Author Topic: Full FF7 Documentation  (Read 4225 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Full FF7 Documentation
« on: 2011-08-19 17:26:54 »
I thought of it, and since S-E doesn't seem to release soon the remake of FF7, better do it ourselves. Just to be sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, I DO NOT mean to graphical enhance the game, but reverse engineering it, at least be able to edit any byte from the game. It requires time (everyone has a bit sometime), patience (find yours), knowledge (do not ask here, roam around and learn; this is not for newbies) and, for some people, programming skills. The whole documentation won't be in this topic, however, I expect anyone to post here and not in the documentation one. I'll post soon the documentation, but I want to have your thoughts before. So?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-19 19:50:16 by Vgr »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Enhancing FF7 (Full Fan Remake)?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-19 17:51:34 »
If we can barely update FF7 what makes you think we can make an entire new remake?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Enhancing FF7 (Full Fan Remake)?
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-19 18:32:20 »
That's why I said that we need time, and also, why we need documenting every single byte of the game. Might not result in a remake, but at least a full documentation. Like Halkun's project, but more... detailed.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: Full FF7 Documentation
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-19 20:10:02 »
there is also this here spreadsheet i've been working on  not sure how to detail this more.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CLj0iJAL&key=0AhqH9L8_QubjdGkxcXdOYXdQdS14Y3c5bURBT1NSU3c&hl=en&authkey=CLj0iJAL#gid=0

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-19 20:39:06 »
Yup, I know. But I will use that too. And, anyway, this is what I'm telling everyone : If you don't like my projects or ideas, then don't use them or don't comment at all.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-19 20:41:49 »
Thats not the way it works. If you ask someone for their opinion dont get pouty if they dont like it. If you dont want to know what people think dont ask.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-19 20:47:29 »
Sorry I misexplained. I meant that people CAN give their thoughts, but I force nobody to use it or refer to it.

pacito-ex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-20 03:49:55 »
Dude, I see that you've identified what each file does/has info on... now about the data stored in each file... are you going to want to know what each hex byte does?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-20 14:47:18 »
As far as documentation goes, i think the qhimm community has more than enough to pull off a remake. All the important formulas are known, as well as status effects, and pretty much any other major variables in the game. Deep analysis may reveal some of  the mystery behind the seemingly randomness of some pointers, but much of the code behind the game only serves as a framework, with a few key bytes actually "controlling" the outcome of your actions in a given scenario.

I agree with your motivations, but I don't feel that a byte-by-byte analysis of all the game files would yield anything extremely important that we don't already know about.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-20 14:48:39 »
Well, that's mainly the point of finding stuff we don't know about. Maybe not byte-by-byte, but lots of stuff though.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-20 16:37:58 »
most of a remake would be making the resources like fmv's models,backgrounds etc... the engine is little work compaired to all of that, and  it looks like q gears is will be done way before the  resorces are finished just based on its current progress.  with that and if TA ever completes all the gfx stuff. then we could put them together and have a mostly complete fan remake add in the finalfanTim's looping oggs and we are missing only sound effects and field scripts.