Final Fantasy 7 > WIP

[FF7PC] Remako HD Field Mod using AI neural networks (WIP)

(1/9) > >>

CaptRobau:
What is it?

The Final Fantasy VII Remako HD Field Mod is a project I’ve been working on for a bit. Major strides have been made in making FF7 look much better. Yet, the field backgrounds have always remained behind. Traditional upscaling such as Waifu2x leaves a lot to be desired and manual remodelling such as Team Avalanche takes a lot of time.

I’ve been looking into machine learning to do the upscaling and landed on a great program called Gigapixel. Initial results were very good and after some more tweaking with the generation algorithm I ended on a good setup for upscaling FF7’s low-res pre-rendered field backgrounds by 400%.

After some in-game testing (boy, can FF7 be a chore to set up for modding) I’m now working on a mod that uses these AI-enhanced upscaled images. Among other things, this means lots of nights of leaving the program on to do its magic. I expect an initial release to be possible within a week or two.

Screenshots

Below is a comparison of the opening scene with vanilla at the top and Remako at the bottom. As you can see it’s a marked improvement and at times it looks like it’s a rerendered image.

Some other examples of the 400% upscaled field backgrounds (these shots are not in-game):

Let me know what you think!

Covarr:
Very nice! I've seen efforts made with other NN-based tools, such as Let's Enhance or ESRGAN, but this really seems to blow them out of the water.

Tsuna:
Got my vote, this is brilliant

satsuki:
Seems like a manga109 esrgan tweaked... again someone ripped others works (found about 4 "AI upscale neurotal... uspcale" and all was a ripp of srgan or esrgan)
Here's my current method's results (use only ersgan + waifu for some prefilter).

Hard to tell witch is better, could you post full 4x uscaled and not smaller preview ?

FatedCourage:
I'm very impressed by this as well. It does an excellent job with FF7's fields. At least from what you posted, CaptRobau. I even tried this method on some of the FF8 fields and it seems to give some pretty great results. Great find and I hope to see this completed. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version