Author Topic: Menu Reconstruction [WIP]  (Read 78612 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Menu Reconstruction [WIP]
« Reply #100 on: 2010-07-21 22:17:51 »
RELEASE BETA 2 - NOW NEED TESTERS

This is now considered pretty much finished.  There are some things I will be tweaking and altering in the coming days and obviously once all this is done and we are happy, I will begin work on adapting it for the normal game.

Remember this still has the re-translations in it, and you should always backup ff7.exe  before applying.  I would appreciate it if EVERYONE who is interested in this project installs it regardless of the re-translations, and that you offer constructive criticisms.  Some of these "problems" I will no doubt know about.  TRY to be logical about this, don't find something completely small and irrelevant which will not make any difference at all to the quality of what we visually perceive as "Good"

Do not say "It sucks there" or "Maybe change x"  Upload a screen shot and point out what needs changing or what you are unhappy with and I will see what can be done.

FF7 Menu Reconstruction Beta 2

Note:  If there seems to be some serious issue with text or so forth, try applying the patch to the original 1.02 exe, as there may be an issue adding this to already modified exes (I think I corrected this issue but you never know).

« Last Edit: 2010-07-22 00:06:51 by seif »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2010-07-22 00:23:21 »
Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available.

Please check the address and try again.

I think your link has a problem.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2010-07-22 00:38:54 »
Works for me.... try it now.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1JH_wU1qqN4MmY5OGY0NjgtMGQyNC00ODE4LWE1MDgtNzk2YTEwNzMyZjAy&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

if that one doesn't work, perhaps something to do with me using exe... or maybe google docs has issue?
« Last Edit: 2010-07-22 03:50:57 by seif »

Miseru

• "Help! One of my main characters is black!" - xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2010-07-22 04:03:54 »
 Just to see the difference in game I did 2 screenshots to compare couse I wasn't really sure what's modded in here lol:O. Patched without problems even my heavily patched .exe, it gave a little more modern look, makes an illussion of being higher res / more clear, but in the end it's not a + for everyone. It seems a little less ff7, more ff8-like, maybe just couse I'm used to it, original seems better, but if I would starting new game after few months maybe it would be opposite as it doesn't seem to have any bugs and looks nice.

I would have a question through, is it possible to add new option to the existing menu? What I always felt lacking in menu wasn't nice graphic and stuff like that but one little option - load game. Probably everyone at least once felt like loading a game after doing something wrong close after save point, alt+f4 and re-run game only option to do that, soo maybe you guys know after playing with the menu soo much is it possible to add "continue" to game menu or at least replace a quit with load as I see it better to use alt+f4 to exit game than to exit, re-run and load(plus the game randomly ask me to exit if I use Q key, which is bad couse I map my keys on that side of keyboard).

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2010-07-22 10:29:45 »
It seems a little less ff7, more ff8-like, maybe just couse I'm used to it, original seems better

You know 99% of what this patch does is just fix alignment issues right?
I don't see how this effects the 'FF7 style' in any way.
I assume you are just talking about the Main Menu screen, that has been slightly redesigned.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2010-07-22 10:42:27 »
yup :)  this patch is a lot more than just the main menu.... it is every single menu :)

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2010-07-22 15:18:49 »
Hey Seif,

Take a look at these screens:

Original: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/SS-2010-07-23_00.19.40.png
Beta 2: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/SS-2010-07-23_00.20.04.png

On the original, the the AP and Next Level numbers are lined up fine with each other, however on Beta 2, they are not.

This is the only problem I could find! Really good work!

Other than that, the only thing I'm unhappy with, is something I have mentioned before: Equipment names not being in line with each other.
I would honestly rather have the abbreviations, it looks far too messy otherwise, to me anyway.

Please use Wpn. Pro. Acc.  or Weap. Prot. Accs., whatever aligns best. I reallly don't want to use the untranslated version lol.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2010-07-22 16:44:39 »
wpn. pro. and acc. dont really line up great to be honest....  the W is longer you see...like the A of arm.

Also, those AP values aren't lined up properly on the original.  Open it up in adobe and draw a line under it, and compare.  The shadows are equal on beta 2.  On beta 2 they are level.  You can see that if you look at it, the original is far higher.  It is because you are using dark blue background that it looks worse.  Try white.

I am addressing the line up issue when using Protect.

edit: actually looks slightly out on beta 2 aswell (on yours not mine).  Upload me another in white background with the full screen shot.

Also, tell me if there is any difference when you apply the patch to original 1.02
« Last Edit: 2010-07-22 16:49:02 by seif »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2010-07-22 18:16:16 »
Also, those AP values aren't lined up properly on the original.  Open it up in adobe and draw a line under it, and compare.  The shadows are equal on beta 2.  On beta 2 they are level.  You can see that if you look at it, the original is far higher.  It is because you are using dark blue background that it looks worse.  Try white.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying, these screenshots should show what I mean:

Original 1.02: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/ff7102_2010-07-23%2003-45-57-82.png
Beta 2 1.02: http://justincoutts.com/files/ss/ff7102beta2_2010-07-23%2003-53-22-19.png

See the original is fine, but on Beta 2, the 9 is nowhere near the red line.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2010-07-22 18:34:57 »
I have no idea how that has happened....  But nice spot :)!  I will check mine again and see....

ha, you are completely right :)  It is because all my materia is mastered that I never spotted it on the tests (i used another save the first few times).  The shop menu sell will probably have same issue.  Added to correction list.
« Last Edit: 2010-07-22 18:41:55 by seif »

cloud valentine

« Reply #110 on: 2010-07-23 07:03:34 »
is this working in pc?

Lilmookman

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2010-07-23 07:55:14 »
Valentine, these projects for FF7 on the whole Qhimm forum is for pc. A legit copy of FF7 of course. So to answer your question...yes.

Try out the beta 2 version. I think it looks great compared to the original. Its more arranged and aligned. I haven't experienced any bugs yet besides the ones already spotted but will report if i do...Thanks Seif :)

cloud valentine

« Reply #112 on: 2010-07-23 13:42:52 »
ok must try this

Terid__K

« Reply #113 on: 2010-07-23 21:47:30 »
Just a quick question not related to the mod... seif, what settings are you using on your menu colors (R-G-B)? It looks AC style and I like it.

BTW, I'll apply this once it's finished.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2010-07-23 22:20:24 »
You mean the grey background?  I just randomely chose some grey values

set all corners to 60 RGB

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2010-07-24 08:35:48 »
Hummm...  I'll try and get a picture of it, but I don't know if it was intentional or not.  The hand on the key items word is a bit...  Off/out of place compared to where the hand is placed before Items and Organize.

EDIT:  Oh, btw the hand goes to the right spot sorta when you select the key items.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2010-07-24 09:00:10 »
Yes that's impossible to fix sadly.  The ghost hand can be placed there manually but the normal cursor works by distance.  When using the word "Arrange" it fits ok, but that makes the words look awful.  The tradeoff is that hand not lining up....

You can see the word "Key Item" should be placed more to the right than it is too, but then the cursor looks worse.  This is just one of those things that has to be accepted. 
« Last Edit: 2010-07-24 09:02:04 by seif »

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2010-07-24 09:08:24 »
Haha, yeah it's not really game breaking. Other than that little stupid smidget of frustration, this is looking VERY awesome.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2010-07-24 09:13:27 »
I will look into it again anyway and see if I can make it look a tad better.  Tonight I noticed a lot of problems with this mod, very small things which need fixing :P  But 95% of it is done :)

Clodus

• Just a lowly fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2010-07-24 09:25:04 »
Haha, don't let my little comment about that change anything for the worse. But, yeah I'm still trying to find a flaw and because of it, I'm still practically doing the bomb mission.

parasanity20

« Reply #120 on: 2010-07-25 21:06:21 »
  I was wondering if you noticed that setting Aali's ff7_opengl.cfg 'break_9999limit = yes' causes overlapping text in 'Equip' 'Status'...and possibly other oddities. It looks to me like break_9999limit just literally pushes things around in the menu in a rather aggresive way to make room for more numbers, however I know nothing of how any of these programming codes work so...

To be honest I'm just turning break_9999limit to 'off' cause I prefer having your work, and it makes the game more challenging having caps anyway. Kinda curious if there might eventually be compatability between the two somehow though.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2010-07-25 21:13:38 »
The 9999 patch is a known problem.  The changes don't seem to be THAT bad from what I remember but they do affect this patch. 

Hopefully Aali will have a look at this and see if he can make it work with this menu construction patch better.  If not, I may at some point go into the 9999 patch and correct it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2010-08-01 10:28:25 »
RELEASE BETA 3 - LAST CHANCE TESTERS

FF7 Menu Reconstruction Beta 3

As always back-up ff7.exe.

This is the last beta.  The next release will be the main release for this project and barring major updates from any large mistakes, this will be the final look for BOTH mods. (obviously the non translated version will retain original text)

So, if you are interested in this project for EITHER of the versions, you should download this and give serious feedback because this is your LAST CHANCE.

This beta is 95% what I would call "Finished".  Aside from feedback and numerous small tweaks which most of you won't even notice, this is done.

Just completed is the character naming screen, seen below.  Please see post 1 for the progress report.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6206/correctednaming.png

[photobucket resizes this, can anyone recommend another good free photo sharer? ]

« Last Edit: 2010-08-01 10:52:54 by seif »

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2010-08-02 06:22:01 »
I really can't find any problems with this. :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2010-08-02 06:26:38 »
Well there are a few :P  the main one we cannot fix...  the equip menu, I would like to alter the weapon, protect, accessory words but there are no values for them, they have to be moved as one.  That's the biggest, the others are very small gripes :P

Glad you enjoy it though!