Author Topic: CD Drive/Writer error  (Read 6883 times)

sword

• View Profile
CD Drive/Writer error
« on: 2008-05-24 00:53:27 »
Alright. Story time.
I have a problem. Whenever I go to burn a CD I am getting an error. An output error. But this is only when I write CD's. It can read CD's fine. I've tried dusting it, trying diffrent CD's. I don't think it's the CD's. If it is 3 brands are not effective. Mabye it's hardware, but then why would it read CD's fine? Any thoughts?

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
Re: CD Drive/Writer error
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-24 07:32:55 »
Is the IDE cable connected properly to the CD drive?
I had a similair problem a few months back and that was the case, for some reason even although the cable wasn't connected properly, it would read most cd's just fine, yet when it cam to wrting to cd, nothing, I got an error message saying there wasn't even a cd/dvd drive connected to my machine.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-24 09:56:13 »
Wow. Even me, who is an IT guy. I just throw cheap ass shit like that away when it even remotely doesn't do what I want. A cd-burner... almost ancient.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-24 13:38:50 »
Haha true, but sometimes money has to go to more important things, and not everyone can afford to replace it, cheap as it is.
So in those circumstance, advice on fixing said cheap-ass item is required. :-)

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-27 21:20:34 »
No such luck. It was fine. Hmm... this might be a good chance to just replace it. But I'm a little strapped for cash.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-05-27 21:22:01 »
Point proven.

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-05-28 09:22:58 »

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-04 07:07:43 »
What program are you running to burn?(windows, roxio, etc.) I had this same problem with my dvd burner using Nero 7, but got around it by making it an image/ISO file, then burned it with another application.

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-10 00:51:44 »
What application was this?

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-10 07:29:05 »
Maybe try downloading DVD Identifier to get the exact drive model and firmware you are using, then look to see if there is a firmware update available.  However, I would do this as a last resort.  Try different burning softwares such as CDBurnerXP or reinstalling your burning software of choice.  Nero and Roxio have been known to have issues with certain drives.

Fenrir

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-06-10 07:45:00 »
What application was this?

sorry i was out of town for a bit.  I used intervideo's package of burning software.  It doesn't really matter too much what the program you use as long as its compatible with everything.
« Last Edit: 2008-06-10 08:03:18 by Fenrir »

sword

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008-06-11 18:55:27 »
I've tried to other programs. Both failed.
As far as another program goes my options are limited. That's the problem with using such and old OS.
I'm using Adaptec Easy CD Burner, which hasn't caused me problems before. Replacing it might be a hassle as well. I I could find some sort of work-around and get it hooked up to the internet it would make this whole problem moot.