Author Topic: sound dying in movie cut scenes  (Read 7430 times)

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
sound dying in movie cut scenes
« on: 2009-05-08 02:52:30 »
Problem same as listed here.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6893.0

Some details.

opening movie plays with sound.
sound is ok in game fights etc. and music.
after escaping first reactor and movie plays when bomb explodes all sound dies.
there is no sound at all until I go to next screen where meet aeris when sound comes back, even sound in menu stops.
I am not using ff7 music patch.
I have no codecs installed other than truemotion and whatever codecs come with windows, no ffdshow etc.

any help is appreciated thanks, googling etc. has only found others with same problem but no solution.

Aali

• View Profile
Re: sound dying in movie cut scenes
« Reply #1 on: 2009-05-08 03:21:03 »
The other thread was a FF7Music problem (emulate ramps never sets the volume back to full after ramping it down), this seems to be a completely different issue.

No idea what could be causing it though, what OS are you on?

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-05-09 09:02:20 »
its all solved, I read half a dozen threads here with the issue and in one of them a guy worked it out and I will explain here to help others.

Basically in some movie scenes FF7 cuts out the music and it does this by lowering the midi volume to mute, in vista (and windows 7) there is no midi volume control so what happens instead is ff7 actually turns down all sound to mute and hence the no sound.

There is a solution luckily, I downloaded and installed a virtual midi app and then assigned midi to that app in ff7config.  That app has its own volume control so ff7 will no longer touch the main sound control by accident, and I also now have decided to use ff7music since the soundcard in my windows 7 laptop is aweful for midi.  Its now all working quite well, the only issue I get is sometimes a pause before music starts but is minor, the game isnt crashing and my fmv sounds play properly now.

this is the app download page.

http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

I didnt work this out was another guy who posted on the forums helping someone else and I am very grateful to him, as well as to everyone involved in ff7music.

OS is windows 7 I been playing it on, 64bit edition. Am very pleasantly surprised that was the only major issue I had.

Shoukd I disable emulate ramps in ff7music? I dont seem to have any issues but if its a known problem that might affect me later I will turn it off.
« Last Edit: 2009-05-09 09:05:57 by Chrysalis »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-05-09 13:19:38 »
If it works for you, don't disable it. An easy way to test it is to run through the plate release sequence, if you can't hear the sound effects (and the music in shinra's office) that's what's causing it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-05-09 13:39:39 »
That music (from Jospeh Haydn's "The Creation (Die Schöpfung)" is embeded into the video, so if you hear the plate collapse you will also hear that music regardless.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-05-09 19:10:57 »
If it works for you, don't disable it. An easy way to test it is to run through the plate release sequence, if you can't hear the sound effects (and the music in shinra's office) that's what's causing it.

well I was testing on the fmv you get when the first reactor explodes, if I get the problem you just mentioned I know where to look so thanks.

youforgotmylogininfo

« Reply #6 on: 2009-05-18 22:12:20 »
Chrysalis could you please explain further what configuration options you use in ff7config, ipmidi and ff7sound (as well as any in game if you do)? I cannot seem to get this working at all, ipmidi doesn't even show up in the sound mixer and it looks like ff7 then defaults back to microsoft gs wavetable synth even though ff7config states that it is using 1 Ethernet midi. At this point I'm hoping for a noob's guide that completely spells everything out because I understand the theory in your previous post, but it's just not working for me.
The symptoms are the same when I actually enter a game, I can see from the mixer that the volume is being directly manipulated because it is messing with the Final Fantasy 7 application volume, not the general volume. I never see an ipmidi application volume slider.
In game I am testing at the port city where you get the dolphin to flip you onto the airship platform right before Rufus' parade minigame. It happens with all cutscenes that are preceded by regular gameplay though (i.e. not the opening cutscenes).

I have the Saint's Hi Res patch installed.

I am also using Windows 7 x64 build 7100 (RC)

P.S. I would have asked this question sooner, it's just the forums apparently know that my username is taken but aren't sending me the password when I request it, hence my username :p