Author Topic: [FF7] More than 750 sound effects?  (Read 7954 times)

DrLilo

• -- Posh Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VII Kids - Let's Play
[FF7] More than 750 sound effects?
« on: 2014-04-14 17:14:56 »
Hey everyone. Been playing around with sfxedit.exe, cosmo, and makou reactor amongst other tools.
Had fun adding sound effects to scenes, but hit a wall at 750 total files... Is this some kind of hard limit that the game engine can never exceed, or is this just due to the way sfxedit was coded (figuring people probably wouldn't need many more than that..)? I'd love to be able to add an indefinite number of new sounds to the game (not just replacing old ones). Any help or advice would be appreciated.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: [FF7] More than 750 sound effects?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-14 20:14:39 »
The game only has 750 slots allotted for sounds. Cannot be increased.

Some of the custom sound drivers may overcome this limitation, however.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-04 00:33:04 »
Sorry to necro, but i feel like this is relevant as it will allow adding in new and more soundeffects, in higher quality

EDIT: In my excitement, i forgot to paste. So yeas Kal, that was it :P http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15268.msg214658#msg214658
« Last Edit: 2014-07-04 14:23:08 by Hellbringer616 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-04 09:33:39 »
Sorry to necro, but i feel like this is relevant as it will allow adding in new and more soundeffects, in higher quality

And what is it?
Do you mean this: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15268.msg214658#msg214658

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-04 14:23:31 »
Uhhh nooo.... @.@ there is no edit in the post above you :D

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-04 17:30:08 »
So, I'll hijack this topic as it is relevant.

http://www.ficedula.co.uk/voices/Ultrasound_0_20.zip

Same procedure as before: download, unzip, edit .config file to set up paths, go.

The audio\Ultrasound.xml file controls replacement sounds. If you list a sound ID in here, it's replaced; if you don't, FF7 plays it as per normal. As the file shows, you can list multiple files to replace an ID with, and then set what method the program uses to choose between them:

• Sequential: Cycles through the list in order (first time that ID is played, uses file 1, next time, uses file 2, ...
  • Random: Picks a file at random each time
  • Shuffle: Like random, but will play every file once before repeating a file (like shuffling a playlist)

I've coded the ability to restrict sounds based on FieldID and PPV, but that's not tested yet. This is definitely a beta that's not ready for wide use: the latency is bad, I suspect it only supports 44100Hz audio files (although should work with both MP3 & WAV), and so on. But it's ready for modders to try it and tell me what additional options it needs, I guess?

(Right now it intercepts most sounds in the game: sounds in the field, menu, and battle all seem to get captured. A few don't - like the battle swirl sound? I'm not sure why, that must get handled differently by FF7.)

Cheers

EDIT: FieldID and PPV filters seem to work; the syntax is;

<Sound FieldIDs="194,195,196" PPVs="0,191">ultrasound\blip1.mp3</Sound>

If set, the file only triggers when the FieldID and/or PPV value matches those listed.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-04 19:21:33 by ficedula »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-05 06:47:26 »
Lol, does someone else played savegame piano?  :-D

I have forgotten to mention that I need to set the sound direction and its volume.
I make some test later these day and will give you feedback.

By the way, if things go this way more and more, then we will need an Autostarter.exe which starts all the exe's for the game (I currently have 7th Heaven, DLPB's Launcher, Ultrasound and BorderlessWindow.exe).

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-05 09:33:46 »
Lol, does someone else played savegame piano?  :-D

I have forgotten to mention that I need to set the sound direction and its volume.
I make some test later these day and will give you feedback.

FF7 does set a pan value against each sound; the program picks it up, just doesn't actually use it at the moment ... do you need to set a pan value yourself separately from whatever the game does?

By the way, if things go this way more and more, then we will need an Autostarter.exe which starts all the exe's for the game (I currently have 7th Heaven, DLPB's Launcher, Ultrasound and BorderlessWindow.exe).

Longer term this shouldn't be a massive issue; you can drop the DLL into the appropriate folder to have it autoload, and the DLL can launch the Ultrasound program if it's needed and not already running. I've just got it working manually at the moment because it's easier for me developing it.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-05 10:21:50 »
If I add background sound I need to lower its volume when I enter a shop for example and give it a direction from where the sound is coming. If I think of it, it's very possible that need to set three background sounds at once. Maybe I will also need a fade in and out modifier. :-\
It's totally fine if the program uses for the replaced sound the pan the game desire for it.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-05 18:37:14 »
Ah, interesting - so separately from replacing sounds the game was playing, you'd also like to be able to trigger background sounds based on FieldID/PPV?

I'll see if I can add that in to the next version; pan and volume should certainly be in as well.