Author Topic: Elder Scrolls: Skyrim  (Read 16918 times)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
« on: 2011-01-17 23:32:50 »
so the new Elder Scrolls game, titled Skyrim, was announced not to long ago, and involves some new systems, including the long awaited ability to dual wield (as well as dual cast, or so i've read). unfortunately it won't be released till november, but its nice to finally see a new one, i loved oblivion (hated Morrowind personally) and this one sounds to be just as good, if not better.

so, whats your thoughts?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-18 02:10:43 »
so the new Elder Scrolls game, titled Skyrim, was announced not to long ago, and involves some new systems, including the long awaited ability to dual wield (as well as dual cast, or so i've read). unfortunately it won't be released till november, but its nice to finally see a new one, i loved oblivion (hated Morrowind personally) and this one sounds to be just as good, if not better.

so, whats your thoughts?

I'm surprised you hated Morrowind even once loving Oblivion. There's actually more to do in Morrowind...

Anyway, I'm glad there are finally going to be dragons! LBP2 comes out tomorrow and will keep me busy for a while, but I'm looking forward to Skyrim and seeing what happens to those Nords.

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-18 02:26:28 »
Did you play PC or XBOX for Morrowind and Oblivion?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-18 02:43:47 »

I played PC, which I DO think is superior to the XBOX versions of both ES3 and ES4.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-18 09:36:51 »
I'm planning on purchasing a new GPU specifically for this release :)
Super excited!

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-18 12:10:33 »
im just hoping the skyrim will work under wine, since idk if by then i will have a ps3 , and the pc versions are almost always better. and if you count the mods they are way better.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-18 15:28:40 »

xbox for both, one thing i hated was the whole "chances to miss" thing in morrowind, where it did a check to see if i hit, even if i was right up in the enemies face, that turned me off it.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-18 15:41:52 »
im just hoping the skyrim will work under wine, since idk if by then i will have a ps3 , and the pc versions are almost always better. and if you count the mods they are way better.

Highly possible, unless they changed their core engine. Every Elder scrolls/Fallout game so far have been working just fine after few days of their release, or out of the box.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-18 20:58:49 »
xbox for both, one thing i hated was the whole "chances to miss" thing in morrowind, where it did a check to see if i hit, even if i was right up in the enemies face, that turned me off it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that...that was retarded, wasn't it?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-18 22:11:43 »

i definately felt it was, where as in oblivion, it was easy to miss if you were trying to avoid getting hit, it felt easier yet more real, at least it did to me. i also had trouble in caves due to my color blindeness, i couldn't see a bloody thing.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-19 02:15:42 »
Highly possible, unless they changed their core engine. Every Elder scrolls/Fallout game so far have been working just fine after few days of their release, or out of the box.

It's running on a brand new engine. Bethesda's own, actually. Funny, they haven't made their own engine since Xngine way back in the 90s - which they used to power Daggerfall (mostly what it's known for), Battlespire, Redguard, and the Terminator games. I miss those terminator games, they had drivable vehicles that worked as well as the ones in games today.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-19 02:17:15 by bloodshot »

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-19 02:41:55 »
I have a feeling it will be a little buggy at first. But I think It'll clean up nice. I'm curious to see how Havok Behavior works with the new engine. I'm really hoping for better animations win all of the actions. I really have high expectations for this game. I think Bethesda realizes the amount of weight this game carries. It's nice to see that their putting in the effort to this one. I'm hyped for the new foliage system too. I'm tired of that same Morrowind foliage system (beautiful as it is).

I have a feeling this game will be a small revolution. I'll raise my cup to Bethesda now, because I really feel like the effort is being put in the right direction on this game.

Cloudef

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-19 16:10:10 »
It's running on a brand new engine. Bethesda's own, actually. Funny, they haven't made their own engine since Xngine way back in the 90s - which they used to power Daggerfall (mostly what it's known for), Battlespire, Redguard, and the Terminator games. I miss those terminator games, they had drivable vehicles that worked as well as the ones in games today.

That's good and bad thing as well. I never liked the engine they used for Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas anyways <_<
Bad thing is that it may take some time to work under wine perhaps. We'll see.

The Skyrim looks interesting at least, I like how they used the Morrowind's theme on their trailer, and I really hope there is good story this time. I've never really liked any Elder scrolls, and get bored quite fast. However this sparked new interest in me.

I don't really play anything either(excluding some arcade/indie/doujin games) nowadays so that could also be cause, or games are just getting boring. Who knows?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-19 21:13:46 »
I have a feeling it will be a little buggy at first. But I think It'll clean up nice. I'm curious to see how Havok Behavior works with the new engine. I'm really hoping for better animations win all of the actions. I really have high expectations for this game. I think Bethesda realizes the amount of weight this game carries. It's nice to see that their putting in the effort to this one. I'm hyped for the new foliage system too. I'm tired of that same Morrowind foliage system (beautiful as it is).

I have a feeling this game will be a small revolution. I'll raise my cup to Bethesda now, because I really feel like the effort is being put in the right direction on this game.

i to am really curious on there new engine, i'm glad though, i love oblivions engine but its showing its age, this new one sounds pretty good from what i've read, hopefully they'll edit melee combat to be different then the "quickly hit the attack button and jump away" styling

(by the way, i've been meaning to say this but, Yu Yu Hakusho rules man)

Shankifer

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: 2011-01-19 21:30:57 »
I read a really in depth review today that blew my mind. I'm also kind of pissed that some reviewers believe Bethesda has lost their interest in TES series. I mean really? Have they seen how far its come due to the dedication of Bethesda? I do agree that they found a ridiculously plump cash cow with Fallout 3, but Elder Scrolls will outlive Fallout by a long shot. Bethesda has done nothing but (surprisingly) listen to their fans. Oblivion was a great game, but a bit of a disappointment (for console gamers especially) in the end, very anti-climatic "ending". The NPCs that just stand around or move back and forth. Now, these NPCs have functions and roles in their cyber-society. The NPC's also have tons of new dialogue and reactions. The AI in this game is sounding to be revolutionary. Don't forget the fact that they are keeping the modding tools available for people who would like to add quests of their own or download from others. The animations with Havok technologies are seemingly impressive. I've done some research and watched a lot of Havok animation, it's top of the line. Its beautifully fluid. To the biggest hurdle Bethesda has claimed to overtake though: The landscape and lighting. We're supposed to be seeing fully dynamic lighting plus high detail distance textures. It is rumored that the foliage is supposed to be very lifelike, and I've heard a more specific rumor that we could be seeing 3D brush and bramble (instead of the combination of tons of 2D models) for the first time in TES series.

This game is carrying a lot of weight. I do agree that the story doesn't seem too enticing, although we could be surprised. Above all else though I believe that the game-play will be phenomenal.

(Thanks, Yu Yu Hakusho does rule  :-D )

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-01-22 21:03:14 »
Arena was the only game that featured the full world but in a 2.5D engine.
Daggerfall calls its data directory arena2\
For Morrowind modders are recreating the whole missing province based on lore in 6 seperate maps since 2002.

Are the TES phone games recommendable?

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-01-26 08:08:22 »
I want to say, 'stay away from official forum for now'.  It's almost filled with 'meaningless polls'........ 8-)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #17 on: 2011-01-26 16:39:21 »
i thinkt he game will be great just as long as we have an improved melee system maybe (I say maybe, as i'm not sure how it would work and i don't know if it would be a good idea or not) something to do with online play, weapon models for special weapons that are *NOT* the exact same as normal weapons (AKA i don't wanna see an uber legendary awesome weapon that uses the exact same model as a glass longsword.

horse combat this time around i think would be rather essential, i often found myself having to get off the horse just to stop myself from dieing from arrows or a raging bandit lunatic in Oblivion.

a better lighting system, to me, Oblivion and Morrowind were always to bright or to dark, i couldn't stand constantly having to change the brightness whenever i entered and/or left a dungeon/cave/whatever.

add more to the thieving side of the game, stealing was way to easy in oblivion.

finally, fighting stances and such, i never used two-handed weapons in morrowind nor oblivion for a simple reason. the fighting with them sucked. the character looked like he was trying to play baseball, not combat the forces of evil/good.

also, since the game is set in skyrim, i wonder how, or if, they're going to incorporate the usage of other races besides nords into it. from what i read of the storyline it seems to me you'd be forced to choose a nord for the game to make any sense at all, anyone know anything about this?

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #18 on: 2011-01-26 21:24:21 »
add more to the thieving side of the game, stealing was way to easy in oblivion.

So was lockpicking, but it was WAY more realistic in Oblivion. You actually PICKED the lock. So maybe some thieving would involve getting your hand in a particular part of a pocket. Also, the victim's clothing should play a role in how hard they are to pick. I should be able to pick someone with plain clothes MUCH easier than someone with armor.

also, since the game is set in skyrim, i wonder how, or if, they're going to incorporate the usage of other races besides nords into it. from what i read of the storyline it seems to me you'd be forced to choose a nord for the game to make any sense at all, anyone know anything about this?

I think your character is last of the "Dragonborn" and have nothing really explicitly to do with the Nords except it's about Alduin and takes place in Skyrim. I guess it wouldn't be out-of-canon for an Argonian to be the Dragonborn any more than a Khajiit being the Nerevarine.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #19 on: 2011-01-26 22:23:13 »
i should also add that i think we'll need bigger consequences other then a slight xp drop for lowering difficulty

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-01-27 08:18:25 »
I didn't play Morrowind, but i spent ages playing Oblivion, also because there's a large community that builds very interesting mods (but they don't restyle the game itself, like you did :D). I think that it's only flaw it's the missing dual wield combat, and it's a great news to hear that it will be implemented. Here it is an exclusive E3 footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeUc29eSDwg

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #23 on: 2011-01-28 01:56:18 »
*gets me a longsword of shock* i'm going rickroller huntin

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #24 on: 2011-02-02 21:14:36 »

I always just used the soultrap glitch to "patch up" those annoying inconsistencies.  I thought Morrowind was great and probably enjoyed it more than Oblivion...but Morrowind on Oblivion's engine would have been sweet (forgive me if someone actually did this, I've heard rumors). 

I dont kno if others experience this, but if you choose to keep your character balanced or give them an eclectic set of skills they always seem to suck compared to specialized characters.  I guess this is kind of a rule in many RPGs, but it would be nice to have an acrobatic, fireball shooting character wearing medium armor carrying an axe (maybe or maybe not, but just as an example).
It would be nce to be able to have a balanced character that didn't just die in the face of high powered mages or club wielding ogres.  I always found myself jumping onto the highest rock and attacking from a distance in Oblivion unless I specialized my character.