Author Topic: Building a complete custom case from the ground up.  (Read 3695 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
Well guys, I have a unique problem.

I have the new Crosshair V Formula 990FX and am planning on purchasing the daughter pci board, the ROG Xpander.

Problem is, I can not find a case that will accommodate this setup, as the pci daughter board mounts "on top" of the motherboard, effectively increasing the dimensions of the board from just height and width, to height width and depth.

Since I know of no cases that can handle a motherboard with depth, I suppose I will have to custom build a case myself.

The first option that comes to mind is wood. But herein lies the problem. I dont want a wood pc case. Im not trying to feel "vintage" with this at all.

I want this pc to SCREAM performance.. Im putting tri fire 7990's in it when they release with the best Bulldozer 8-core at release,both OC'ed to the max with 2 h100's in a single loop to the cpu, and a single loop to the three GPU's and 4 radiators, so I mean come on...wood? This things gonna be the most beastly pc that will be built this generation if I have anything to do with it, I mean come on Im getting the ROG XPANDER... I bet you cant even find 1 person with one lol.(And they had one for the rampage 3 back in the day...)

What other options could be available to me? I have no way to do metal work, but completely DO NOT MIND to find a place to do it for me.

Ive never been a hardware modder but I have done similar things in my life.
I would definately need the communitys help with design, as I am horrible with design, I couldnt be an architect or an engineer

I cant really think of anything else to say, any info you guys need from me so that you may be able to properly brainstorm with me?

Here is what the board will look like set up.

« Last Edit: 2011-06-21 18:34:35 by jeffdamann »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Building a complete custom case from the ground up.
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-21 18:42:06 »
Traditionally cases are made from aluminum. That's still your best bet because it's light, sturdy, doesn't conduct low electrical currents and takes heat well. Wood will rot over time with all that heat (though probably more time than you'll be using it). If you can get some pretty thin sheets of aluminum then you can shape it yourself with a drill and a lathe-like metal cutting tool. It is actually super easy to drill through with the right bits. Only problem is I've never seen anyone drill into metal in a way that they could just screw a screw into. That you might want to get a shop to do. If you have precise enough measurements of the spaces you need most custom metal shops can make any shape you want.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-21 19:15:05 »
If thats the case couldnt I just make a frame and screw the aluminum to it? Just cust a sheet for every side? The corners would surely suck that way.

May not look very pretty though, and aesthetics would be slightly important...

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-21 19:24:10 »
I don't think that'd be a problem as long as you provide some good ventilation all around. Otherwise dust and heat will destroy your comp's innards faster than you'd think.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-21 19:34:28 »
Why dont you look at the Corsair Obsidian 800D. Its what I have and it is a pretty massive case.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-21 21:00:41 »
You think I can mod that thing to raise the pci slots? thats the whole problem.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-21 21:31:57 »
I think it could be done. Would involve a bunch of hack and slash, but the nice thing it is a steel case so it could be welded on if you or someone you know has the ability.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-23 04:37:47 »
Well Im in a pickle.

There were 2 rog xpanders on ebay coming out of hong kong. I had my eye on them and they were both bought.

I can not even find proof of existence of any more of these things, much less more for sale.
If any of you can use some of your ninja searching skills to find this thing for sale id be EXTREMELY IN YOUR DEBT FOR LIFE! Like literally lol.

Thanks guys.