Poll

What do you think tech related should be renamed to?

Reverse Engineering
5 (29.4%)
Game Engine Investigations
2 (11.8%)
Inner Workings
0 (0%)
Game Mechanics
8 (47.1%)
Other (Be sure to post in the thread what you think it should be)
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 2011-04-06 16:53:50

Author Topic: What should Tech Related be renamed to?  (Read 28947 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: What should Tech Related be renamed to?
« Reply #25 on: 2011-04-09 16:51:05 »
Programming Help?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-04-09 16:54:53 »
Programming Help?
We just got rid of the Programming Feedback forum.  No need to reinstate it ;-)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-04-09 17:05:05 »
If "Reverse Engineering" on its own sounds a bit TOO specific and a bit TOO negative to a few folks, why not "Engineering and Reverse Engineering"? Sonic Retro forums have a board with that name reserved for rom hacking and data investigation and the like, and it's never been too confusing as to what the board's for. By adding "engineering and" it's a bit more gentle sounding.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-04-09 17:13:40 »
By adding "engineering and" it's a bit more gentle sounding.
You mean like Scripting and Engineering? :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011-04-09 17:19:27 »
You mean like Scripting and Engineering? :)
Something like that, yeah. That must be why I +1'd the first time you posted that suggestion :P

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 2011-04-09 19:19:30 »
It sounds like 'scripting and engineering' is the most popular one. Personally, I think it's a bit too vague - 'reverse engineering' is explicit about us trying to, well, reverse-engineer algorithms and filestructures. But either, I think, is more helpful than 'tech related'.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-04-09 21:31:56 »
Consensus : Scripting and Reverse Engineering ?

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-04-09 21:33:54 »
^ What he said.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 2011-04-09 21:36:33 »
...Are you psychic?

We agreed on 'Scripting and Reverse Engineering' as a candidate earlier this evening.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 2011-04-09 21:45:23 by Bosola »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-04-09 21:38:08 »
Consensus : Scripting and Reverse Engineering ?

I don't see any consensus. Three people doesn't count, especially when the poll says something quite different.

Nor is it always a good idea to mix together the two most vocally supported ideas. If half of us wanted ice-cream and the other half wanted pizza, would you give us ice-cream pizza?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-04-09 21:52:47 »
I don't see any consensus. Three people doesn't count, especially when the poll says something quite different.

Nor is it always a good idea to mix together the two most vocally supported ideas. If half of us wanted ice-cream and the other half wanted pizza, would you give us ice-cream pizza?
Logical fallacy is fallacious. This is a bad analogy.

It is not ALWAYS a good idea to mix the two, but in this case it works. "Not always" != "Never"

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-04-09 22:00:13 »
Logical fallacy is fallacious. This is a bad analogy.

It is not ALWAYS a good idea to mix the two, but in this case it works. "Not always" != "Never"

I don't think it works. In fact, I think it's exactly like ice cream pizza.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-04-09 22:01:05 »
I don't think it works. In fact, I think it's exactly like ice cream pizza.
No, ice cream pizza would be "Scripting and completely unrelated".

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-04-09 22:01:23 »
Game mechanics usually refers to how the gameplay works rather than how the engine the game runs on works.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011-04-09 22:04:42 »
No, ice cream pizza would be "Scripting and completely unrelated".

To me, "Scripting and Reverse Engineering" seems very much like two things that have been forced together even though they don't want to be. Much as I dislike "Reverse engineering" it sounds better than the compromise.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2011-04-09 22:24:52 »
Open the polls back up dang it! I want to see an interesting topic opened back up!

EDIT: Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: 2011-04-09 22:35:58 by Mako »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 2011-04-10 02:45:29 »
And it is done!

There have been some very good candidates in this thread, and all were appealing, but in the end, I think we went for the choice that ticked the most boxes for the most people.

To me, "Scripting and Reverse Engineering" seems very much like two things that have been forced together even though they don't want to be.

Stop making fun of my relationships!

But seriously, FOREVER ALONE

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-04-10 02:49:27 »
You'll learn to love it.  See, the thing about democracy is... this isn't one! Muahahah!  You guys notice how you were allowed to vote yet we pulled an "America" and did whatever we wanted anyways?  :-P

Game Mechanics just sounds too much like something you'd see on GameFAQs and I'm pretty sure newcomers would still be unsure whether or not their post about FF7 not working belongs there.

Game Engine Investigations just sounds weird.  And weird is for losers.

Reverse Engineering is exactly what goes on, and is a good name.  But adding Scripting into the mix also shows that the board has a little leeway as to what should be posted in it.  This way people know that even if they are trying to figure out how to make the date mechanics work differently or trying to find the exact values to edit to change battle speed from 15 to 60fps, or anything else not strictly engineering related, it still belongs in Scripting instead of General.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-04-10 04:30:20 »
...Are you psychic?

We agreed on 'Scripting and Reverse Engineering' as a candidate earlier this evening.

Thoughts?

yes, yes I am.

If you want the winning combination for next week's loto, please send your money donations to : [email protected]

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-04-10 16:05:25 »
And it is done!

There have been some very good candidates in this thread, and all were appealing, but in the end, I think we went for the choice that ticked the most boxes for the most people.

Ice cream pizza

Stop making fun of my relationships!

But seriously, FOREVER ALONE

Fufu, don't worry Bosola-chan. We all know that in your relationships, only one of the two parties wishes she wasn't there.

You guys notice how you were allowed to vote yet we pulled an "America" and did whatever we wanted anyways?  :-P

We were never under the impression that you were going to do anything else. I'm sure the decision had been made before this thread was even put up.

I wonder what will happen in a few weeks' time when you realise that the number of people posting topics on the wrong board hasn't decreased?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-04-10 16:34:34 »
Well what would you suggest Kudistos? There is no real good name that encompasses both. Or are you suggesting a split between scripting and reverse engineering?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-04-10 16:41:56 »
Well what would you suggest Kudistos? There is no real good name that encompasses both. Or are you suggesting a split between scripting and reverse engineering?

I was never convinced of the need for it to be renamed in the first place. As we have seen, there is no name that everyone agrees is great, so why bother? It feels like change for the sake of change.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011-04-10 16:45:20 »
Noted. While I disagree on this and feel Tech Related was too obscure a name.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2011-04-10 16:45:34 »
I was never convinced of the need for it to be renamed in the first place. As we have seen, there is no name that everyone agrees is great, so why bother? It feels like change for the sake of change.
If it wasn't for the fact that the moderation log is now 74 pages, I would happily go through it and show you the dozens upon dozens of threads I've had to move out of "Tech Related" and "Tech Related Discussion".
It's not change for the sake of change.  Clearly newcomers were slightly confused by the name, and if this name change clears things up and makes the forum more organized, then why not do it?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2011-04-10 16:49:55 »
If it wasn't for the fact that the moderation log is now 74 pages, I would happily go through it and show you the dozens upon dozens of threads I've had to move out of "Tech Related" and "Tech Related Discussion".
It's not change for the sake of change.  Clearly newcomers were slightly confused by the name, and if this name change clears things up and makes the forum more organized, then why not do it?

Because you're assuming that those people weren't the kind of people who would be confused by any name.

I very much doubt that people who didn't "get it" the first time around would even know what "scripting and reverse engineering" means.