Author Topic: No mods work/game conversion failure?  (Read 8176 times)

Limsleia

• View Profile
No mods work/game conversion failure?
« on: 2016-02-11 02:07:25 »
Hello.  SO im working with the steam version. I got alll the mods i wanted to download. FOllowed the guide step by step although it seems there is a need for a seperate steam/1997 version of the guide. BUt anyways. I plugged in a flash drive and reformatted it naming it ff7disc1 just like it said. THe next step with the ff7 converter gives me an error. Drive letter for ff7disc1 --- d:\ the system cannot find the file specified.  WHat fille is it llooking for?  SO then after that it continues with ff7 config files and the keyboard patch questions like you would expect. DId that spent the hours downloading the mods and activating and configuring them and followed the picture of the order although a few were missing from the picture so i put them at the bottom of the lload order.  THe game launches plays and nothing is different. No mods are working at all.

Limsleia

• View Profile
Re: No mods work/game conversion failure?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-02-11 02:15:41 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-11 03:38:22 »
Workshop -> Settings -> FF7 Exe

Use ff7.exe, not ff7_en.exe.

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-02-11 04:04:48 »
There is no ff7.exe its ff7_en and ff7_launcher

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-11 04:28:06 »
ff7.exe comes with the game and is patched with the Game Converter. Don't know what to say if you're missing it.

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-11 04:42:28 »
Im really at a loss with that response...i bought this game specificly to try this program. You dont have any ideas at all? IS there a way i can manually installl the mods?
« Last Edit: 2016-02-11 04:44:32 by Limsleia »

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-02-11 16:30:53 »
Im digging a llittle more.  I havent seen anything even similarlly related to what ive got going on.  THere was no aali folder so i downloaded that mod and dumped it into the ff7 folder. No changes. So we are back at square one. THis whole thing wont work because theres no ff7 exe? Ive got v1.09 of the game. I do not know what else to try.

Yuffie1983

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-02-11 18:00:35 »
Im digging a llittle more.  I havent seen anything even similarlly related to what ive got going on.  THere was no aali folder so i downloaded that mod and dumped it into the ff7 folder. No changes. So we are back at square one. THis whole thing wont work because theres no ff7 exe? Ive got v1.09 of the game. I do not know what else to try.

Did you run game converter with admin rights?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-02-11 18:23:33 »
7H doesn't work out of the box with FF7 Steam; you need to run a program called Game Converter that'll take the Steam installation and then restructure it into something based on a 1998 installation; remember to unblock/run as admin in the GameConverter's Properties before running. Once that's done, 7H will be able to correctly patch the game once some other settings like the Catalog are set up: Follow this from Step 1 onwards http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0

It might be a good idea to uninstall everything beforehand as well, and reinstall FF7 Steam to a different directory (I think I installed mine directly onto the C Drive, rather than in Program Files (x86) which can obstruct 7H from applying mods due to the write protection of those folders).
« Last Edit: 2016-02-11 18:25:56 by Sega Chief »

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-11 18:32:55 »
HI, thanks for the response.   My problem llies in patching the ff7 steam version with the converter program. IT is not converting. It says a file is missing. I posted a picture of the converter window you should be able to see the error its giving.  ANd i did run it as an admin.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-02-13 09:35:53 »

v1.09 is the Steam launcher, which is from launching ff7_en.exe, but we're worried about ff7.exe. Perhaps you can go to your Steam Library and right-click the game, then choose Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache...That should redownload any missing files.

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-02-14 18:24:59 »
Alyza i uninstalled it and am going to try fresh. I remember in your older guide for the bootleg version you recommended cleaning registry files and some other steps. DOes that apply to the steam version?

Nevermind...found it in the faq's.  However the key remover on google drive is saying it is infected with a virus and will not allow me to download.

FOund one by a user calleld Kompass that ones mirror's are stilll working. Hopefullyl its not an older version. Man what a headache but i know this game is so worth it.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-14 18:29:27 by Limsleia »

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-02-15 07:18:25 »
Last post just updating that everything is working now. THe fault lied somewhere in the conversion process the first time i tried. It wasnt finding my exe and converting it.  One other thing to note some sort of small bug with the downloader. They would freeze and id right click and cancel it would verify up to the point it stopped and resume again. Something worth llooking into. Thanks for the help and support.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2016-02-15 09:11:47 »
It's meant to verify and resume where it left off. It's just not worded perfectly since I don't make the tool. That's all on Iros, but I'd personally have it changed from "Cancel" to something like "Restart and Resume"

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2016-02-15 22:12:35 »
OK...nevermind. It was working perfectly last night. HAve not done or changed anything now its asking  for ff7 disc 1-3when i hit launch games...what happned?

Limsleia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-02-15 22:26:15 »
Oh and dont use the save anywhere cheat while your on a ladder...weird funny glitches. CLoud was strafing sideways making the motion like he was still on the latter. Too funny. FOund out hte issue though. I had both the usb renamed to ff7disc1 and the iso you provided but the registry is refusing to read my usb drive. Just gonna go with the iso. All is well.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2016-02-16 05:03:17 »
FF7DISC1 can only be set to one drive letter, and its whichever one that is read when you run the game converter. After that, you always have to run with FF7DISC1 set to that drive letter OR you change to a different drive letter and run the game converter again. Choose the Overwrite option, and it will then identify FF7DISC1 with the new drive letter in the registry.

Mitroman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2016-02-21 05:51:38 »
hello sorry to bother you but i just want to ask something, Can the mod path destination be changed like from C to F external hard drive and does the game have to be installed on the same drive as windows because ive been having some problems and haven't been able to get 7th heaven to work, i could post the error and are the IROs suppose to be scattered around the directory after you download the files, i'm terribly sorry to bother you on this but i've been stuck for ages and wondering what i'm doing wrong and if the places are set, if you could get back to me on this i would be extremely grateful, best regards.

Mitroman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2016-02-22 13:54:49 »
Problem has been i've been trying to convert the game on a portable hard drive and the converter needs windows for the registry keys to copy over, just says copying registry keys.... but nothing else, don't think there's any way around it so it looks like i'm gonna have to wait until i get my PC with plenty of hard disk space on a solid state drive because i believe that's how the mod path works, took me a while to figure out but just in case anyone doesn't know that's why i'm writing this message and to apologize for wasting people's time on this site, thanks all.