Author Topic: An actual FF9 mod for FF8PC.......is anyone interested?  (Read 20738 times)

Goku7

• View Profile
Hi.  I'm new here, so I don't know if anyone's done something like this before.

Anyway, about a month ago I got this crazy idea to replace the regular battle theme and world map theme from FF8 with the ones from FF9.  After a few days of instrument tweaking, comparing it to what the real theme from FF9 PSX sounds, and going back and tweaking some more, I got it right.

Or so I thought.  After discovering the existence of Samuel's DLS (by the way, excellent job on version 1.35, Samuel!), I tested my mod on his DLS.  The Overdrive Guitar in the battle theme is not there, like it's supposed to be; so currently this mod is designed for the Original DLS that came with the game.  It still sounds pretty good, and hopefully within the next few days I will attempt to create a version that works with Samuel's DLS.

I mainly created this mod for fun, and unfortunately, I don't exactly have anywhere to post it yet.  Right now I simply want to know if anyone is interested in trying this out.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
An actual FF9 mod for FF8PC.......is anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: 2001-09-16 14:39:00 »
yea im interested, how big is it?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2001-09-17 06:05:00 »
  In its current form, which also includes fixes for the original song set that came with the game, is roughly 372 kb.  One thing I forgot to mention is that the I've got the battle theme part set on FF9's timing; meaning that you'll first hear and see FF8's WHOOSH battle effect stuff, and then the theme starts to play.  It's pretty nice how the synchronizing turned out!   :D

Like i said earlier, this is to be used with the Original DLS file.  The fixes will be most noticable when using the microsoft synthesizer, because it fixes the drum set assignments, and SBLive! cards appearently pick the correct drums thru some sort of SysEx messaging without the fixes.

If you're expecting it to be in an addon pack form (the type that version 2.0 of the FFSF project's midi config program can auto- install), it's not, because I haven't got around to downloading the addon pack creation program yet.  Besides, since (in my opinion, and probably anyone else who try's them out as well) these fixes make the music sound like what SquareSoft-E.A. should have released with the game if they ABSOLUTELY had to package the original DLS with the game; then these (with the exception of the FF9 songs, obviously,)should be a permanent overwritting of the musice set without the need for an alternate set.

Hopefully, you'll see a mod version compatible with version 1.35 of Samuel's DLS on the FFSF page soon, depending on stuff like how much time school and homework will take.  Until then, the only way to get it is via emailing me.

Oh, yeah, I forgot.  It's in winzip form currently.

[This message has been edited by Goku7 (edited September 17, 2001).]

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #3 on: 2001-09-17 10:29:00 »
heh heh . . . Sounds cool.

I'll try it.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2001-09-18 16:58:00 »
Ok.  In this case, since I can just click on the e-mail icon to get an address, do you mind if I send a copy of it now??  A bit of a warning though: The Overdrive guitar is more appearant in how it'll sound then the way it sounds in the real game.  But it's still cool  :).  

I've taken out the XG files, though, because they keep playing with too much reverb on my system.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #5 on: 2001-09-18 06:40:00 »
fine with me.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2001-09-18 06:51:00 »
I've run into a problem, TiadaghtonDude.  Either your email server or mine is full.  At least that's what the error I got sounds like.  I'll try a few things first, but this is just to let you know it might be delayed.

Ok. I think its working now.  Hope it gets there!

[This message has been edited by Goku7 (edited September 18, 2001).]

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #7 on: 2001-09-18 07:40:00 »
Yeah, I got it.

Thanks!  I'll give you my thoughts on it as soon as I try it out.

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2001-09-18 09:41:00 »
I'm also interested in trying it out.
(you can send it at  [email protected] )

Then, if you mind, I can check and recommend some changes to make it compatible with the DLS I enhanced. What do you think?

That would make one version for the original DLS which includes the two ff9 songs + the sgts you fixed (fixed in notation and volume I presume), and another version for my DLS which would include only the two ff9 songs since the other songs within v1.35 are all fixed (or tell me if I forgot something).

-

Samuel Slight
FFSF member -  http://ffsf.cjb.net" TARGET=_blank>http://ffsf.cjb.net  

[This message has been edited by Samuel_Slight (edited September 18, 2001).]

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2001-09-19 16:01:00 »
Yeah. I can send you it, Samuel.  Frankly, I'm glad you're interested in it.  There are some instruments missing when I use your DLS to play the battle theme.  I can't find the correct instruments because the 1.35 DLS is to big for DirectMusic Producer to store in my RAM, since I only have 48megs and it keeps wanting to load both the original DLS plus yours.  Both being loaded equals to about 56megs of System RAM it is requesting.  I don't have that, so it crashes.  Since right now I'm unable to study the structure of your DLS in enough detail to  make efficent corrections, you have my permission to edit it to bring the compatibility up to version 1.35 However, since I made the mod, I would appreciate it of you sent the corrections to me before any posting is done.

The way I fixed the rest of the FF8 songs are in that now the Microsoft Synth now uses more appropriate drum sets for the songs, instead of using the standard set for almost every song.  Also, the distortion guitar's volume in the boss theme has been increased somewhat, to where it's audible for once!    :)

The other details will be included in the E-mail.

[This message has been edited by Goku7 (edited September 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Goku7 (edited September 19, 2001).]

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2001-09-19 22:19:00 »
Umm, don't take this as an offence but I think it's impossible to say that "You make FF8 music better with FF9 music", because it's just like apples and oranges, it's up to opinions which is better. Though The Blue Fields sucks and it loses all clearly when compared to other FF world map themes. TBF's still a lot worse even though I and Samuel arranged it a bit to sound more orchestral (in FF8 DLS 1.35).

But anyway, you should really just enhance FF8's music technically and not change Uematsu's art to his former/later art, or any other music (so no putting "We will, we will, ROCK YOU!!!" for boss music!  :wink:)

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2001-09-20 16:48:00 »
Well, Seraph, like I said in the beginning, I did the FF9 thing merely for fun.  As for the other FF8 fixes, I did those in my spare time, and I just threw them together.

I agree that its a matter of opinion.  That's why I was asking if people were interested in this thing before I decide to go to the trouble of posting it on a web site.  I know that some people wouldn't want the FF9 songs, so I included instructions that would allow them to merely install the fixes, without the FF9 songs.  I should have stated earlier, that to be precise, this thing is half a patch, and half a mod.

That fact that the FF9 part is a mod should make you consider this in the same catagory as Counter-Strike is for Half-Life.

Oh yeah, by the way, no offense taken.  It's just that I like hearing Overdrivedistortion guitars in the battle themes.  I also thought that the FF9 theme fit the game a little better than what FF8's battle theme was without Samuel's DLS.  I mean, it's like "SeeDs are here, butt-kicking will now commence!"  :D

[This message has been edited by Goku7 (edited September 20, 2001).]

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2001-09-21 22:07:00 »
Of course, even I prefer FF9's music over FF8's music. But still, no matter how good it is, some people might not agree, and you should still use the original music (another example, even though One-Winged Angel is my favorite song, I still wouldn't like to replace The Extreme with it). But I see your point. Sounds cool, the only problem is to make a midi sequence for FF9 battle (and overworld) which sounds good. That might be hard, I've heard many FF9 battle midis and so far everyone is quite poor somehow. Either it uses wrong instruments or has the notation or balances all wrong  :(

Well, good luck. It could be a good patch/mod. Just don't replace The Oath with You're Not Alone or The Premonition with Dark Messenger (even though both of them are awesome songs)  :)

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2001-09-24 07:05:00 »
Hey, Seraph, is there a reason that you don't want to try it?  I just recieved the new 1.35DLS compatible version that I had Samuel create (By the way, Samuel, thanks for updating the compatibility.  You saved me the money and time I would have had to put for getting a new comp or something just so I could load the DLS in DirectMusic Producer!).

Anyway, since SquareSoft is taking their sweet time in coming out with a comp version of FF9, that was a major motivator in making the mod.  I don't have a PSX, and my comp's too slow to process the sound code in FF9 on an emulator at a bearable speed, so I decided to take things into my own hands.

The notation in this rendering is practically dead on, except that since its using FF8's instruments and not FF9's there's bound to be minor differences.  As for Stereo Balance, I have no clue if its correct, since I have been deaf in one ear since as long as I can remember; but I am not tone deaf.  Both songs sound excellent.  Go ahead and try them.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #14 on: 2001-09-24 22:21:00 »
I think its a great idea.. although.. uh well .. hmm... no I think its a really cool idea.. I would want to check it out.. my email is currently full.. (of lecture notes from my teacher i believe..) is there a website that this is posted @?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2001-09-25 05:08:00 »
Things are in the works for it to be posted at the FFSF site :).  Anyway, since we now have two versions out (original and DLSv.1.35), which one are you interested in?

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2001-09-25 20:30:00 »
Ok... where would you post it Goku7? So far I haven't seen any links. And Slight's DLS 1.35 version would be appreciated.

I know of your problem. I also don't have PSX. Fortunately I got FF9 NTSC and it works on my PSX Emulator with decent speed. Now I have P2 333 MHz with Riva TNT 3Dfx-card (16 MB)

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2001-09-26 16:48:00 »
Ok people, its FINALLY BEEN POSTED!!!!!!!  It's now on the  http://lightning.prohosting.com/~techd/ffsf/index.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Final Fantasy SoundFont Project (FFSF)  site, under the Downloads section.
 :D
Now that's its posted, I ask that people who try it out post their feedback in this thread for now, unless their feedback is better suited for the Feedback forum. (I dunno which one it should be).

Anyway, of the two versions, I think the one for the original DLS is a little easier on the ears (Samuel, I think we need to do some tweaking on the strings section in the battle theme....).  However, try both versions out if you can, since I think this mod still needs a little more work to be as good as the other things in their download section.

The fixes for the music set that works with the original DLS is now a separate download, since appearantly SBLive! users won't need the fixes.  Software DLS synths will need the fixes, I believe.

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2001-09-26 06:43:00 »
Yeah, it probably still needs some tweaking since I don't have the original MP3s from the PSX to compare.

BTW is there someone who knows where to get FF9 MP3s?

Also, you may notice that Saw Wave (used in The Battle) needs to be fine tuned. Because it was not used by any FF8 music in v1.35, I never took care of fine tuning it. So, since it's a modification to be made on the DLS, it will be done in v1.36 (soon to be released).   :)

[This message has been edited by Samuel_Slight (edited September 26, 2001).]

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2001-09-26 09:57:00 »
I've been trying to figure out how to mirror the main bass line in that song with the distortion guitar, like in the PSX game; and still only use 16 channels.  The core MIDI file I imported to make the song might have also transferred some XG-type SysEx messages.

By the way, Samuel, is there a list anywhere of the bank/patch numbers for your DLS instruments (like "0,0,29:Overdrive Guitar; 0,1,29: Overdrive Variation")?  It would help me be able to edit the songs for use with your DLS without it wanting to crash due to not having enough RAM for DirectMusic Producer.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2001-09-29 23:16:00 »
Attention, people, the Samuel's DLS version of the FF9 mod has been updated!  Most of you probably have downloaded the update without knowing it, but here's how to check.  If you can hear a distortion guitar "mirroring" the bass line, then you have the new one.  The reason why some people do not know that they have the update is because the file itself was updated, and the link that pointed to the first version of the Samuel's DLS compatible mod was simply redirected to the new version, without anything saying that this was a newer version.  I think we're gonna start tacking version numbers onto the mod now, so everyone can tell if a newer version of the mod is out.

Anyway, if you downloaded the mod before 9/28/2001, then check the site again, and download the new version.  It's alot better on the ears now! :smile:

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2001-09-30 07:01:00 »
this is a VERY interesting development (interesting to my ears also)
any chance of extending this to more tracks in the game??
and who is involved in making the mod?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2001-09-30 21:41:00 »
so far, just me and Samuel.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2001-09-30 21:45:00 »
congrats, u get the skillsters thumbs up approval:D (very rare cos i always maon about something). the world map theme is so catchy, better then the psx one, when can we hope for other tunes to be ported?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2001-10-01 01:52:00 »
Well, I was toying with the idea of using FF9's boss theme for the music when you're fighting the spider-bot in dollet.  And, MAYBE the FF9 victory theme.  It'll depend on how the music could apply to the different parts of the game, and how much time I have, and how pesky my copy of DirectMusic Producer is going to be.  Its now refusing to load the original DLS.  ARGH! I think I'll go get some asprin now......