Author Topic: Midgar Remake  (Read 223553 times)

Tempus

• This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art
Re: Midgar Remake
« Reply #300 on: 2012-08-12 03:49:00 »
Using GECK?

There are a few FF7 models lingering on TESNEXUS including materia (you probably already new that but just in case).

They terminated the mako dawn project a while back I believe (oh well).

I have Fallout 3 and Oblivion I suppose I should get Skyrim but I don't have windows any-more to run the stuff (PS3 only for now I guess).

Erstwhile, interesting stuff.

I undetstand Fallout's engine is a bit less mod friendly than Oblivion was. I can't even use the one for Skyrim as it appears to require steam which I haven't used for years after Valve got so weird.

Back to what it was I was doing.

I'm not sure which part you're referring to when you say "Using GECK?" I know there's a few FF7 models on the nexus, I was planning on making my own. I've often found that by the time I've assimilated other's work into my project it would've just been quicker to make it myself (unless their work was intended for my project, of course). Also, I already have a materia model I made: http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo94/JigsawPieces/shinraBldgMod/materiaRaw_02.jpg The other orb-like materia would've been easy enough to make, I expect.

And yeah, the Mako Dawn mod for Fallout 3 is currently not under development. I was the developer ;) I'm working on releasing the project's files so that if anyone wants to continue it or use the resources they can.

FO3 and Oblivion used different versions of the same engine, Gamebryo. I'm pretty sure they built FO3's functions on top of Oblivion. I can't speak for Oblivion modding since I never did any but I found FO3 modding to be relatively easy once I figured out what I was doing. It was actually the first game I ever modded.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: 2012-08-13 02:41:31 »
I'm not sure which part you're referring to when you say "Using GECK?" I know there's a few FF7 models on the nexus, I was planning on making my own. I've often found that by the time I've assimilated other's work into my project it would've just been quicker to make it myself (unless their work was intended for my project, of course). Also, I already have a materia model I made: http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo94/JigsawPieces/shinraBldgMod/materiaRaw_02.jpg The other orb-like materia would've been easy enough to make, I expect.
Well circa 2009 someone added the models at least to Oblivion. Granted it's a bit odd to have in a Med evil fantasy game but hey ...
And yeah, the Mako Dawn mod for Fallout 3 is currently not under development. I was the developer ;) I'm working on releasing the project's files so that if anyone wants to continue it or use the resources they can.

I commiserate it's difficult to do all that work by oneself.
FO3 and Oblivion used different versions of the same engine, Gamebryo. I'm pretty sure they built FO3's functions on top of Oblivion. I can't speak for Oblivion modding since I never did any but I found FO3 modding to be relatively easy once I figured out what I was doing. It was actually the first game I ever modded.
Modding Oblivion was quite easy (hence why so many did) however Skyrim's engine is not as easy and they made getting the resources to do so ... even more difficult than before. A bit disappointing. There is one Nehrim total conversion for Oblivion that is fully functional (it's a completely new game). That being said depending on a game released in 2006 for your entire mod is a bad idea (LOL).

Oblivions engine does have numerous limitations. The newer engine (GECK was the editor they released to the public for FO3) in FO3 has improvements (mostly in paths for creatures except at distances it has issues with the rotation matrix, which is really weird as Skyrim had that same issue with dragons, nothing like watching them fly backwards and spit fire out their ... <cough>).  Erstwhile. As I said it's interesting work.

The resources themselves aren't that difficult too make, I believe the most difficult portion of making such mods is handling the scripting. I had a hard time following Oblivions odd script system. Heck if they had used XML it would have been easier to follow (that's a joke as XML was never intended to be used for 'programming'). I modified several scripts and made them functional, I can understand why Oblivion had so many quirks in it, the script part of the engine wasn't the best.

If you are familiar with FarCry 2 it had a very interesting system for creating areas.  Granted it has a limited set and you are very limited as too what you can do, the modification of the actual set isn't too bad.  I remember the tools they released for NWN made adding buildings etc relatively easily. They basically made brushes of building sections that could easily merge into each other.

Your layout approach has a good bit of merit, except that if you have 8 pizza plates placing individual structures over and over again is a road trip to an asylum.  My thinking would be more like this, place large distinct structures first then go to smaller ones as you need too. After the large structures, it would be simpler to algorithmically place them (IE let the computer do that work) and then adjust afterward.

I digress a bit. You did a LOT of work, and that is nothing to make little of.  It's unfortunate that it can be quite discouraging going it alone.

Cyb

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 2012-08-17 06:29:13 »
Updates as promised!

MATERIALS!
Reworked Central Complex
Rev-amped plate system

I need to rescale the reactors as they are currently too big. Will have some more updates soon.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 2012-08-17 15:53:38 »
Excuse the noob question, but it looks like you downscaled the central district (Sector 0). Why?

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 2012-08-17 17:01:01 »
 Simply put it is because the reactors are too large, so relative speaking now the plates are able to hold more buildings.
Hard to type with a smartphone....
 8)

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 2012-08-17 17:40:09 »
I understood the reactors were too large, it's just that the central district (Sector 0) looks less high in comparison to the diameter of the plate than it was originally (see link).
http://finalfantasyviipc.com/images/media_shinra_big.jpg

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 2012-08-17 18:23:08 »
Haha, was kinda hoping no one would pick that up :(.

Different edit, a different day unfortunantly. I will get around to it though! Mark my words.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 2012-08-17 18:33:17 »
Sorry to have brought that up :oops:
If my observations are correct, it seems it is especially the central building which is too small. In particular, for reference, the "horizontal cylinder" of the main building is located at higher elevations than the two "weird side buildings".

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 2012-08-17 18:42:44 »
To put it simply.

The Reactors are far too big which is an easy fix :).

Indeed the Central Complex is far too small, though it's much bigger than my previous version.  None the less it will be taken care of ASAP. Guess the fancy renderings can't hide everything haha :(.

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 2012-08-19 13:30:24 »
Update :

Re-Scaled Reactors.
Re-Scaled Central complex.
->Rev-amped Reactors (No more floating geometry!)
->Rev-amped outter plate-dividers.

To do list :
Add the 2 odd light thingies on them.
Destroy Sector 6!
Add plate elements (The smaller buildings on the plate and around the complex)

Xandar

• View Profile
Re: Sorry timu.. dont know where to put this lol
« Reply #310 on: 2012-08-19 16:22:34 »
(1st pic)

Daytime in Midgar!? :o
Yup,daytime in migdar... plus super duper clean Shinra buildings/reactors :D that's awesome work Sapphire!
« Last Edit: 2012-08-19 16:27:15 by Xandar »

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: 2012-08-19 16:45:03 »
Great job Sapphire! I hope the rescaling of the centre part wasn't too tedious.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 2012-08-19 20:16:12 »
Looks sweet.
Now bomb that reactor :p

Killerx20

• Shin-Ra Electric Power Company
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #313 on: 2012-08-30 21:10:14 »
I'm not here to steal any glory away from my friend, its just that I haven't posted here in a while and wanted to show my progress.. so here it is

The exhaust effects in Sector 0 I made years ago and want to redo them as I think they are ugly.

Mayo Master

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 2012-08-30 23:45:06 »
Wow! That's certainly impressive... good job!

However, I am a little confused... are you and Sapphire sharing assets or are these 2 different, separate modelling works?

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #315 on: 2012-08-31 02:08:33 »
Wow! That's certainly impressive... good job!

However, I am a little confused... are you and Sapphire sharing assets or are these 2 different, separate modelling works?
Thanks for the feedback, they are two separate modeling works. We just help each other out with ideas and stuff.

neomonkeus

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 2012-08-31 08:48:44 »
Ooooooohhhhhh purdy. That is all

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 2012-08-31 11:16:09 »
I'm not here to steal any glory away from my friend, its just that I haven't posted here in a while and wanted to show my progress.. so here it is
-image-
The exhaust effects in Sector 0 I made years ago and want to redo them as I think they are ugly.

is just me or this model looks perfect??

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #318 on: 2012-08-31 12:32:59 »
I don't think i have any better preference either...

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: 2012-08-31 13:10:19 »
Stunning

Harro

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 2012-09-01 11:49:05 »
Amazing!
It makes my mouth water

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 2012-09-06 00:01:02 »
Let me join the competition with some details....

Welcome to Midgars Entertainment

enjoy.

8)

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #322 on: 2012-09-06 01:25:22 »
Marvelous!

Killerx20

• View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #323 on: 2012-09-06 22:17:27 »
Let me join the competition with some details....

Welcome to Midgars Entertainment

enjoy.

8)
Looks good man! I like how you are copying ALL the buildings.
And thanks for everybody's feedback! It is greatly appreciated.
The render took almost 3 hours for that single frame... I need a new computer... I'm running almost 10 year old tech.

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 2012-09-06 22:47:35 »
The render took almost 3 hours for that single frame... I need a new computer... I'm running almost 10 year old tech.
I know that feeling, working on a 6 year old laptop doesn't make things fast either, the more I add the slower it gets....
Still, my colleagues call it a 'blade-server'

Thanks for the feedback, always welcome and motivating :-)

Some more details:

Theatre is closed

Evening stroll at Midgar's

Might have a slight problem I would like your opinions of....

Right now I'm building Sector 8 mostly based upon the intro movie, this version is different then on the whole Midgar scenes, in that one the theatre etc is not there, basically there are some houses stuffed on the basic plates. Now every plate is more or less industrial, no houses or anything. That doesn't seem quite logical....
Any ideas or suggestions on that?
 8-)