Author Topic: Battle Environments  (Read 12277 times)

Terra

• View Profile
Battle Environments
« on: 2007-05-25 00:57:10 »
I was just wondering, as a newb of course, if it would be possible for battle environments to be completely remade?

I'm not asking if it's feesable, of course it's not, I'm asking if it's possible.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Battle Environments
« Reply #1 on: 2007-05-25 01:04:46 »
Anything is possible. The real question is can we even load them right now. It would be cool to at least load the battle scenes in Q-Gears.

Terra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-05-26 09:13:56 »
oh haha well progress is coming along nicely. I guess it's just a matter of building the whole thing up. This project is really interesting.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-05-26 16:18:52 »
The battle system has it's own unique engine as far as I know.
Akari is working on the field engine.  That indicates too me battle scenes will be a bit.
The PS1 scene format model and animation information is mostly known.  Battle engine mechanics are known.  The script system is the biggest mystery at the moment.

Cyb

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-05-26 18:58:33 »
The battle system has it's own unique engine as far as I know.
Akari is working on the field engine.  That indicates too me battle scenes will be a bit.
The PS1 scene format model and animation information is mostly known.  Battle engine mechanics are known.  The script system is the biggest mystery at the moment.

Cyb

Scrips known as well. Magic and summon is the only thing left, I think.

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007-05-27 01:39:11 »
if q-gears could load battle scenes wouldn't it be possible to make it a fully active battle system ala-star ocean styles

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-05-27 10:32:02 »
if q-gears could load battle scenes wouldn't it be possible to make it a fully active battle system ala-star ocean styles
Loading a battle background is only a tiny part of the battle system, and a fully active battle system would require a completely different engine on top of that. You could do it, of course, but it would be so much work and so many differences that you might as well write a completely new engine separately.

Terra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-05-27 16:35:02 »
Loading a battle background is only a tiny part of the battle system, and a fully active battle system would require a completely different engine on top of that. You could do it, of course, but it would be so much work and so many differences that you might as well write a completely new engine separately.

Well this is what I meant. If the battle scenes were working, then I think it would be interesting to mess around with the battle backgrounds and see where it gets us.

But perhaps the engine(s) that are currently being worked on should be done before the battle engine is considered then. I wish I could contribute something on that side of things.
« Last Edit: 2007-05-27 16:39:57 by Terra »

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-05-27 18:31:59 »

Well this is what I meant. If the battle scenes were working, then I think it would be interesting to mess around with the battle backgrounds and see where it gets us.

But perhaps the engine(s) that are currently being worked on should be done before the battle engine is considered then. I wish I could contribute something on that side of things.
If you're just interested in playing around with the battle-backgrounds you could try the stand-alone viewing code I posted here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=3152.0

gigaherz

• View Profile
    • gigaherz's shitty stuff
« Reply #9 on: 2007-05-28 20:50:51 »
Okay, it was hard-ish, but I managed to build the scene viewer with vs2005 and glut32... the biggest problem was the open() call needed O_BINARY.
And also my card seems to have problems with single-buffer drawing, so I had to chagne it to double-buffered. :p

So in case anyone wants it: http://www.uploading.com/files/6YH8EF4Y/StageView.rar.html

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 2007-05-29 13:59:57 »
"This program failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect"

Didn't work :(

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007-05-29 17:33:06 »

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007-05-30 04:05:22 »
Silly question why did you not compile to a binary instead of a managed executable?  You can last I checked and this does make a BIG binary file but I really don't find having to install the insepid .NET framework and library files particularly .. fun.  I did it once. That's why I have changed all my programs to compile without run time libraries instead of 30 different DLL's and support libraries.

Cyb

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #13 on: 2007-05-30 09:59:36 »
I was just wondering, as a newb of course, if it would be possible for battle environments to be completely remade?
In my opinion it is absolutely possible, as battle locations are textured models just like any other. Each location is a group of single 3D files in .P format with textures.

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007-05-30 11:24:57 »
Silly question why did you not compile to a binary instead of a managed executable?  You can last I checked and this does make a BIG binary file but I really don't find having to install the insepid .NET framework and library files particularly .. fun.  I did it once. That's why I have changed all my programs to compile without run time libraries instead of 30 different DLL's and support libraries.

Cyb

It's a native program, not managed at all. and you don't need the framework to run it, only The VC++ runtime libraries (microsoft made the libs incompatible for some reason).

I could have built it using static libraries, but as you said, the executable is too big, and the vc runtime is only a small (<3mb) download you only do once.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007-05-30 12:09:25 »
It's a native program, not managed at all. and you don't need the framework to run it, only The VC++ runtime libraries (microsoft made the libs incompatible for some reason).

I could have built it using static libraries, but as you said, the executable is too big, and the vc runtime is only a small (<3mb) download you only do once.

I guess I was vainly hoping. :D   I wonder why microsoft's libs are so .. huge? I think they've been expanding things to fill hard disk space.   Oh well.

gigaherz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007-05-30 19:22:55 »
I got home and tried and the statically linked runtime only makes it grow from 14k to 104k... o_O I suppose they improved the linker since the last time I tried.

http://www.uploading.com/files/4SEB5810/StageView.rar.html