Author Topic: [FF7] Gaps between magic spells in battle menu  (Read 2171 times)

BoneSaw

• View Profile
[FF7] Gaps between magic spells in battle menu
« on: 2018-04-26 14:12:32 »
Hello,

First of all I want to say thanks to all the modders on this forum. I've never really been able to get past ff7's rather dated graphics and design, and these mods have changed all that.

I have a small problem though. For some reason, when I'm in battle and I go to the magic menu, there's a few spaces in between each spell. So, it'll say "cure" or whatever, then i have to scroll down 3 or 4 times to get to the next spell. If I have a lot of spells, I have to scroll a lot.

At first I figured this was "reunion" glitching out, but even when I deactivated that mod, the problem still persisted. So, does anyone know what's wrong? I could use some help.

Here's what it looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/p7zNktY

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7] Gaps between magic spells in battle menu
« Reply #1 on: 2018-04-26 22:40:56 »
This is normal. Those spaces are filled by higher level effects such as Blizzara and Blizzard.  The engine doesnt support neat commands.  It would have to be added.

BoneSaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-04-27 01:19:38 »
Are you saying it would look that way in vanilla FF7? I don't really remember that being the case...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-04-27 13:24:03 »
Vanilla does not have that interface. I created it.

Vanilla has 3 columns and not 1.  So you see the gaps in the same row.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2018-04-27 13:25:35 »
In vanilla there are four "categories" of magic: Restore, Attack, Indirect and "Forbidden". Each magic action is assigned to one of these categories in a specific order. If a character has even one of these actions in a category, the entire category is added to the magic menu for that character including the not-enabled magics that will just appear as a blank in the menu. If a character doesn't have a magic action in a given category, the entire category is omitted from the magic menu for that character. The categories can be rearranged in the options menu, though Forbidden will always be last.

eg.
Aerith has Cure1, Cure2, Poisona, Barrier and MBarrier on her. Cure1, Cure2 and Poisona belong to the Restore category and the Barriers belong to the Indirect category. Her battle menu would then look like this:

Code: [Select]
Cure1    Cure2
Poisona

Barrier  MBarrier

Those blank lines fill out the Restore category and pad the beginning of the Indirect category.