Author Topic: FF14 panned by critics and users  (Read 46486 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF14 panned by critics and users
« Reply #75 on: 2010-10-25 06:20:45 »
I think people would still eat up a FF7 remake. It's not too late, if they make one that plays faithfully to the original. The Kingdom Hearts series, and Space Invaders Extreme, have shown they still know how to make a good game. Just the recent FF games have been getting screwed.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010-10-25 06:35:50 »
They should have made the FFVII remake many years ago, when people actually wanted it (by people I mean FFVII players).  Now its too late...well not for them to make money, but too late for them to make anything resembling a good game.  The rest of this post has been aborted due to imminent cognitive shutdown aka i'm too tied to finish this.
i agree. ff7 wouldn't look to flashy back in the day, but at least it would have good gameplay.

nowadays square games are focused on visual presentation. if you can put that aside, there is little left that still draws you to the game. i remember being hooked to ff7/ff8. also ff12. but ff13, for instance, is just a game to me. i can put it down and not play it for a couple of weeks. that was unthinkable with older square games (for me).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-10-25 10:10:55 »
I think people would still eat up a FF7 remake. It's not too late, if they make one that plays faithfully to the original.

They won't...  they said as much.  They want to make everything HD and are not prepared to put the time in to remake VII.  Ironically they were conceding that these days they settle for second best as long as graphics are good they couldn't give a toss.

I hope they don't remake, because Senix these days is more money driven than ever and will not do the game justice.  It will be an over-the-top graphic fest, dumbed down for casual gamer.

On the plus side, I could look at the translation and burgle parts.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #78 on: 2010-10-25 18:51:30 »
At this point I would settle for a game that had an identical materia system (i never played CC so idk how its materia was) to FFVII.  Materia is always fun, in Dirge, Ehrgeiz, anything else it may have been in...but I have always wanted a newish game with the full materia selection and a similar method of setting it up.  Why, why is this system only in one game?  The same goes for the junction system.  I mean, a blank game that contained nothing but a track to obtain materia or magic, and equipment to put it on with generic battles/story/graphics would still be a good game. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-10-25 21:12:45 »
I think people would still eat up a FF7 remake. It's not too late, if they make one that plays faithfully to the original.

They won't...  they said as much.  They want to make everything HD and are not prepared to put the time in to remake VII.  Ironically they were conceding that these days they settle for second best as long as graphics are good they couldn't give a toss.
I'm not saying they will. But if they do eventually get around to remaking the game, it'll most likely be done right. As a whole, their remakes have generally played faithfully to the games they've been based on, just look at FFIVDS.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-10-25 21:49:38 »
Yeah but none of those have been on hardware which allows for the same freedom as the PS3...  since games have gone onto next generation consoles with the power of the PS3, the quality has gone down while the graphics have gone up....

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-10-26 03:38:52 »
I would disagree that FF have been going downhill in quality.

While they don't have that "wow" factor they used to have, they're not the only rpg game in town as we've all played hundreds of games.  It's harder to impress people who've played RPG's for well over 10 years than newcomers to the genre.

FFX was pretty good even though Tidus sucked.  FFXII was a horrible mistake since the game could have been so awesome.  Only a few tweaks could have made it the best ever story-wise (no Vaan and Penelo, an ending that made sense, more political intrigue).  And XIII (not finished yet, nearing the end of disc 2 - or for the ps3 player i'm getting people out of prison) is pretty good so far even though the "on-rails" comment are somewhat justified but that's not very different from most games out there.  I do miss the world map though.  Made things look so much more ... grand.

I wouldn't say new FF's are bad game at all.

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010-10-26 09:51:37 »
I would disagree that FF have been going downhill in quality.

While they don't have that "wow" factor they used to have, they're not the only rpg game in town as we've all played hundreds of games.  It's harder to impress people who've played RPG's for well over 10 years than newcomers to the genre.

FFX was pretty good even though Tidus sucked.  FFXII was a horrible mistake since the game could have been so awesome.  Only a few tweaks could have made it the best ever story-wise (no Vaan and Penelo, an ending that made sense, more political intrigue).  And XIII (not finished yet, nearing the end of disc 2 - or for the ps3 player i'm getting people out of prison) is pretty good so far even though the "on-rails" comment are somewhat justified but that's not very different from most games out there.  I do miss the world map though.  Made things look so much more ... grand.

I wouldn't say new FF's are bad game at all.

ff12 story left a lot to be desired. but the gambit system was an awesome improvement, which eliminated a lot of boring stuff from the game (repetitive battles).

ff13 sucks because it is so damn linear that it is ridiculous. and it feels more like simplified ff12 battle system with ffx level up system. you can jump around when exploring areas, but only in select zones.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-10-26 09:56:08 »
I didn't think gambits were awesome at all.  I think that is the single worst system I have ever seen short of full AI.  The idea of a game is to actually play it.  Watching your characters mindlessly slash about because you added a poxy "fight if HP >2000" is not my idea of well thought out.  I made it through 12 with 2 gambits fight and cure.  That's it.

If a game with turn based strategy requires you to keep pushing X it is not because the system is flawed but because the difficulty and the design is flawed.  There are numerous things in 7 that keep you occupied, from enemy skills to summons, all of which you choose.  X was a step forward because you could even control the summons.,

12 was a step back because it took control away from you and 13 was the joke of the planet because it took 2 characters away from you completely and even had an auto fight option.

Dumbed down springs to mind.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-10-26 12:38:11 »
I believe 12 has a great gambit system just not a lovable cast. I hate it how games look so good on trailer and when the gameplay comes up it sucks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-10-26 17:24:30 »
13 was the joke of the planet because it [...] even had an auto fight option.
Obviously somebody didn't play a lot of XIII. Auto fight is useful for grinding (which never required anything more than mashing X anyway, even in earlier games). You try to use it on a more difficult enemy or boss, it's a surefire way to lose. It's also impossible to succeed without putting significant thought into what paradigms you have; I spend a fair amount of time in the menu examining and switching up my paradigms between battles, especially after losing against a boss and preparing to try again.

XIII had plenty of strategy where it needed it. Personally, I think the battle system was one of the few things NOT wrong with the game. It felt like a second try at XII's gambit system, except this time they got it really right.

Although I'd be curious about the idea of giving actual control of more characters in other games. Imagine one person with two humans in Left 4 Dead. Difficult, at least.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-10-26 19:44:49 »
Now we are drifting through a sea of opinions.  I don't know if the gambit/auto-fight stuff makes it a worse game, but i know I didn't really enjoy my time in the menu of XIII.  I also never learned to like the 'track' leveling systems.  To me they are simply an illusion of customizability. 

If a game with turn based strategy requires you to keep pushing X it is not because the system is flawed but because the difficulty and the design is flawed.  There are numerous things in 7 that keep you occupied, from enemy skills to summons, all of which you choose.  X was a step forward because you could even control the summons.,

This is pretty much how I feel.  But DLPB makes a good point, "...all of which you choose.''  In VIII I loved the idea of Using the Mysterious Lamp to get Diablos, Fighting Tonberries to get the King, Doing a puzzle and battle for Odin, Pheonix Pinion, etc.  Maybe I'm just a side-quest whore.

endlessdamage

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2010-10-26 19:49:58 »
This is pretty much how I feel.  But DLPB makes a good point, "...all of which you choose.''  In VIII I loved the idea of Using the Mysterious Lamp to get Diablos, Fighting Tonberries to get the King, Doing a puzzle and battle for Odin, Pheonix Pinion, etc.  Maybe I'm just a side-quest whore.

I completely agree with this. I love having mysteries/puzzles to try and figure out. It makes everything even more interesting and much more complicated then just the battle strategy and where to go next.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2010-10-26 22:54:41 »
ff13 sucks because it is so damn linear that it is ridiculous. and it feels more like simplified ff12 battle system with ffx level up system. you can jump around when exploring areas, but only in select zones.

I don't really mind linear.  Or free roaming.  Either have their strong points.

JRPG's to me have always been more about watching an interactive visual novel than anything else.  In that regard FFXIII is stellar.

And the battle system is 10 times better than XII although so far (same point as original post) I sure wouldn't say it's hard.  A team with a commando and a sentinel with a medic/ravager beats pretty much anything I've seen so far ...   Rarely have to use anything else ... and I surely haven't died 30 times.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2010-10-29 03:03:24 »
FF 14 sUX0rzzz even tho I never playd it!?!?!  Rabble Rabble Rabble!!!!

Edit:  That was uncalled for, Sorry :(
« Last Edit: 2010-10-29 05:43:34 by xLostWingx »

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2010-10-29 16:12:59 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:32:16 by Jenova's Witness »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010-10-29 16:26:56 »
Well in Advent Children Cloud either a. Had a lobotomy (oh jeez how is that spelled), or b. His schizoid personality disorder took over killed his affect.  I prefer to pretend AC was just a dream...just like all of you.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2010-10-29 17:49:23 »
So I'll never play a remake of FF7 because it will feature Emo Cloud, Asian Tifa, it won't have any swearing, cross-dressing, gay gyms, Don Corneo won't be a pervert, Vincent won't be creepy, Red XIII will take himself seriously and no one will make fun of him for it, and a million other things will be wrong because it will be made for 7 to 14 year olds who love modern anime.  And I bet they'll simplify the Materia system for them too.
There's no way this is right. Chances are, if the game ever actually gets remade, it'll be for handheld systems, done by TOSE, and feature pretty much everything in the original game. Dialogue might be somewhat reworked and retranslated, difficulty will be balanced, and an extra optional dungeon will be added.

TOSE does pretty much all of S-E's remakes, and they ALWAYS follow this formula.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2010-10-29 17:57:28 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:31:55 by Jenova's Witness »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2010-10-30 03:19:52 »