Author Topic: Speedup Loadtimes Upscale Mods  (Read 2898 times)

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
Speedup Loadtimes Upscale Mods
« on: 2019-05-16 17:20:03 »
Hello,

i use the following mods

- New Threat
- Chaos
- SYW V3 upscale: Battle, world map, fields

I meassured the loading times when i enter Nibelheim from the World Map and when i enter the World Map from Nibelheim

Nibelheim -> World = 9 sec
World -> Nibelheim = 11 sec

When i turn the mods off

Nibelheim -> World = 2 sec
World -> Nibelheim = 1,3 sec

The time incrase is probably due to the upscales mods. The game and the Mod Manager are installed on a SSD.

Is there a way to speedup the loading without losing quality?

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Re: Speedup Loadtimes Upscale Mods
« Reply #1 on: 2019-05-16 17:37:53 »
Faster CPU?  Disk reads are not the limiting factor here, it's the interception and redirection of all those texture load requests.

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-05-19 09:09:30 »
Ok, thanks for the reply.

KohryuZX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-05-19 19:22:29 »
No 7th heaven version 1.56 has a pretty nasty and subtle bug i found out just yesterday and no one has seemingly talked about yet.
Every time you run the game the general settings add an extra direct and music to the extra folder list so every time a new one is added the load times become slower and slower bit by bit and the extra folder list looks something like

"direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music"

This causes a unplayable amount of load time by the end, only fix i found for now is going to the settings before starting up the game and make sure there's only one direct and music in the extra folder list.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-05-19 22:52:37 »
No 7th heaven version 1.56 has a pretty nasty and subtle bug i found out just yesterday and no one has seemingly talked about yet.
It's been known about, but at least for those who did talk about it, nobody was suffering from the degree of slowdown reported by LeO.

KohryuZX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-05-20 11:06:30 »
i didn't realize the bug had been noticed but seeing as Leo reported having reached Nibel then his settings could have possibly accumulated a vast amount of this bug and made his computer slowdown like mine did.
It may not even be noticeable on a computer with a good and fast cpu but for people like me that only have low spec computers that suck ass this is a issue that ends up making the game unplayable in the long run.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-20 11:52:47 »
Every time you run the game the general settings add an extra direct and music to the extra folder list so every time a new one is added the load times become slower and slower bit by bit and the extra folder list looks something like

"direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music direct music"

This causes a unplayable amount of load time by the end, only fix i found for now is going to the settings before starting up the game and make sure there's only one direct and music in the extra folder list.

1.56 has 7RC releases, so it might depend on which one you use. I will eventually update the guide with my personal 7H build that doesn't have this issue. Hopefully I can get it done by the end of this week.

LeOsTyLe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2019-05-20 16:19:30 »
Thanks for the information. It indeed worked. When i clear the "Extra Folder" The loadtimes drastically get better.

Now

Nibelheim -> World = 2 sec // before was 9 sec
World -> Nibelheim = 3,5 sec // before was 11 sec

Before i cleared the "Extra Folder" i had to think twice, if i really want to reenter a section, where i maybe forgot something (a item or a character to talk). Now i can enter without worries^^

Big thanks.

HeXy

• View Profile
    • Toast the Ghost
« Reply #8 on: 2019-05-31 08:47:50 »

Thank you so much for pointing this out, I'm 40 odd hours into a run, and hunting chocobos was starting to get painful :)