Author Topic: So want to make different weapon models for Sephiroth  (Read 552 times)

genesis063

• Freak
  • Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
Is there some way to do this in Kimera or do I have to get a modeling program and use blender to change it to a format to open it with and change back?

Edit: So did some poking around and it's kind of hard to do through Kimera.  You can look for parts to load in on it.  You can change it colors though you will have to play around with the lighting to make it more natural for it to match with the models.
« Last Edit: 2018-05-04 04:13:50 by genesis063 »

weeemus

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
Re: So want to make different weapon models for Sephiroth
« Reply #1 on: 2018-05-04 14:19:55 »
As you have mentioned "it's kind of hard to do through Kimera" Indeed it is. Not impossible but unnecessarily time consuming. The best method is to create a model with either blender/3dmax/maya etc. I personally use 3D Max myself.

The program you will need if you are importing models; "Pcreator" Unfortunately Pcreator doesn't support importing vertex colouring along with the model. So what you would have to do is create a model and convert it to a .p file. In your case a battle model, you can choose battle under the context menu or just rename the extension of .p to nothing and open kimera to paint individual polys and adjust the lighting for a smoother consistency. (Which is a painfully long way of trial and error)

If you resort to using textures instead of vertex paint, it'll save you a lot of time and have a better outcome for quality. What i'd suggest for a hassle free way of creating models and not spending too much time on "textures" and "uv unwraping" is to:

Method 1 (Creating from scratch)
Create the model in your 3D program and vertex paint it within the program as it is easy to create a smooth consistency of highlights, mid tones and shadows. (like using a faded brush in photoshop) After your happy with the results, we want to convert the vertex paint into a texture file instead which is called "baking textures" by rendering it to a texture file instead. Voila done and now export the model as a .3ds and import it into Pcreator. And optional step, if you want to add more detail to your textures, you can always re-edit it in photoshop after you have baked it.

Method 2 (Modifying Original Model and/or creating a new model from it)
Open battle.lgp and find Sephiroth's weapon "muck" and save it to any location for now. Open "Biturn" and locate "muck" and export it as a.3ds or .obj and import that file into your 3D program. Now you have a foundation to work with, either choose to cut and slice to modify the original model or create new faces ontop of it etc. And for the exporting, you'd follow the same steps as method 1, via Pcreator.

Hope this helped.

genesis063

• Freak
  • Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-05-04 20:17:39 »
Thanks a lot I'll try this out soon and thanks for the insight.  The only issue I have with blender is I don't understand it currently and a total noob with it.  Appreciate the steps and I'll look up a blender user guide video so I can get an understanding of how everything works.  Right now the only snag is I can't find me pcreator.  Also the main pcreator download link is down.  Could you send one to covar so he can put it in?

weeemus

• Crazy poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-05-05 17:05:07 »
No worries. For the time being you can find the essential tools on https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=838174965

Forgot to mention on my previous post. The texture should be saved as an 8 bit bmp in order to be used in Pcreator.  When you add the texture to the model in Pcreator and if the textures turns out to be wrong, you'll have to flip the uv around within pcreator until it's correctly in place and then export your model. Finally you would also need to convert your bmp texture into a .tex file. Don't use biturn, it doesn't work as well and bugs up at times. Instead use "image2tex" which you can find here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17755.0

For the battle models, rename the .tex extension to blank and your good to go.

It sounds far more complicated than it actually is. Anything written has to be long and descriptive ha and you lose track of the steps but when you start, it's not all that bad.

Best of luck and have fun modding :)