Author Topic: FF7 Soundfont - Which one is the best ?  (Read 8165 times)

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
FF7 Soundfont - Which one is the best ?
« on: 2004-03-18 20:42:23 »
I did a little browsing through the posts and I couldn't find a definite answer for this.  I did find a link to 2 soundfonts :

http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/somedude41/

but before installing them I just wanted to know which one worked best for most people : the one bundled with the game (ff7.sf2 and the choir one for the last song), the one from the first site, the one from the second site or another one I missed ?

I know this is a pretty subjective question but which one do you guys like the most ?

Also is there one with the orchetsrated version of Aerith's theme and Main World Theme that sounds good all throughout the game or not ?  I was just wondering.  I'm using win98se btw if that makes any difference since I read there seems to be some problems with ff7 soundfont and xp and I have a sb live! 5.1.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-18 22:51:48 »
Well, the one I made (ole, so long ago) is just for the game.....and it doesn't sound like the Playstation version....it kinda has it's unique sound. Orchestra sounding.  And I imagine it won't be an easy download...being Geocities was where I put it...and they have/had, all kinds of restrictions to work around to get the DL to work. And since then....I kinda forgot about it. I don't think I even remember the password for that account anymore.

If memory serves me correctly, I think TiadaghtonDude did the other Sfont that you have listed....and I think he tried to go with a Playstation Sounding Sfont.

And if you look around here...I think there is a patch that will play MP3's for the game. But I think it's incomplete. I don't remember who made it, I think it was Jari....but I can't remember. I've since lost interest in FF7PC, I guess buying a PS2 will do that.

For any SoundFont you use, I suggest not loading the lb2 soundfont until your in the final dungeon.

The lb2 soundfont is only for one song....guess which one. The choir of the Final Battle Song, won't be heard without it and it must be loaded last to work. Or you can only load it...but then all the songs prior to the final battle will be all messed up, if heard at all. Of course...if your using Win98SE, you don't have to worry about loading soundfonts. Win98 works with FF7PC real well, in loading them for you; but WinXP you have to load them manually, before you start the game.

I just noticed your using Win98...so, you don't have to worry about loading them manually. You just need to worry about configuring FF7config.exe correctly...I think my old website has directions for that.

Just make sure you have enough Soundfont memory reserved....or you'll just fool yourself that your listening to the modified soundfont, and not Creatives....Make sure it's empty, too or you will be listening to Creative's soundfont.

You can verify which Soundfont is loading by using the Test button, and then going to the Soundfont menu..... Be sure to empty the Soundfont memory after pushing the Test button....The test button will not remove Soundfonts automaticly, it seems to just keep loading them until the bank is full.

J*** H*******

« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-19 14:44:26 »
Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-19 16:28:27 »
I actually already have FF7music installed on my version of ff7 and i've got the mp3's and the psf (or whatever they're called).  It's just that it makes ff7 a bit more unstable than usual and it crashes a bit more often with it (still a great program though.  Plus I got a new sb live card and I know some people like it better with the right soundfont than with the mp3's so I wanted to try it out.  But I jus don't know what the "right" soundfont is (apart from the ones shipped with ff7 I mean).

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 2004-03-19 18:12:39 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen
Quote from: Threesixty
And if you look around here...I think there is a patch that will play MP3's for the game. But I think it's incomplete. I don't remember who made it, I think it was Jari....but I can't remember. I've since lost interest in FF7PC, I guess buying a PS2 will do that.

Ficedula, actually. :) You can get FF7Music from Fice's page. How well it works is one the 'your mileage may vary'-thingies, some people have had more problems with it than other people.

...although you're probably better getting the FFSF version at http://ffsf.cjb.net/ since I think it's possibly more recent than the version on my home page. Although I've got no idea how that happened... ;)

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-03-24 18:24:16 »
As I said earlier I already have ffmusic with mp3/psf setup (I have both) and it's a great program.  I was just looking at midi alternatives.

Exodus

« Reply #6 on: 2004-07-31 14:37:00 »
I'm using the 8MBGSFX E-mu Rev B 8MB Soundfont supplied with my SB Live. If anyone is interested in it, I would have no problem temporarily hosting it for some, although most SB Live!/Audigy users should have it, I would think.

It's very high quality, and IMO, produces overall better music than what is available on the PSX version. The songs are hit or miss though. Some are way better due to this, and a few are hurting in compasison to the PSX version.

To use it, go to control panel > Audio HQ. Select Soundfont. Make sure you have at least 8MB made available in your SoundFont Cache. Then, load the 8MB file (SB Live! also comes with a 2MB and 4MB, but with modern PCs, you should have more than enough RAM for this).

Now, check and see which device is set to be your Soundfont devise (for me, it's SB Live! SynthA).

In the FFVII config, select SB Live Synth A (or whatever your SoundFont device is) as the device, and then select General Midi as the driver. Selecting SoundFont as the driver causes an error, as it's redundant. Selecint SynthA + GM causes the game to use your 8MB SF.

If you want to test if it's working, simply open the FF7 config, and your SoundFont section of Audio HQ. Change between the 2/4 and 8MB soundfonts and test the music. You'll notice dramatic differences in the test in the config alone.