Author Topic: FFXIII: Is anyone working on dummy files to free unused movies?  (Read 4835 times)

RichterB

• View Profile
I think should be possible to remove unused movie files.
So, if you use japan audio, can remove english movies, and if you use english audio you can remove japan movies. Probably, delete movie files isnt' a great idea for game stability, so we need some "dummy" empty files to replace real movie unused files.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
I take it you're SigfriedM on Steam? I saw this exact same thread on the Steam forums for FF13, and I'm going to give the exact same answer this question got there, for the benefit of anyone here who might wonder the same thing and doesn't read the Steam forums:

Quote from: Marcelo Sampaio
You CAN delete the movies. The game will work normally.

You just have to know WHICH ones (the English ones have "_us" in their names).

There is literally no advantage to putting in dummy movies compared to just deleting 'em. Either way reduces the filesize by the same amount (technically dummies are bigger, but not enough to matter), both are susceptible to movies being redownloaded on updates or verifying cache, and neither one affects the game's performance or stability at all.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-10 22:19:45 by Covarr »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
... both are susceptible to movies being redownloaded on updates or verifying cache...

This is my biggest issue with removing steam files. I know these can bloat the size requirements a lot, but you're practically forced to have them.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
Turn off updates in the FFXIII properties and it won't redownload anything, chances are it'll never get patched anyway, Japanese Devs and PC releases aren't exactly a thriving topic, Capcom(RE5 and DMC4 onwards were great PC ports, RE4 and DMC3 were horrible, broken, buggy ports done by some random company that Ubisoft outsourced to rather than do the port as it was outsourced to them in the first place) and FromSoftware are about the only ones that have ever made any actual effort in recent years.

Even Evil Within, despite being published by Bethesda and has resolution options for 4K is apparently gonna be locked at 30FPS.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-11 01:20:25 by Tekkie.X »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Don't forget Platinum. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance isn't perfect, as it's capped at 60fps and 1080p, but it's a damn solid effort, scales down quite nicely, and has at least a reasonable set of graphics options.