Author Topic: Official Team Avalanche Suggestion Thread  (Read 51373 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Official Team Avalanche Suggestion Thread
« Reply #25 on: 2010-10-17 15:59:57 »
a) have to translate the swearing from the japanese version
Then you'd get much less swearing total than what's currently uncensored (damn, etc). Most of the swearing, at least on Barret's part, was unique to the translation.

Why do I get the feeling that the US translators felt a big, hulky 'black' man had to swear constantly and as such 'freely' translated it that way.

/offtopic
Because that is exactly what happened, and the retranslation project we are doing is sorting this, among multiple other things.  In the Japanese game, Barrett usually makes noises like tch (think Zell on ff8) or sigh, or words comparable to hell and damn.  But whenever these occur, the English localisation team used a swear word.  They also dumbed down Barrett's speech to be more Mr.T.  Barrett is meant to be an aggressive man who uses slangy speech but he is not meant to be a dumb ass stereotype.

See the retranslation project.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 2010-10-30 18:54:27 »
a) have to translate the swearing from the japanese version
Then you'd get much less swearing total than what's currently uncensored (damn, etc). Most of the swearing, at least on Barret's part, was unique to the translation.

Why do I get the feeling that the US translators felt a big, hulky 'black' man had to swear constantly and as such 'freely' translated it that way.

/offtopic
Because that is exactly what happened, and the retranslation project we are doing is sorting this, among multiple other things.  In the Japanese game, Barrett usually makes noises like tch (think Zell on ff8) or sigh, or words comparable to hell and damn.  But whenever these occur, the English localisation team used a swear word.  They also dumbed down Barrett's speech to be more Mr.T.  Barrett is meant to be an aggressive man who uses slangy speech but he is not meant to be a dumb ass stereotype.

See the retranslation project.

re-translation is largely incompatible with the hardcore mod, the aerith ressurection mod and so on, so it's hardly of interest to me, but thanks for the pointer and the explanation.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-10-30 19:40:00 »
You will find as time goes on that every project is going to interfere with another.... That's just how it is.  I am making my own hardcore mod but it will be the traditional game as opposed to custom made ideas like a battle for summon materia.

youknowiknow778

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010-11-17 23:55:11 »
I'm sure you guys could so some tinkering with the meteor in the sky on disk 3

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-11-18 00:00:02 »
This is only related to documentation. You may want to make the installer run always as admin, Or make note in the FAQ it needs to be installed as admin. Few people have had issues with that. It might save some questions to answer if you do (sadly probably will not...)

Beavii

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-11-18 00:03:27 »
You will find as time goes on that every project is going to interfere with another.... That's just how it is.  I am making my own hardcore mod but it will be the traditional game as opposed to custom made ideas like a battle for summon materia.

You may find my project interesting then

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11041.0

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-11-18 00:36:09 »
This is only related to documentation. You may want to make the installer run always as admin, Or make note in the FAQ it needs to be installed as admin. Few people have had issues with that. It might save some questions to answer if you do (sadly probably will not...)

The installer does run as admin. It is aalis driver that does not.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-11-18 00:41:51 »

The installer does run as admin. It is aalis driver that does not.

Oh, never had the shield, Ignore my ignorance then haha  :P

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010-11-18 05:20:21 »
I'm sure you guys could so some tinkering with the meteor in the sky on disk 3
Already been done.   I made one, then someone (Timu?) made one far better

Lord_james

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-12-03 14:48:49 »
SUGGESTION:

You're making first "bombing mission" and you'll continue with packs.

Could you make this packs with a internal preference (follow the story's plot)? For example, in the main cast battle's model:

First, Cloud.
Second, Barret
Third, Tifa
ETC

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010-12-11 20:47:23 »
I got an idea for the beginning.
You could add the cut timeline texts from the PSX beta back in.
They wrote about the rise of Shinra ,the danger of the "Makoro Plants"
and that cloud was found in a bar.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-02-20 08:20:14 »
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/66575745658999.jpg

Get rid of those fat borders.  That is my suggestion...  I know the purists want to keep the game as close to the original, but there are times imho where you just have to say "smeg off" to it.

The thin borders like above look classy, the fat borders look crap.

Fat borders =  http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~loewen/fat-woman.jpg

Thin borders = http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Fonz_Pic.PNG/250px-Fonz_Pic.PNG

edit:

scrap that.  keep it traditional, I will create my own variant.
« Last Edit: 2011-02-21 08:23:24 by DLPB »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-03-03 09:07:31 »
well don't mind that I recently started a thread with the same goal. Whether any of you choose to help me or not with my project, I think if you guys made some custom pixel shaders that would be swell. I am only trying to convert some pixel shaders made for a psx emu plugin but if there's someone on the team with the know how, a custom shader built from scratch would be great! The one's that come standard with aali plugin are real nice but we need more refined options, and more options in general. If I can get some of the shaders im working on converted that'll be a great start but shaders that are designed from the ground up specifically for this game and plugin would be unmatched. Also there are few random spots on the world map that still use old textures, I am sure you already know this but a finished world map would be stellar. I would say higher res battle scenes but I think a custom pixel shader could help solve that problem with a lot less work.  Um maybe replaced battle models would be good too, I may be able to help with this in the future if my schedule clears up. I own 3ds max. I was going through some tutorials on importing models into the game, if my 3d art skills aren't up to the level I could at least help port over models in the future if need be. One last suggestion just for kicks, I noticed nobody really wants to do this but I think it would be one of the best things to do. A complete translation from the original japanese writers not strictly literal but literal/and interpretive. Some say they don't want to ruin the original meaning, but without someone having the courage to try we non japanese speaking people would have never been able to understand the game in the first place. Won't say any more on this unless it actually happens someday haha. I'm also willing to help with this if it ever were to happen. Love the new gui! Also wanna say great work so far, you guys are really kickin ass. And its great to be a part of the forum.

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-04-29 19:20:05 »
Is FF VII using Dx? I guess so..which version?

Ever considered to try the ENB series graphics converter?

http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

I am not sure if it works for FF VII since it is a pretty old game, I however at least know that it works for Freelancer, which has been released around 2002 and WarCraft III (for WC3 only a very little, actually).

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011-04-29 19:21:47 »
We use OpenGL with aali's driver.

Bas

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2011-04-29 19:33:54 »
OK, this is unfortunate since I recall ENB series only works with Dx.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011-04-30 18:09:28 »
Even if FF7 didn't use an ancient version of DirectX, ENB Series would not be able to do much. I haven't tried it but I will bet you anything it only works well with well-formed, consistent 3D environments. Battles in FF7 almost come close to this, everything else is so far off that whatever it can do the custom driver already does.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-05-01 18:00:49 »
You could extend the Bombing Mission demo to progress till the escape out of the Shinra HQ.
Midgar is almost a separate chapter as you notice that the design style changes as you get out into the fresh air.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-05-01 18:36:30 »
That's not really a good idea, because it would lead to the demo taking considerably longer to get released. The whole point of leaving it as just the bombing mission is that it's SHORT, a more attainable target for a shorter period of time.

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011-05-02 09:46:40 »
OK,but perhaps for the 2nd demo.

msifreakster

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-07-12 03:57:33 »
I don't know if it is possible, probably not since I am brand new, as of today, to RSS feeds. Would it be possible to set us an RSS feed for this forum? I already have it set up to email me if there are changes or additions to this forum, but they don't go through, spam filter doesn't even see them. Thanks in advance for the answer.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-07-12 06:28:22 »
RSS Feed. I don't know if it's possible to make feeds for individual boards though; this will give you the whole forum.

msifreakster

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011-07-13 17:59:39 »
Thank you. It includes Team Avalanche so it works :)

vAddicatedGamer

• Dumb dumb
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2011-07-15 03:03:39 »
Probably not super important. But I was wondering if TA would make a functional uninstaller.exe? Right now all it seems to do is delete itself, while leaving the content in .\mod\avalanche untouched.

A second suggestion is a list of the things that the overhauls change/add, such as which interface, which part of menu, which part of world map, which files are modified in the installer, to name a few. Basically some documentation for the end-user.

Hope I'm not nitpicking... 

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: 2011-11-01 17:29:07 »
I've been playing again recently and I've noticed one thing that bugs the sh*t out of me. Aerith's hair in battle. Is there any way that the animation can be altered for her hair. It looks like the a snake or something. It looks bad with the old blocky animation, I can Imagine it to look even sillier with HiDef graphics. Is there any explanation as to why her hair is as active as it is? To think that there is a constant gust of wind following her everywhere is insane lol.

Also, when she is standing next to Tifa, whose hair is longer and not pony-tailed or anything, it is awkward that Aerith's hair is going crazy. I mean, Aerith is a caster, Tifa is a bruiser. I just thought I'd put this out there.

The battle in this Vid ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jraXR2z2YdA&feature=related ) shows the hair movement and comparison to Tifa quite well as a reference.