Author Topic: Aali's driver [v 0.7.8b] Help/Bugs/Suggestions  (Read 182259 times)

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aali's driver [v 0.7.8b] Help/Bugs/Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: 2010-06-27 18:04:19 »
i just got FF7 running on this acer laptop, and the driver functions okay. Problem is, i cannot specify any resolution other than 640x480. I can run windowed and fullscreen at 640x480, but even if i go up to 800x600 i do not get any video. I can still hear the sounds playing, and i can move the selector hand up and down. As soon as i drop back to 640x480, i get video again.

Please help!
Lee

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010-06-27 18:12:24 »
I wonder what is happening, are you sure you installed the video cards drivers correctly?(Has no idea whats in there) It seems like a driver issue to me, not so much an issue with aali's.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010-06-27 19:25:32 »
pyrozen: Anything useful in app.log when you set some other resolution? Does turning off prevent_rounding_errors let you play in other resolutions? (not a nice permanent solution since you'll have glitches)

smf052910: If you don't like it, don't use it. FF8 support is not perfect, I'm fully aware of this. It's a bit slower than it has to be, it's missing stuff and some things just don't look right. If god has mercy on our souls this will all be fixed in due time, but for now it is what it is, take it or leave it. If you have any constructive criticism I'm all ears.

myst6re: Thank you for the bug report and the crash dump, I haven't done a lot of play testing with FF8 lately so there may well be more of them.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010-06-27 19:44:38 »
app.log was clear, but i got the problem cleared up. I used some different drivers and things seem to be working perfectly.

smf052910

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2010-06-27 20:09:51 »
pyrozen: Anything useful in app.log when you set some other resolution? Does turning off prevent_rounding_errors let you play in other resolutions? (not a nice permanent solution since you'll have glitches)

smf052910: If you don't like it, don't use it. FF8 support is not perfect, I'm fully aware of this. It's a bit slower than it has to be, it's missing stuff and some things just don't look right. If god has mercy on our souls this will all be fixed in due time, but for now it is what it is, take it or leave it. If you have any constructive criticism I'm all ears.

myst6re: Thank you for the bug report and the crash dump, I haven't done a lot of play testing with FF8 lately so there may well be more of them.

I don't understand why you are using OpenGL when the client supports DirectX by default. I am working on something similar to your driver, using DirectX, and the only task I'm facing is centering the image.

« Last Edit: 2010-06-28 15:21:25 by smf052910 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010-06-27 21:52:38 »
Because opengl is documented much better and is better across platforms like linux I am guessing.  It doesn't always have to be the case that just because dx exists it has to be used.  There are reasons.

Plus Opengl is fine.  I think it all looks good and I don't need DX.

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010-06-27 21:57:16 »
One main point Aali made a reference to was that Open GL doesn't have "poor backwards compatibility" (or something like that). FF7 and 8 were made with like... DX 5 or 6? And now it doesn't even run on DX9 without loads of tricks, hacks and fixes.

panreyes

« Reply #82 on: 2010-06-28 12:31:07 »
One idea.

It will be surely be impossible to change ingame FPS (not double speed: smoother animations)
What about an interpolation filter? Could it be possible? Is it hard?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2010-06-28 15:23:24 »
It is something that is being discussed as to the feasibility of it right now.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010-06-29 04:21:39 »
Well, I have this on my game, but I don't know how to change the resolution at all. When I bring up the config, it only gives me 640x480 Quarterscreen or Fullscreen. How do I get the other resolutions? I'm still new to all this, so I could use a bit of help. Thankyee.

Edit: I figured out how to open it, I just don't know what to do when it's open. I just got out of high school and have no idea how to do much with computer programs and such.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 04:28:01 by Mirenheart »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010-06-29 04:33:33 »
don't use FF7 install's provided config file(well do, but set it to custom driver and leave it alone)

Make sure you have aali's and have put it in your game folder, then find ff7_opengl.cfg or ff8_opengl.cfg (both in your game folder, choose the cfg for the game your playing)

Inside of the cfg file will be options you will have to manually edit, but it is not hard in the least.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010-06-29 04:41:49 »
Edit: Ahh, I found out how to do it, but now I need to know what sizes I can work with. I have 800x600, but are there others i can do?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 04:52:06 by Mirenheart »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2010-06-29 05:04:19 »
any factor of the original size will work fine, if not the drivers gonna scale it down. I use 1920x1440 myself.

Vsys

« Reply #88 on: 2010-06-29 07:04:40 »
Hi, I recently installed applied this patch since FF7 no longer seems to work correctly (It worked fine several months ago). Upon starting the game, the screen simply remains black as the Eidos theme plays. Subsequent to that, there is no way of starting or exiting the game thus forcing a system restart.

In any case, with the new patch, the problem is that although it is now possible to actually view the movies, the audio of the clip stops playing after 1-2 seconds within starting. Case in point: Eidos logo animation at the beginning sounds for a second or so before all audio is cut off. The beginning animation also suffers from the same problem so it can be speculated that all movies will play erroneously.

I installed XviD and uninstalled it as it did not seem to fix any of the problems. I currently have the latest CCCP beta and Real Alternative installed.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2010-06-29 11:39:21 »
Aali
I've got a suggestion/want to ask you something

have you thought about/planing to make your own config exe or edit the ff7config exe. So people don't have to open the cfg file and edit it on notepad?

It would cut down on people that edit it wrongly and make it easier to set up

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2010-06-29 12:03:02 »
Aali
I've got a suggestion/want to ask you something

have you thought about/planing to make your own config exe or edit the ff7config exe. So people don't have to open the cfg file and edit it on notepad?

It would cut down on people that edit it wrongly and make it easier to set up
I second this. Maybe like the new custom ff8configurator style so new people will not keep on asking and posting what's wrong with their cfg files.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010-06-29 12:59:19 »
Its on my todo list but its far far far far far down and it will probably not happen. Feel free to write one though, I use libconfuse to read the config files and its capable of writing them too so you don't have to worry about that.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2010-06-29 13:16:36 »
Thanks for the speedy reply Aali
I can wait, i was only really asking if you planed to at some point.
I did have a feeling if you was going to do one, it would be far off as their more important things to be doing with your drivers right now

jflta

« Reply #93 on: 2010-06-29 17:38:34 »
Hi everyone

This version is the first in this series I've tried and I'm certainly new to the modding community, so there's every chance I'm simply overlooking something really basic here, but I can't get this to work.

I've installed FF7 and installed the driver; upon running, the game displays both the Squaresoft intro screen and the opening credits scene (the latter without sound) then displays the menu, also without sound.  When I select New Game the game crashes and no app.log or crash.dmp file is created.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong? Obviously if there's any information you think I'm failing to provide, please let me know.

Thanks!

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2010-06-29 17:44:03 »
Have you read this guide?

You also need to install the 1.02 patch to get the game working and have a ff7input.cfg file and save files (the saves can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of the OP of the thread I lined to. If you download the saves, load one without using the driver and then make a new save, the ff7input.cfg file will be created.

If you have set everything up properly, it might be wise to simply reinstall (making sure you delete all the game's files when you uninstall it).

jflta

« Reply #95 on: 2010-06-29 18:35:38 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Hmm...I've done everything you said (I'd missed out the step with the saved games before), tried reinstalling, and the problem is the same, with the exceptions that 1) the error message 'couldn't open movie file' appears in the bottom-right (that is, one of the in-built error messages in red type), and 2) upon trying to start/load a game I get the inbuilt error message instead of the windows one, but again the crash dump and APP files which the message says it has created do not appear.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2010-06-29 18:42:02 »
This thread is about 0.7.8b, your symptoms suggest that you are running 0.7.7b.
Also, app.log should always be created, even if it doesn't crash, be sure to double and triple check the working directory of ff7.exe.

jflta

« Reply #97 on: 2010-06-29 18:49:31 »
Hi Aali, thanks for your help.

I've had a good check, and it's definitely 0.7.8b, and there's definitely no app.log file.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2010-06-29 21:47:17 »
Has anyone else got a problem with CG cut scenes in FF8? I cant get to the fight with Adel because the movie wont load :/

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2010-06-29 21:49:15 »
just started a new game and it occured to me that the movie is ridiculously long. Any way/chance of adding the ability to skip movies through the driver? I know there is another mod that allows you to do this, but i noticed you have implemented a few other mods into yours, and this might be a good addition. Keep it up!

lee