Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in seeing this project revived?  (Read 16628 times)

The Pezman

• View Profile
I came back to Qhimm forums after a long hiatus. I was one of the voice actors on this project, and I witnessed firsthand many of the reasons that this project fell apart. I was surprised to see a subforum here still devoted to it, but the last post date here was 2/3 of a year ago. I feel it's safe to assume that we won't be hearing much more about this project as things stand.

However, I was always curious about fan reception. Was this project something that people felt would add something new and meaningful to the game? Something that would add a new depth to the gameplay experience? One factors that led to the project's downfall was a lack of communication and understanding with the other fans, the people we were ultimately doing this for.

I'd be hesitant to step up as project leader, but I would be interested in knowing if there is enough traction to try and give this another shot. I'd still be happy to participate as a VA, and I do think that it would be an awesome mod if we could finish and implement it correctly.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Of course I'm interested! This is such a great project... I couldn't do it because my English-speaking is crap :P

Cazador

• View Profile
I was considered for Cloud or Sephiroth but never pursued it and was beaten out in the end anyway...but if you need VAs let me know. I'll audition. I also have a buddy that can do a mean Hojo :D

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Just tought : I can do some NPCs because they don't need a "perfect" voice :P

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
Good timing as I've been working behind the scenes on a new concept for this project.

I think it's unrealistic to expect the voice actor playing Cloud to record over 1500 lines of text so this project would always end incomplete and in failure.  Once you accept that, the course of action becomes painfully clear : record the most important scenes of the game working our way from the most important ones down.  Even most professional games don't voice the whole game so why should we ?

So I've taken it upon myself to choose the most important scenes from the game, in order of importance.  What I'm planning to do is start from the most important scenes and go down from there as a group.  Once a VA quits, we release and the project is over so everyone in the team would be dependant on each other and I hope positive peer pressure would keep people from shirking their responsabilities.

I've also been tinkering with finding an alternate recording method rather than everybody recording their own lines by themselves as we did as I believe that was a huge turnoff to some.  I'm testing a few different softwares now that could accomplish a similar task to ventrillo but record the group output in good quality.  Mumble is coming out ahead of that search but I still have tests to do to make sure recording quality is adequate.  That way, I hope to avoid sounding "wooden" and forced if we record the whole scene as a group where everyone would "play" together the scene more naturally.  We do 4-5 succesful take as a group of each scene and I pick the best lines out of those samples to put in game and I or an auditor editor would do the audio post processing and cut, name them.

Mesden/Aaron will also not be involved this time as he's shown no interest in resuming.  If nobody qualified steps up to the role, I'm ready to fill it.  I wouldn't focus on technical delivery as much as he did and I know the game well enough to know what I want each character to sound like and which emotions should come through in what scenes so it's certainly within my capabilities.  I also don't expect this project to be anything but a nice complement to the game that some people would love and some others hate and I can live with that and it's going to be as professional sounding as we can manage as a group.  I also hope recording scenes as a group will give the lines a more natural flow.

Old cast members are welcome to re-apply but it doesn't mean you'll get the same roles you did if at all.  I'll contact some by e-mail I liked the sound and commitment of if you haven't replied here before audition starts

My priorities for casting would be : commitment, availability, voice type, mic equipment, experience and other factors; in that order.

I'll be posting an auditions thread once I'm ready to go.  Most likely in the first week of May.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
if I have a working comp by then I'll definitely audition. This is definitely a sweet idea. Voice acting the whole game would be sweet but whatever we can manage is still awesome. Glad to see that it's not entirely dead  :-D

Marc

• View Profile
I'm happy to report I've managed to touch base with Mesden last night and he's still in for the duration.

This will only improve the quality of the project as what he's done since then has been extremely well received and high quality.

As stated yesterday, auditions will begin in a few weeks.

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
You can count me in, not sure how my voice would fit in, but I figure it's always good to have extras.

Opine

• View Profile
Wow Marc, I am thrilled to hear that you are still so dedicated to this project!

I also completely agree with you that not everything needs to (or really even should) be voiced. I specifically remember one scene where the VAs were voicing "press the purple square button"... That was a little excessive.
As you said, most games don't voice the non-important things. In fact, I'd doubt that even half of the stuff is usually voiced, unless it's integral plot development.

I would like still partake in this. But I am going to have to take an honest look at my schedule and see if I really currently have time, before I reapply.  Either way, I am glad to hear that this project is still going forward  :)

Salk

• View Profile
I am interested in this project as well although I am a bit turned off by the initial premise of a partial recording.

Good luck with it!

The Pezman

• View Profile
Re: Would anyone be interested in seeing this project revived?
« Reply #10 on: 2011-04-19 19:29:54 »
I believe you've got my email, Marc. Could you please put me on the email list so I know when this gets started? I may forget to check here...

Truth Unknown

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-04-22 12:41:13 »
I've been interested in both trying out for a voice role and the benefit helping new people into a game this old.

Unfortunately I never fully beaten the game out of ignorance, having a crappy PC when I bought it at the time and have watched half of the game discs stabbed by a pair of scissors in front of my eyes (never got the first game disc). Now seeing the "rough" edges of an aged game and just getting distracted by the next shiny game doesn't help, but I'm finally getting through this game.

As for the trying out for a voice role, I'll just have to see when the time comes.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-04-22 22:06:11 »
I am interested in this project as well although I am a bit turned off by the initial premise of a partial recording.

Good luck with it!

The goal is to have a full recording.  But it's highly unprobable it'll ever happen given the scope of the project.  That's why, I believe, it's smart to focus on key parts first.

JayMarvels

« Reply #13 on: 2011-04-29 09:08:23 »
As with the New sound effects for FFVII project I'm happy to lend a technical hand in any audio post production.

I have all the professional hardware and software. Even if the clips arent 100% clean I can do a certain amount of post editing before it becomes destructive to clean them up.

In an ideal scenario we'd be in a studio, all with pop shields and sound boards with mics properly eq'd

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-04-29 13:22:00 »
Good timing as I've been working behind the scenes on a new concept for this project.

I think it's unrealistic to expect the voice actor playing Cloud to record over 1500 lines of text so this project would always end incomplete and in failure.  Once you accept that, the course of action becomes painfully clear : record the most important scenes of the game working our way from the most important ones down.  Even most professional games don't voice the whole game so why should we ?

Marc, even though it may seem a hassle, if there are other people on here as dedicated as me Im sure plenty would have no problem recording 1500 lines. I would definately take it on, but who knows how my Alabama voice would mix in with the rest of the voice actors lol.

But then again, Ive done impressions all my life, so I can talk with no accent whatsoever.

Anyways just to let you know, Id be fully willing to accept any part(especially Cid!) and do EVERY line of text they have, all with A+ effort given.I have limited recording equipment, as I record some jam sessions we do around here. Just let me know something, hell, I could even post a link to some completed lines if anyone is interested.
--------------------

Edit: Decided to find some lines to practice reading, found the full game script here http://members.fortunecity.com/sephkatana/ff7stuff/ff7sc.html (who knew fortune city was still around, remember geocities?)
« Last Edit: 2011-04-29 13:34:36 by jeffdamann »

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-04-29 14:09:13 »
Marc, even though it may seem a hassle, if there are other people on here as dedicated as me Im sure plenty would have no problem recording 1500 lines.
Unfortunately, it's not as plentiful as you'd think.
Most people start out thinking they'd love to tackle all of the lines. But once reality of the work required sets in, their enthusiasm sputters out.

So even if there are 2-3 people really gung-ho about recording all the lines, if everyone else fizzles out, the project still dies.
So cutting down the volume is probably the best way to go about it.
If the important lines all get recorded, and people want to keep going, I am sure that the project will continue, and complete everything. But recording the priority first, is prob the best way to handle it.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-04-30 03:17:00 »
Well thought out, in retrospect, after hearing your arguement, I heavily believe that what you have outlined would be the best way to go. As stated if the project is finished the actors could still finish ALL the lines.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-04-30 15:59:58 »
Unfortunately, it's not as plentiful as you'd think.
Most people start out thinking they'd love to tackle all of the lines. But once reality of the work required sets in, their enthusiasm sputters out.

So even if there are 2-3 people really gung-ho about recording all the lines, if everyone else fizzles out, the project still dies.
So cutting down the volume is probably the best way to go about it.
If the important lines all get recorded, and people want to keep going, I am sure that the project will continue, and complete everything. But recording the priority first, is prob the best way to handle it.

Bingo.  Listen to the voice of experience!

As stated above, the goal is still to get 100% completion, but given the high probability it won't happen, I believe its smarter to do it by order of priority.

As with the New sound effects for FFVII project I'm happy to lend a technical hand in any audio post production.

I have all the professional hardware and software. Even if the clips arent 100% clean I can do a certain amount of post editing before it becomes destructive to clean them up.

In an ideal scenario we'd be in a studio, all with pop shields and sound boards with mics properly eq'd

Your help is most welcomed.  It is a grand project in scope so we might assemble a team of editors if the workload becomes too heavy.  I'll send you a PM shortly.

delia_mad420

« Reply #18 on: 2011-05-15 00:09:20 »
Yes  I most certainly would. I have played the Final Fantasy for the PS3 and even with the better graphics I still enjoy the FF7 that I have downloaded to my PS3. I think it is worth too much $$ to not recreated and expand on the original FF7. I have been playing RPG's for 22 years. In that time FF7 stands out. For instance Dragon Age Origins was great gameplay and was looking like it might just be my new favorite until Dragon Age 2 was released. DA2 was so blah I regret pre buying it. I should have waited for some player reviews before wasting $ 70.00

lakesideminuet

« Reply #19 on: 2011-05-15 06:30:53 »
I would love to be part of this! I'm not sure I have nearly enough experience for it, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to give it my best shot and fill a female role. My semester comes to a close fairly soon and when it picks back up in the fall, I have mostly morning (EST) classes; my afternoons/nights should be relatively flexible.

I'm sort of unsure which character would suit me best, in all honesty, so what would you suggest I do in this type of situation? I was thinking maybe I could just audition for Aerith when her first lines come up (if they're being voiced) when Cloud talks to her and she tries to sell the flower and you'll tell me which character you'd think my voice is better for, but then there's the problem of being in the character mindset and such, so I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

EDIT: I'm looking into getting a microphone for when I'm recording music with some friends of mine, so any suggestions that would be good for both voicing and instrumental purposes would be completely appreciated (not sure if it's worth mentioning that I'm a cellist). I'm not involved enough in my music anymore to the point where I would mind getting a microphone a little more geared towards voice recording, either, since one of my friends I record with is a vocalist. So yeah!
« Last Edit: 2011-05-15 12:17:45 by lakesideminuet »

steven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-05-15 22:54:22 »
I'd love to be part of this myself, but the best I could do to help was maybe a small part as a 1 or 2 line NPC as I really am not skilled enough as a VA to do any big role.

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-05-16 23:01:12 »
Let me know if you need Cloud or Sephiroth..I might try out  :-D

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-05-18 01:24:07 »
A casting call HAS been posted.

I haven't heard from the director that he's found the voice profile he wanted for Cloud so do send in your recordings as per the instructyions in the auditions thread.  Quickly.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-05-28 00:20:28 »
I know my voice would be perfect for cloud but I don't have the setup that is required right now, as you can imagine I am quite upset  :'(