Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837995 times)

Bowser9

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.3)
« Reply #925 on: 2015-03-18 09:25:19 »
@Proxy
It is explained in the readme that you can steal 1 of 2 common items or a rare item from almost every enemy (at the cost of not getting an item drop in the results screen). The higher your level relative to the enemy you're trying to steal from, the higher your chances of obtaining a common item, and the lower your chances of obtaining the rare one. You can combine Steal with Morph to ensure a constant stream of good items at the expense of your time and effort. Do note that you can morph bosses for interesting and/or powerful items as well.

I've been regulating my level by running away from fights I don't care about and have seen moderate success in obtaining rare steals. This is no replacement for power leveling, though, so most people concerned only with beating the game can ignore steal for the most part. Sense hasn't actually failed me, and there is a list of enemy types and how their resistances interact with each other in the readme.

@Sega Chief
You changed Suicide lv4 to Suicide lv5, so I'm a bit confused as to how to obtain Chocobuckle from the lv16 Chocobo. Will keep cracking at it a little longer, but I'm running dry.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-18 09:49:52 by Bowser9 »

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: 2015-03-18 12:31:46 »
@Bowser9 hey i ran into that when i was streaming, grab a south wutai island chocobo, they're 30, SC knows chocobuckle is currently hard to get early on despite it being a low level wind attack now, it was an oversight and might get changed later.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: 2015-03-18 15:57:19 »
I was gonna hold off on a reply until I had a bunch of stuff, but one thing has been irritating me greatly.  The encounter rate.  Way too many enemies.  I just visited Rocket Town and have not seen Enemy Away yet.  This is probably a materia that could be dropped early on in the game to ease enemy encounter woes without any drawbacks.

A couple other things:
1. Palmer's step mine never did anything, it just said "but there was no step counter" or something to that effect.
2. I fought Palmer twice, and stealing from him in the second fight yielded a different item.  I don't know if this is a bug, I just don't recall enemies having different potential items you could steal.
Hopefully if it's not a bug, then the items you can steal aren't good, because it would suck if you lucked into stealing a bad item instead of a good one.
3. I'm not sure how sense works, but I think it gives misleading results.  Many times I base my attack on what sense returns, and it yields poor results.  I think I have seen enemies take no damage (or worse, heal) from elements they are supposed to be weak to, and Titan seems to miss against guys who are weak to earth (Titan just misses a lot in general).
4. The Materia Keeper, or whatever his new name is, cast a spell which caused several effects on himself, one of which being death sentence.  After his time was up it was revealed that he is immune to death.  So what was the point?  I had kinda thought it was a "You win this fight by not dying for a period of time" situation, but nope.
5. Vincent did a crazy jig upon seeing Sephiroth/Jenova at the mansion (He was supposed to walk calmly like my other companion).  This one was amusing.

Okay-doke:

The encounter-rate wasn't changed for the mod, it's standard for FF7. I could place a new Enemy Away in, say, Mythril Mines where it can be retrieved by players who have already passed through that area.

1. All of Palmer's attacks are derivatives of FF6 Lore abilities (that game's blue magic). Palmer himself is generally considered to be something of a joke boss, so I had a bit of fun with it. The Step Mine attack is a wee joke; in speedruns, encounter manipulation is often attributed to the 'step counter' but the game doesn't actually track steps, it uses a 'danger value' to trigger encounters.

2. The majority of enemies have a 'Drop, Common Steal, Common Steal, Rare Steal' set up for their four possible items, with certain bosses having a roulette of four steals. The only time steals won't be set is if a boss has a missable item that I want the player to get (like the unique Fairy Tale weapon for instance).

3. I'll check out Sense to make sure it's giving the correct information for elemental weaknesses.

4. Powersoul Keeper, who drops the Powersoul weapon, uses Powersoul mechanics on two of his attacks (the beam and Soul Combo). The Powersoul formula on these attacks multiplies damage by 4x when he's under the Death Sentence status ailment, which is why he inflicts himself with this status midway through the fight.

5. The PC game has a fair few instances where the wrong animations are used for some characters. There's the infamous one on the Altar when Vincent goes a bit crazy because he's been given Cloud's animations. Cid also uses some of Cloud's anims which makes his feet flap up at a 90' angle. While I fixed most of the ones I saw during editing, there's still a few lurking about; I'll take a look and change it to something a bit more...appropriate.

@Bowser9 hey i ran into that when i was streaming, grab a south wutai island chocobo, they're 30, SC knows chocobuckle is currently hard to get early on despite it being a low level wind attack now, it was an oversight and might get changed later.

Yeah, I was intending for Chocobuckle to be available when you first get to the ranch but I clean forgot about the change to L5. I'll have a look at the Chocobo's AI and read around; it's hopefully not related to the grade of chocobo (wonderful, great, etc.) and if not then I can just change all their levels to be a multiple of 5 without incident.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-18 16:00:29 by Sega Chief »

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: 2015-03-18 19:16:06 »
@Cicadian
Thanks. Also, good job with the stream. I was able to watch some of the past videos, though I missed disc 1.

@Sega Chief
Haha that's awesome you gave Palmer the FF6 lores and the step counter joke. I never noticed since my last play through I didn't take my time with Palmer at all. Never change, man.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: 2015-03-18 19:41:09 »
just in case you wanted to see how i got to where i am now i currently have some of Disc2 uploaded (disorganized, will finish tonight probably) and all of disc1 in a playlist for reference and balance checks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCTFt5DBIw&list=PLrBL5qh1IgRDh9aeErRvnCk0MLU0FGmW2

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #930 on: 2015-03-18 19:49:28 »
hey sega chief

how is adding ultros coming along on your hack

and keep up the great work

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #931 on: 2015-03-19 18:53:32 »
hey

I really like this mod alot

what other new features are gonna be added to this mod
« Last Edit: 2015-03-19 18:56:17 by Zara9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: 2015-03-19 20:10:14 »
As far as the regular NT game goes, it's down to fixes, balancing, and tweaks. The only real size-able bit of content left is the New Game+ for 1.5, but there's likely going to be stuff added in during the interim:

-) Finish Junon Leagues sidequest by adding in the remaining brackets.

-) Add bosses to the Crater, and maybe even try for a 'team swap' mechanic like FF6 has so the player has to guide three parties down to the bottom.

-) Implement day/night, changing weather for towns; expand out NPC scripts and add party members into each town to be talked to (like in Costa del Sol on Disc 1). Basically, giving the game's towns a bit of an overhaul and bringing them to life some more. I'm hoping Roden can help out with it.

-) Expand the Event Square in some fashion; original plan was for an auction house but I don't personally like Auctions too much. Someone suggested a music/movie theatre like FFX has.

-) Additional sidequests; Kalderasha suggested some which I liked the sound of. These would appear here and there, dotted throughout the game. Some improvements to the existing ones will likely be made as well.

-) New Game+
Using a party that has either cleared NT (or starting from scratch with a buffed up pre-made one if folk want to jump into it right away), this is a campaign through the game with a lot of the story elements removed/replaced. The player starts from the Sector 7 bar and has to first escape Midgar before making their way to the Crater to stop Meteor.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: 2015-03-19 20:15:31 »
hey sega chief

is there anyway you could make it, so you can have either 1 party, 2 party members or 3 party members out at once

like how they did it on ff6

and is there any chance for you to add the ff7 boss battle music on ruby weapon and emerland weapon please

and how can i add the ff7, or ff6 boss battle music on my own on your mod?

thanks
« Last Edit: 2015-03-19 20:32:55 by Zara9 »

atro city

• View Profile
« Reply #934 on: 2015-03-19 20:38:59 »
-) Add bosses to the Crater, and maybe even try for a 'team swap' mechanic like FF6 has so the player has to guide three parties down to the bottom.

Hopefully it won't be exactly like FF6 where unless you switch your teams constantly through the game and take time to grind them up to speed, you end up with 4 or 5 all-star characters to split between the teams and the rest are complete dead weight. Right now I'm playing the final dungeon of FF6's Brave New World mod and most of the characters in my 3 parties get one-shotted by everything.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: 2015-03-19 21:06:02 »
hey sega chief
is there anyway you could make it, so you can have either 1 party, 2 party members or 3 party members out at once
like how they did it on ff6
and is there any chance for you to add the ff7 boss battle music on ruby weapon and emerland weapon please
and how can i add the ff7, or ff6 boss battle music on my own on your mod?

I could look into that, but it would take some time as certain events look for three party members. As for making the boss music play for the two Weapons, I'm afraid that's out of my hands as the Makou editor doesn't cover the world map.

Hopefully it won't be exactly like FF6 where unless you switch your teams constantly through the game and take time to grind them up to speed, you end up with 4 or 5 all-star characters to split between the teams and the rest are complete dead weight. Right now I'm playing the final dungeon of FF6's Brave New World mod and most of the characters in my 3 parties get one-shotted by everything.

The crater isn't really set up for something like that, and it isn't long enough to justify doing it either. It'd be more like the scenario thing when Sabin falls off the raft; just get all three parties down to the bottom. One reason I'd have for trying to set this up is that the Bizarro fight is always three-party in NT so this would fit in with that quite nicely and be less out of the blue.

You'll be in trouble with the Kefka fight, I reckon; I can't remember exactly, but I think he selects four random party members like Ultimecia does at the end of FF8.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #936 on: 2015-03-19 21:24:47 »
hey sega chief

Kefka on ff6 allows you to choose your party member to fight him with

Lionsmane

• View Profile
« Reply #937 on: 2015-03-20 03:36:22 »
is there a quick way for me to be able to tell i correctly installed 1.3? like an item towards the beginning of the game that i wouldnt have in 1.2 or default equipment or something?
For example, Barret just joined me and he has no magic/spells. Is this normal? I'm basically just looking for an indication that I'm playing 1.3 properly. Sorry for all the questions!

thanks ahead of time!
« Last Edit: 2015-03-20 03:51:09 by Lionsmane »

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: 2015-03-20 06:11:25 »
@Lionsmane
You'll know once you name Barret. The game will ask you if you wish to keep the standard battle music or use field music for encounters. If you have a good eye, you will also know you've installed NT correctly if Cloud's model has no mouth and darker clothes compared to his original PC field model.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-20 06:13:59 by Bowser9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: 2015-03-20 07:45:04 »
hey sega chief

Kefka on ff6 allows you to choose your party member to fight him with

Oh. Whoops. I haven't reached him yet in my playthrough ^^'

@Lionsmane
You'll know once you name Barret. The game will ask you if you wish to keep the standard battle music or use field music for encounters. If you have a good eye, you will also know you've installed NT correctly if Cloud's model has no mouth and darker clothes compared to his original PC field model.

Pretty much this; Cloud will have a darker uniform that looks more like the game's original promotional art and Barret will ask you about music options. You should also start with Fire, Ice, and Bolt materia on Cloud while Barret has an Assault Gun rather than a Gatling Gun as his starting weapon (Gatling was converted into a triple AP weapon that can be found later in the game).

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: 2015-03-21 05:06:10 »
Ah so after wiping on Binah all night i got a little smug and said screw it.
http://www.twitch.tv/cicadian/c/6364941
you better sit down sega chief

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: 2015-03-21 06:43:47 »
And this is why we can't have nice things.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: 2015-03-21 20:25:28 »
hey sega chief

is there anyway, you could put a choice in to see if people can choose to keep aeries on disk 2 and 3 please

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: 2015-03-21 23:22:47 »
That's already in my notes for 1.4.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: 2015-03-22 01:25:58 »
hey

i have idea for v 1.4 of your mod

i was thinking that your dark cave sidequest should end at the north creator

with 2 sephiorth fights

Riketz Karlom

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: 2015-03-22 02:05:02 »
So, I originally came to this site for FF8 visual mods, but this totally blew my socks off. Currently playing 1.2 (Due to 7th Heaven needing to update the mod list) and loving it so far. From 1.3's description, it seems like I can comfortably coast along til disc 2-ish before absolutely needing to update.
Also, I got incredibly lucky with Ziegfried outside of Fort Condor, managing a Morph victory in the first encounter. Then, your wave-crashing demon in Junon quickly put me in my place. It is incredibly refreshing to play a challenging version of this game, especially with all the amazing tweaks and features 7th Heaven allows.
Just wanted to say, awesome stuff. I'm hoping for the day this mod borrows a little from Reunion's translation for the the most enhanced FF7 experience possible.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: 2015-03-22 05:20:54 »
hey

i have idea for v 1.4 of your mod

i was thinking that your dark cave sidequest should end at the north creator

with 2 sephiorth fights

I'm happy with the way Dark Cave ends at the moment. I'll be concentrating on developing NPCs and other unique events for it in future, but the general progression is staying as-is.

So, I originally came to this site for FF8 visual mods, but this totally blew my socks off. Currently playing 1.2 (Due to 7th Heaven needing to update the mod list) and loving it so far. From 1.3's description, it seems like I can comfortably coast along til disc 2-ish before absolutely needing to update.
Also, I got incredibly lucky with Ziegfried outside of Fort Condor, managing a Morph victory in the first encounter. Then, your wave-crashing demon in Junon quickly put me in my place. It is incredibly refreshing to play a challenging version of this game, especially with all the amazing tweaks and features 7th Heaven allows.
Just wanted to say, awesome stuff. I'm hoping for the day this mod borrows a little from Reunion's translation for the the most enhanced FF7 experience possible.

Thanks for the feedback, cheers me up when I get something like this. The mod isn't perfect by a long-shot, but I'm feeling that it's slowly getting to where I want it to be.

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: 2015-03-22 07:46:21 »
Hey Chief, just checking in with a status report. I'm currently enjoying sweet world map music at the end of disc 2 (putting off the midgar raid), breeding chocobos, playing in the battle square, attempting materia caves (I've got quadra magic!), and getting Vincent's limit break. All in all they're having a jolly old time neglecting to save the world.

A couple of little things I've noticed:
1. The Ghost ship extra battle is misnamed as "Bomb King"
B)For some reason, the yellow huge materia 'talk' box has a format error where the selections scroll up once too many, leaving the first option too high and a blank space in the last spot (It WORKS fine, though! If you account for the shift)
[iii] I had a crash using coin on the Godberries, but I haven't tried again so I'm not sure if it's coin, the enemies, a combination, or was just bad luck (I don't know if this is just a PC thing, like I've heard about Beta and Hyper Jump).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: 2015-03-22 13:50:26 »
I've fixed the first two but it's not in the patch yet. The third is new though, I'll go do some runs with Coin and other attacks that use all-field targeting.

cicadian

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: 2015-03-22 15:54:35 »
im experiencing some odd issues when ive been playing
1. planet-all link doesnt link hydro but does link pearl, so you can cast a holy spell on all targets (likely not intended?)
2. holy absorb from materia link does not absorb pearl damage (i nearly killed myself testing this)
3. shout absorb on everyone via the 3 bahamut materia does not absorb the master materia bahamut summon in kalm town
4. kotr sometimes doesnt say "Ultimate End" when casting
feedback: can you do something to the godberry fight to make it so it does not take 30 minutes to do in the way you intended (constantly cycling debarrier, dispel, esuna, cating offensive magic on yourself, osmose and attacking once per turn with one character, if you're lucky), maybe bring the godberry count down to 3, or 4. Also for new players maybe add a start of the round message for them, when i go right sticks and stones may not break my bones, when i go left i am rubber you are glue, i dont know, something, mime is incredibly powerful but are you sure gating it with a sanity check is the wisest idea? (yes I know about dual working on them!)