Author Topic: [FF7PC] New Spell Patch (2007-04-08)(Missing Download)  (Read 39783 times)

ice_cold513

• View Profile
Re: New Spell Patch
« Reply #25 on: 2006-05-17 20:57:18 »
good work i been playing the old ff games and i when npc is done i will use this

Thank you

Mikaga

« Reply #26 on: 2006-05-29 19:42:17 »
If I may, I'd like to suggest alternate "fitting" names for some spells:

Resist: Barrier.

Initially this sounds incredibly stupid, but the only other time I can recall there being a "generic status resistance" spell was FF2, and it was Barrier.

Barrier: Protect.
MBarrier: Shell.

You know both of those.

DeBarrier: Wallna.

The spell removes "Barrier" and "MBarrier" status, which the Wall spell causes. It follows logically, and is consistent with Poisona.

DeSpell: Dispel.

You've already done that, but I'm making mention about it because it doesn't necessarily gel with me. Dispel as is in most other games removes Protect/Shell too. That said, it's the most fitting "FF" name, so it should probably stick.

Quake series: Stone, Stonera, Stonega.

The only time I can recall an earth-elemental damage family is in XI. While not consistent with the other games in terms of spell categorisation (in XI, spells get II, III, etc. based on their power, -ra means "area of effect targetting caster" and -ga means "area of effect targetting whoever you want"), it is consistent in terms of spell names (Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Water...)

Comet2: Something other than Meteo.

Wasn't "Meteo" just "Meteor" before the days where spells could take more than five letters? Having a spell in Final Fantasy VII called "Meteor" is more than a little silly. I'm leaning towards something like "Comet Rain" or "Meteorites" (which might conflict with Tifa's limit breaks), though naming familiarity probably isn't too important considering "Comet" has never been seen elsewhere.

---

Edit: Oh yeah! You might want to edit the descriptions of the "Wall" and "DeBarrier" spells. As they stand they reference Barrier and MBarrier.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-29 19:56:25 by Mikaga »

DCS78

« Reply #27 on: 2006-05-29 21:40:08 »
I like the idea of renaming the spells.  Anyone know the char limit?

Final Fantasy II (US) the twins used Comet didn't they?

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006-05-29 22:00:20 »
I'll take those suggestions to heart.

As of now, my current update on the patch has modified "Barrier" and "MBarrier" into "Protect" and "Shell." I called Comet2 "Meteo" because it couldn't very well be "Meteor" and Comet2 resembled Meteo from earlier Final Fantasies. I don't know the story behind the five-character limit restricting Meteor to Meteo.

The reason I make references to Barrier and MBarrier is because the status that Protect and Shell put the target under are literally named Barrier and MBarrier. One of the main goals of this patch was for continuity, and when I can actually edit the menus to display Barrier and MBarrier as Protect and Shell, then I'll edit some spell descriptions. I realize there is sometimes a lack of continuity, such as in the "Earth" series, but I had to throw in some variety 8-).

I like the idea of renaming the spells.  Anyone know the char limit?

Final Fantasy II (US) the twins used Comet didn't they?

The character limit is fairly large. It depends what you to put in there, though. And yes, as far as I can remember, in Final Fantasy II/IVj, the Palom and Porom could combine their power and do something to the effect of "Comet."

Anyways, I figure now is a good time as any for an updated patch (next edition will likely feature some of your suggestions; I've actually wanted to release a new version for the past week or so but haven't gotten around to it). This time, all that's really changed are some spell names and descripitions so there's a bit of continuity. Also, I fixed up the limit break names a bit:

http://files.filefront.com/New_Spell_Patch2rar/;5092818;;/fileinfo.html

(All links within this thread have been adjusted as well, so only download from one of the links.)

For the most part, gang, don't expect anything extremely grandeur in comparison to what there is now--at least not for a little bit. I'm still in limbo with this kernel2.bin, and as soon as I can fix it up a bit better, then we'll be in buisness.

zero88

• View Profile
*Brand* New Spell Patch - update!
« Reply #29 on: 2007-04-09 05:30:26 »
Almost a year ago, I created a patch that modified the spell names of this game (encompassing all forms of magic, including green, yellow, and red materia magic) to match modern Final Fantasy. That patch had a few flaws that I hadn't discovered until recently, most of them being within item descriptions and the like. So, here's an update that fixed up nearly every item/spell description in the game. I'll continue to release more updates as necessary.

Briefly, this patch shoots for continuity among spells. I also tried my best to make all of the descriptions of everything as grammatically correct as possible. Sorry this description seems short, but that's the patch in a nutshell :-P. The actual main modifications are listed within the packaged readme.

Enjoy:

http://files.filefront.com/New_Spell_Patchrar/;7187170;/fileinfo.html

B Tizo

• Reliving the Fantasy!
    • View Profile
Re: *Brand* New Spell Patch - update!
« Reply #30 on: 2007-04-09 09:18:38 »
How is this done?  I think the patch is great!  It's so much better to cast Firaga than Fire3, lol.  I was just wondering if there was a way to customize it?  Like, is there a certain editor you use?  I think I could make up some good spell names if I put some thought into it. 

The patch is great, keep up the great work!

EDIT:
The patch works beautifully!
« Last Edit: 2007-04-09 10:00:01 by B Tizo »

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007-04-09 13:32:08 »
Hey I just read your readme, I think you forgot to put in Protect, Shell in place of barrier and magic barrier.

Rancid Cheese

• Uhh this Cheese ain't fresh at all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007-04-09 13:51:13 »
Nice one I always preferred the names used in FF>7 (lol) and the weirdest thing is it never once bothered me until I played FF8 and then suddenly FF7 didn't seem as well termed anymore . . .

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2007-04-14 01:49:46 »
I suppose it was all in an attempt to americanize the game when the translated it for the US release.
I am pretty much confident that the JP PSX version had spells named cure/cura/curaga in keeping with FF4/5/6

Hyunckel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007-04-14 17:17:20 »
Just read the readme, actually this patch adds "only" new descriptions and names for several weapons ? Because i already use the former patch, but i think i'll just go for this too... Maybe i'm gonna take all previous FF 1-6 and resales to make my own patch, cause i prefered old school style.

Nice work anyway, thank you for this neat little patch man!  :wink:

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007-04-14 17:52:20 »
Just read the readme, actually this patch adds "only" new descriptions and names for several weapons ? Because i already use the former patch, but i think i'll just go for this too... Maybe i'm gonna take all previous FF 1-6 and resales to make my own patch, cause i prefered old school style.

Nice work anyway, thank you for this neat little patch man!  :wink:

Well, only two weapons were changed: Heaven's Cloud to Excalibur (I kind of think that's what this sword was supposed to be and Heaven's Cloud sounds idiotic) and Barret's W Machine Gun to Assault Cannon. I really just didn't like the preceding "W" and felt that it could have had a more fitting name. Those were the only two weapon changes.

Only moments ago, it occurred to me another change I made but forgot to include in the readme: some Limit Break names have been modified. Ones like Meteorain have been modified into real words. I can't remember, but I think Cloud's and maybe only a couple of others were changed. Nothing drastic (or probably even really noticeable), just so that all the Limit Break names made sense.

Finally, you know there was the renaming of about every spell. In the first release, I forgot that some items have a Fira effect and the item description still said "Casts 'Fire2' on opponent" or something along those lines. So I went through every item and corrected that. Some command skills were grammatically fixed, as well. I seriously don't recall every last change, I should have kept better track of it, but I know that I didn't make anything too unfamiliar. Aside from the spells, their descriptions, and item descriptions, everything else was just basically giving the game a grammar lesson. The in-game text could probably use a fine-toothed grammar comb, too, but that's a project for another day :-P.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007-04-14 23:45:01 »
Hey maybe when we finish all the weapon conversions you could change all the names accordingly for us??

Hyunckel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007-04-15 00:02:04 »
Well, only two weapons were changed.
Only moments ago, it occurred to me another change I made but forgot to include in the readme: some Limit Break names have been modified.
Finally, you know there was the renaming of about every spell. In the first release, I forgot that some items have a Fira effect and the item description still said "Casts 'Fire2' on opponent" or something along those lines. So I went through every item and corrected that.

Yo! It's ok, i just wanted to be sure you added some other stuff, that sounds great now! thank you for replying!

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2007-04-15 01:50:17 »
Hey maybe when we finish all the weapon conversions you could change all the names accordingly for us??

No problem. Just give me the weapon names and all that need to be changed whenever you get the chance.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2007-09-07 22:31:12 »
Is this patch hosted anywhere else?

The links to both the old and the new don't seem to be working for me. When I click on the link in this thread I'm taken to the filefront mainpage, and a search yeilds no results also.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2007-09-12 17:27:01 »
Thanks!

UltimaYoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2007-09-12 18:27:35 »
Great patch, nice work. :lol:

But in the newer FF games, it´s actually:
Barrier -> Protect
MBarrier -> Shell

marriola

« Reply #43 on: 2009-07-26 07:02:12 »
Okay. In the advent of all these new patches (I mean, you can no longer count how many there are out there...), I discovered something that no one's apparently done anything about...

Personally, I think that spells like Fire2, Ice2, and others look really bad. I mean, Fire2? I think Fira sounds a lot cooler. So, in a day, I managed to rid the game of spells like that. Henceforth, I present this patch:

http://files.filefront.com/New_Spell_Patch2rar/;5092818;;/fileinfo.html

I have future plans of editing the weapons and stuff, making them different, giving them descriptions, etc., and I'll do that, if people are interested.

You've spelled meteor wrong in the patch, you put meteo instead, i was wondering if it was just me.........

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-07-26 11:52:04 »

You've spelled meteor wrong in the patch, you put meteo instead, i was wondering if it was just me.........

Read the post above yours, he just said he named Comet2 to Meteo because 'Meteor' is the force that Sephiroth is using to damage the planet, so it wouldn't make sense...

Also, when I try to download this patch Filefront tells me the download is unavailable, is this just me?

Prince Lex

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-07-27 06:04:19 »
If I were you, I'd just use Teioh to alter the names myself. It's so much more fun ^_^

EDIT: To correct my grammar.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-27 20:15:42 by Prince Lex »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-07-27 17:09:21 »
*Or wallmarket