packs available was 10.0 (the 3.0 link is broken). But I still can't get it to open. Does anyone have any helpful tips to get it going?

Jonesin4Rock

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: 2021-05-15 16:28:09 »
Also having the same issue as jdvankey

Bonez

• Cosmo Memory Dev
  • Global moderator
  • What goes here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: 2021-05-16 05:15:11 »
Yep. Same deal... Reformatted my c drive and now can't open Wallmarket. (have .net and VB Power Pack)... It worked fine before the format. Frustrating. Can't work on my mod.

Update: VB Power Pack 10.0 is a no go... Gotta have that 3.0... Since the real link is down (probably forever)I had to find it elsewhere. https://microsoft-visual-basic-power-packs.software.informer.com/download/
« Last Edit: 2021-05-16 05:27:29 by Bonez »

WonderSquid

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: 2021-06-30 03:10:56 »
Unsure if this is being actively worked on, but I might as well report a bug I guess? When attempting to edit whether a weapon can be sold, used in battle, or used in the item menu, flags will be written to the wrong location. Checking those boxes will result in the flags instead being toggled for "Miss if not Dead", "Reflectable", and "Def Ignoring" in the weapon properties table, and will also show up as such in-game. Editing flags within the Weapon Properties works normally/correctly, but attempting to enable flags in the item/sell menu does not. It does however read all these flags correctly when simply viewing the weapons without making any changes, and this problem does not occur in the Armor or Accessory menus.

Apologies if this has been reported already, and thank you for making this program!
« Last Edit: 2021-06-30 08:25:30 by WonderSquid »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #1268 on: 2021-06-30 15:52:37 »
Yes. 1.5 is still being worked on. It's a MAJOR rewrite of a lot of internals and a few visual differences. It will hopefully make problems like this easier to identify and resolve. I'm so sorry for the (years-long) delay. I don't get a lot of dedicated time to it.

WonderSquid

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: 2021-07-01 02:19:58 »
No worries, I'm glad it exists at all and has a UI that's not busted to shit on top of everything else. I wish you luck!

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: 2021-07-26 08:26:55 »
Unsure if this is being actively worked on, but I might as well report a bug I guess? When attempting to edit whether a weapon can be sold, used in battle, or used in the item menu, flags will be written to the wrong location. Checking those boxes will result in the flags instead being toggled for "Miss if not Dead", "Reflectable", and "Def Ignoring" in the weapon properties table, and will also show up as such in-game. Editing flags within the Weapon Properties works normally/correctly, but attempting to enable flags in the item/sell menu does not. It does however read all these flags correctly when simply viewing the weapons without making any changes, and this problem does not occur in the Armor or Accessory menus.

Apologies if this has been reported already, and thank you for making this program!
I've had this issue with Java.

https://files.catbox.moe/3fkk17.png

So I guess the solution is to enforce atomic operations where needed (no idea where that is) and refresh the renderer at the end of every update. Though making the entire program as small as possible so more of it fits in the smallest applicable cache may help too and couldn't hurt. I only encountered this behavior when the editor got huge.
« Last Edit: 2021-07-27 13:37:18 by MysticLord »

XLMaths

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: 2022-01-16 11:45:35 »
WallMarket and ProudClod don't work - they say "access to [path] denied" when I try to create the new KERNEL/SCENE.BIN files.

Any way around this? I've tried using Admin privileges and relocating the source files.

Pure_Mind_Games

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: 2022-06-26 10:18:36 »
wallmarkethelp.chm doesn't seem to work, no matter what I click on the page is just blank

jJhal1.th.png" border="0

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: 2022-07-26 03:08:19 »
https://www.malavida.com/en/soft/visual-basic-power-packs/download

This site currently still has the setup exe to install the VB Power Packs 3.0. I downloaded, scanned for anything, and installed. It should be fine but download at your own risk.

Nonetheless, I'll kept the setup exe in case of anything.

Pure_Mind_Games

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: 2022-08-12 10:41:27 »
Is it possible to increase how often 'Added Effect' goes off and change Chocobuckle to also multiply by level like in the original Japanese release? Or would I need something else like 'Materia Keeper'?
« Last Edit: 2022-08-12 11:01:01 by Pure_Mind_Games »