Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1084818 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.6s)
« Reply #1775 on: 2015-11-05 04:40:57 »
@ManuBBXX
Those are the Qwim type enemies? Yes they grow big and are immune to damage. Whenever they "take a rest" they become immune. When you attack them, they should temporarily lose immunity until they rest again. They rest when the message box says so. I can't recall the exact wording but it's something like "Qwim is taking a rest".

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: 2015-11-05 11:55:09 »
Yeah, it's exactly that message :)
But why are the so hard to beat ? ^^
I want to farm a little before goign the Yuffie's Wutai quest, and Mideel is a great region for that.
Otherwise, where, at lvl 30 ?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1777 on: 2015-11-05 14:32:19 »
Beat all other enemies 1st, if any. Then time your attacks. To damage it you must have 2 attacks lined up. for example: Tifa use a normal attack to remove immunity, then Vincent has a Ultima queued right afterwards. 3rd character should stand by to heal, etc.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: 2015-11-07 17:23:00 »
Thanks you but in fact, the real problem, is all ennemies in mideel area one shots me ^^ Hits betwenn 2500 and 3500 damage, and all my party members are in the back line...

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: 2015-11-07 21:43:04 »
Thanks you but in fact, the real problem, is all ennemies in mideel area one shots me ^^ Hits betwenn 2500 and 3500 damage, and all my party members are in the back line...

Try a combination of Sadness + Barriers; together with Back Row, that'll mitigate physical damage down by 30%, 50%, 50% respectively. Defend can reduce it by another 50%, if you have someone with a maxed Cover use it (with a Counter Attack Materia maybe) then that could help too.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1780 on: 2015-11-09 08:56:39 »
At lvl 30 there should be other places more suitable. For instance wutai area. Just don't go up to the bridge to start the yuffie quest. Or outside temple of the ancients.

If you consistently die in 1 area, then leveling in a lower lvl area would be faster. Less exp but at least you won't have to reset due to game over all the time.

ManuBBXX

• View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: 2015-11-09 09:56:34 »
Yes, thanks Gjoerulv, and Sega chief( HS, but really can't wait to test too your NT Mod in the next 7H catalog update ) :)

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: 2015-12-11 01:03:51 »
Does this mod include damage limit removers ? Or is it balanced around 9999 damage.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1783 on: 2015-12-11 16:52:52 »
@Ethario
No it is not included. I recommend using Ali's custom graphics driver for that.

Note that it isn't necessary to break damage to beat the game, but if you prefer a more casual approach on the endgame (end of disc 2+) you'd want it. The last bosses are a real pain in the ass without (unless you do it the easy way, as shown in Segachief's lvl 1 playthrough)

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: 2015-12-11 17:24:59 »
casual..... CASUAL ? If you give you your word this game is "decently" beatable (we are not talking about 4 hour long fights right ?) with no damage cap, I'll give it my best shot without :p

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1785 on: 2015-12-11 23:05:34 »
A MORE casual approach lol. It's still hard (some über hardcore player still thinks it's easy though).

If any fight last longer than an hour you are doing something wrong haha. The hardest bosses should take 45 mins at the most.

Ethario

• View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: 2015-12-12 00:00:30 »
I'm not that hardcore and playing the game up to junon has given me enough challenge already  :lol: . This damn hellrider VR2 (or whatever its called) near junon is giving me a rough time tho. I managed to silence him and get into a position where I can steal from him but I think my steal chances are 0% must have spend an hour stealing from him, its hard to let go of that unknown loot. Do you know what i'm missing out on or is it to hard to check what he has :p

Having a lot of fun so far btw. Some nice suprises, the difficulty is certainly enough for me. The silver chocobo fight was abit weird tho felt bad for killing the poor thing.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1787 on: 2015-12-12 01:19:11 »
That rider has X-potions. Nothing to fret over.

Yeah... that Silver Chocobo fight... I can't recall exactly what I was thinking. I guess I just wanted a bizarre fight to reflect on the silliness of chocomog. But it didn't turn out too good. In hindsight I should have done something else.

Kaminathemighty

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: 2015-12-27 02:34:07 »
Hate to bump a thread, but I'm having two specific crashes that I'm wondering how to fix. These two locations: The Shinra building after Sephiroth massacres the Shinra employees, and the Cargo Ship from Junon always crash the game when I get into a battle. I've had to change the files back to FF7's normal files to get through these areas, but I want to know how to fix this for future playthroughs. I'm playing the Steam version. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-27 02:40:03 by Kaminathemighty »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1789 on: 2015-12-27 09:48:52 »
Are you using any other mod? And what language are you playing? I have never tried to play through the steam version but I'll take a look.

Kaminathemighty

• View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: 2015-12-27 16:05:10 »
I'm not using any other mods. It's not that big of an issue though as these seem to be the only two areas that do this. I'm playing the English version.

walkinghawking

• Weapon killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: 2016-01-12 14:50:45 »
Gjoerulv, I've encountered an issue with the Kyuvilduns enemy in Mt. Nibel.  When battle scene #581 (three Kyuvilduns) tries to load, FF7 crashes.  I have mods installed via 7th Heaven (including Hardcore mod), however I've tested multiple scenarios and narrowed it down to either The Reunion R03e or the Hardcore mod as the culprit.  Has anybody else reported this issue?  Thank you for the hard work!  Loving the changes in Hardcore mod!

EDIT:  It's an issue with The Reunion - Beacause + Hardcore mod together.  After testing with Hardcore mod and no Beacause, I was able to enter battle with scene #581.
« Last Edit: 2016-01-12 15:07:53 by walkinghawking »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1792 on: 2016-01-12 15:16:18 »
@walkinghawking
Phew, glad it wasn't my mod haha! I'm still checking out the other bug reported. Currently I've reached jueno on new game ('cause why not do it that way :P), which means I'll find out soon.

walkinghawking

• Weapon killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: 2016-01-14 01:35:11 »
@gjoerulv
Any chance you have a list detailing the individual changes, additions, etc. made by the hardcore mod?  I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find anything.

By the way, you're a sadistic man.  Those dragons at Mt. Nibel are no joke...  I spent a good hour trying everything I could think of to put a dent in them to no avail.  I'm not a glutton for punishment so I figured they're not meant to be beaten unless you're maxed out, if at all.  It's a good thing there's a save point right next to them because they wiped the floor with me, lol. 

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: 2016-03-04 11:24:45 »
And so I have started this game. As per Sega Chief's advice, I got lots of Potions and stuff before fighting he Scorpion. The Scoprion however was nothing  compared to Air Buster or whatever its called. I died so many times there.... I used up about 11 of my 12 Potions, 1 of my 10 Ethers and 1 of my 2 Phoenix Downs. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me... I really don't want to fight that thing again. I'll keep multiple saves just in case.

Also, is your mod designed for any ATB speed? Like, many FFIX mods are made for Wait becase Active can totally screw you up. I myself had to change from Active to Wait for Air Buster because I was getting destroyed. I dunno what "Recommended" is.

But I do intend to beat this. It just looks like I have a long road ahead of me and full of reloading.

EDIT:

Well it took a billion more tries but on my second successful match against AB, I walked out with 13 Potions. Barret was dead and I had no more Phoenix Downs but I think I'm far more content with this victory than the last.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-04 17:19:39 by Nikkolas »

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: 2016-03-05 09:33:28 »
I thought I could get by on two Mythril Armlets. Gotta conserve that Gil, ya know. The surprise boss fight with Theo/Locke/Venus corrected me on this score. Halled my ass all the way back to Wall Market to buy anther one and some more Tranqs.

I hope my strategy of "use my last Deadly Waste and then turtle up with healing until two of them are dead from Poison' isn't considered wrong or cowardly. They hit so hard and so fast. A lot of it is luck, hoping Barret can Mind Blow away Locke's and Theo's MP. It is Locke and Theo with the super magic attacks, right?

In any event, it's Final Fantasy IX all over again. Gotta steal EVERYTHING from bosses. It's part of the boss' challenge. Well I got my Silver Armlet, Fairy Ring and Headband. I'm happy.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: 2016-03-08 14:44:35 »
And I just beat Lost Number. He killed me so fast the first time, and I looked at his Level which was 59 compared to our 39 and I was thinking "maybe I just have to wait to do this.'"

But the problem wasn't just how hard he hit but how fast he was. And then I remembered I have this nice Time materia I made sure to get in Gongaga.

Were status effects always this good in VII? It's like, I was so anxious about spending so much Gil on the Seal materia way back, but then I learned how amazing Sleep was on the Cargo Ship.  And of course Poison has saved my ass several times, including here.

It's like, the enemy hits like a truck, what can I do about that? Sleep/Slow/Mini/Poison/etc.. I really dig that. Makes fights more strategic.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: 2016-03-10 15:51:01 »
So I don't think anyone is reading these but oh well.

The Battle Arena...it's not as hard as in New Threat. Or I'm better at the game than I was in NT. I've come so close to winning so many times. I know I don'thave to win to get the Keystone but it's a matter of pride at this point. I can't let all those hours be for nothing.

But goddam, I'm so tempted to just give up. I have had nothing but fun with this mod until now. But this repeated failure is soul-crushing.

EDIT:

I did it! So I was like "this attempt is another bust" because the only slot handicaps I was getting were Materia is Broken. This right after an attempt where I kept getting "Yes no handicaps!" slots but eventually "busted" when I got "All Materia is broken" halfway through. Anyway, wouldn't you know it, the one successful attempt was the one where I kept getting stuff like Independent materia is broken, Support materia is broken, etc.. Eventually, as I knew it would, it landed on Magic materia is broken...right for the final fight. Only, the final fight is with one of those dudes on the swinging things from Nibelheim Mansion. Leviathan did a total of 114  damage to it. So needless to say, magic attacks are not  effective. So I turtled up, removed Sadness and instead got Fury, and just clung to life, defending and healing and killed it with Limit spam. Used up all my X Potions, a Turbo Ether and 2 Elixirs but I did it.

And...for what? A Protect Vest and Choco Feather?

Okay, I'm reloading and not even trying. I'll let myself lose. I have all of those items already and they are not worth the investment of 2 out of 3 of my precious Elixirs. All I wanted to do was prove I could do it and I did that.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-10 17:46:52 by Nikkolas »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: 2016-03-10 20:06:43 »
Heh heh heh.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: 2016-03-12 18:59:55 »
How much HP does friggin' Jenova DEATH have? I thought Jenova WAR was a pain but jesus, I'm using up all my Elixirs, all 3 of my Megalixirs, dropped at least 3 Meteorains, Neo Bahamut, Bahamut, Tifa's Limits, Tifa Deathblows and Cloud Comet + Added Attack and I still lost.

Cloud's Comet/Added Attack does about 5000 thanksto Gigas Armlet and Magic Plus. Neo Bahamut and Bahamut do another 14000, Tifa is constantly hitting for 3000 or 4000 with Limits if I'm lucky and get Yeah's...  After summons I just have Vincent on constant healing duty because you need it.

But it still wasn't enough.... I might have won with the last Meteorain but she musthave some  cheap "goes before everything else" gimmick that beats even Limits because she got off 3 Red Lights while I had selected Meteorain after the first one.

Maybe it's time everyone starts packing Restore materia. I have used only two healers for the entire game and have managed well enough. I made it here, didn't I? I had Barret, Cid and now Tifa just concentrate on physical attacks and Time magic. But now, I'm really feeling the lack of a third healer. Curaga-All is worthless to keep up with the damage here.

EDIT:

A clinch win if ever there was one. I was all out of Phoenix; Downs, Vincent just got KO'ed by Red Light and Cloud just took a Red Light which gave him his Limit. Meteorain won me the day.

Used up all my Elixirs and my last X Potion. Luckily, I have been discovering that "Morph", while annoying, is absolutely amazing. I can Morph those Harpy's in the Gold Saucer desert into Elixirs.  I only did it once, because I 've been trying Morph on everything just to see if it's any good, but I resolved not to grind for Elixirs like this because I'm playing a challenge mod for a reason. But I feel fully justified in at least replenishing my stock a little. I didn't want to use Tifa anyway. My party should have Cid in it. Stupid Tifa and her slot limit breaks....
« Last Edit: 2016-03-12 19:51:54 by Nikkolas »