Author Topic: Sempron 140/145 Unlockable Core  (Read 17496 times)

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
Sempron 140/145 Unlockable Core
« on: 2010-11-22 19:33:49 »
So I thought qhimm might be a good place to ask about this.

I was wondering if anyone owns one of these cheap Sempron 140s or 145s and whether or not you attempted/were able to unlock the other core.  I am not opposed to spending a few more bucks on a legitimate dual core but the success rate for stable unlocking on these appears to be fairly high.  I was also wondering if the 145 has anything to offer over the 140.  I'm not hardware illiterate, but I'm also not familiar with much of the new components out there.  Oh, I should mention I intend to stick it in a ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. 

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Sempron 140/145 Unlockable Core
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-22 20:12:29 »
Unlocking cores is a nice easy way for a great performance boost. It is basically just an option in the bios. As to if it will work well your mileage may vary. It depends if there are defects in the second core. Unfortunately I do not have any information on the percentage of CPU's with perfectly functional but disabled cores.

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-11-22 21:24:57 »
They also don't OC well.

Check out Overclock.net (not to rep other forums) things like this are their specialty

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-11-22 22:08:43 »
if you get a good chip, the 2nd core should perform almost just as well as a true dual core. On the other hand, sometimes activating the core results in poorer performance, and can wreak havoc with BSOD and random lockups.

So generally, its a toss up. IMHO, if you can manage to scrap together another $70 you will get a much better chip that won't need to be unlocked. I mean seriously, you can net a quad-core AMD for near $100 these days, no reason to handcuff yourself to a much inferior processor when the difference is $70.

Just my .2, I'm currently in the process of building an AMD rig, though im on the fence if i should wait till next summer when all the new chips are debuting.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-11-22 22:11:09 »
Werent you building an i7 rig?

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-11-22 22:38:06 »
Werent you building an i7 rig?

i was, but then i looked at the numbers and for nearly half the price yyou can get an AM3 system that performs at 90% of what the i7s do. I actually had most of my i7 system in the closet, but i ended up selling it for emergency funds.

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-11-22 23:22:52 »
Ah, I am in the process of building an i7 system. Most likely hexacore. Mucho bux though.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-11-23 00:10:27 »
Ah, I am in the process of building an i7 system. Most likely hexacore. Mucho bux though.
yes, i still dream of a hexacore...but not anytime soon.  we bought our first house in February and i am finding it very hard to build up any appreciable amount of money. I've settled on a nice home theater PC that will run on the AM3 platform , and costs less than $1500.

Though i am still waiting until Intel and AMD roll out their new architectures next year. Performance is looking good but now price points as of yet. Im kinda glad i put the breaks on my i7 system though, fear of a short life cycle for the 1366 is whats keeping me away right now.

Lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-11-23 00:13:44 »
Yeah, i normally build a system and when i need to upgrade the mobo cpu and usually ram go.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-11-23 00:44:22 »
Yeah, i normally build a system and when i need to upgrade the mobo cpu and usually ram go.

im trying to be judicial when i pick my next platform. My last desktop was an AMD socket 462, and it lasted my nearly 5 years before it was unable to play anything new. I will probably end up going with the AM3 platform for the theater PC, simply because once the new architecture is out prices should drop even lower. I'll be on the lookout for sub-$600 quad-core, SLI setups ;)

lee

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #10 on: 2010-11-23 12:12:47 »
personally i try not to buy intel , there stuff is just way to much money for its proformance above amd's chips, also they seam to make their sockets have short life spans, i currently have a quad core phenom II for about 2 years, as well as a first gen amd64 3700+ (in the 754 socket) that has been on nonstop for years now... i also have a collection of dead intel boards and procs (people keep bringin them over) but nothing seams to work at all, and you would think w/ about dozen boards and procs (all the same socket too) that one combo would work.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-11-23 18:26:56 »
Do not overclock your computer! That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard anybody dough!

(hard mode: watch the whole thing without throwing your monitor out of the Window)

Back on topic, what power supply do you have and what cooling do you have? You probably already know this, but heat and power usage increase dramatically when you OC and you don't want to overclock your processor and get a fireworks display because your fan wasn't strong enough or your power supply wasn't up to the job.

In any case, I think you're better off upgrading. It isn't worth messing around with such an outdated processor when you could buy something vastly superior for a low price. OCing a mono-core Sempron is a lot like polishing the proverbial turd: you're making it better, but it's still sh*t.

personally i try not to buy intel , there stuff is just way to much money for its proformance above amd's chips

i looked at the numbers and for nearly half the price yyou can get an AM3 system that performs at 90% of what the i7s do.

Let's make a distinction here between value for money and price/performance ratio. A lot of people talk about them as if they were the same thing, but they are very different.

Imagine someone makes the best processor in the world, better than the ones they have in supercomputers, and sells it for $1000. The price/performance ratio would be amazing; it would be far better than that of any other processor on the market. But it would still be bad value for money for most people. Why? Because most people don't need much processing power. For them, this processor would be no more useful than a C2D and a lot more expensive.

This is the difference between Intel's mid-high processors and AMD's. i7s blow Phenom IIs out of the water. So do i5s and even some higher-end Core2s. Their price/performance ratio isn't that bad. However, 99% of people don't need anywhere near half the power that you can get from the lower-end i7s, so they're not necessarily good value for money. Pyrozen, you said that AMD's processors will do 90% of what the i7 will do. That isn't true. What is true is that unless you decide to start doing heavy work on your PC (playing Crysis is not heavy work :P) then the benefits of an i7 won't be worth the cost.

AMD and Intel are both roughly equal value for money when one disregards the extreme ends of the spectrum. The difference is that Intel caters to the higher end whereas AMD caters to the average Joe. Intel is what Macfags think Apple is: high performance at an appropriate price.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-11-23 19:36:51 »
This is the difference between Intel's mid-high processors and AMD's. i7s blow Phenom IIs out of the water. So do i5s and even some higher-end Core2s. Their price/performance ratio isn't that bad. However, 99% of people don't need anywhere near half the power that you can get from the lower-end i7s, so they're not necessarily good value for money. Pyrozen, you said that AMD's processors will do 90% of what the i7 will do. That isn't true. What is true is that unless you decide to start doing heavy work on your PC (playing Crysis is not heavy work :P) then the benefits of an i7 won't be worth the cost.

well done, i should have elaborated on it a little bit more, but you explained it very nicely. As far as gaming or even a multimedia PC are concerned, all but the most powerful users will not fully utilize the i7 processors. But what i do like about the newer AMDs is that they have more PCIe bandwidth, which the i7 does not ATM. i7 mobos end up splitting the SATA and PCIe slot bandwith, and alot of times you will lose x16 on a PCIe slot if you have a SATA drive hooked up. This may have changed with the newest i7 mobos, but last i read it had not.

Though once again, most people will never realize these issues except from benchmark numbers. And with uber-powerful SLI available in single-slot PCIe format, discreet SLI or Crossfire is something most people don't need to bother with either unless they demand the utmost resolution and details.

And skip the proc you picked and go bigger, you'll be happy when your not upgrading it again in 6 months.

lee

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #13 on: 2010-11-23 22:31:39 »
i didn't know i had to elabrate on an opinion....

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-11-23 22:45:39 »
i didn't know i had to elabrate on an opinion....

We are sorry, we will inform you next time.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #15 on: 2010-12-02 19:26:07 »
Well to answer my own question, I recieved and unlocked the second core.  AMD Motherboard with a 710 or 750 (idk what that means) Southbridge is all it takes, along with a bit of luck I suppose.  $35 gets a Dual Core Athlon X2 Regor @ 2.7Ghz if you buy this Sempron 140 and unlock it.  Obviously this isn't the best cpu available, but considering I was working with a limited budget, it looks like this is the best option.