Author Topic: [FF7] Original and Outdated Tutorial - Bootleg Configurator  (Read 1836070 times)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Bootleg Configurator and FF7 Mod Installation
« Reply #2351 on: 2013-01-09 12:13:42 »
I used Bootleg for the first time and it worked like a charm  :)

But I have a small question about the "Translation"-thingy.
First of all, my current Game Script seems a lil' bit weird (f.e. Phoenix-Down in the menus but called "Phoenix-Tail" - WTF? - in the games "engine" (hard to describe).
Does someone has an idea, where this is from? :(
And why is there "English" in the drop down menu - isn't it plain standard? Or is there a difference.
That happened because you checked the box retranslation project

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: 2013-01-09 17:29:47 »
in Bootleg.bat

I am wondering how you got a hand on the Bootleg.bat process. While there is a way to get it, very few people know about it (PitBrat, EQ2Alyza, brynjar and myself) although if you find it, you deserve my respect ;)

I personally don't know what might be causing the issue, but can you install it solely without Bootleg?

miracle.flame

• ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: 2013-01-10 00:40:21 »
I wanted to say thanks for the tip Pitbrat about AV but it was not the casue, AV was disabled in the first place... the mistake was on my side as my audio files had date tampered and that apparently was the cause.. patch failed to recognise audio files.

Apart from that I really wanted to thank you for this amazing piece of work...you surely became a little god for helping thousands of users remake their ff7 in few easy steps.

I have tried to use User Custom models in process of installation and I apparently failed at this attempt.. here's my progress:
Mods\BootlegCustomModels\Battle\Battle.lgp\ <- here I've put some of my battle model files
Mods\BootlegCustomModels\Field\Char.lgp\ <- here I've put some of my filed model files
Mods\ is the location of BFE.exe, Bootleg.exe and all downloaded mods in original file form.
I've ticked the option Install User Models From Custom Folders

Yet in the final process my files were apparently omitted as they do not show up in game. Did I go somewhere wrong? Of course I did.. but where?

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: 2013-01-10 01:04:32 »
Mods\BootlegCustomModels\Battle\Battle.lgp\ <- here I've put some of my battle model files
Mods\BootlegCustomModels\Field\Char.lgp\ <- here I've put some of my filed model files

There are no sub-folders within .\Battle\ or .\Field\
Copy the battle model files into .\BootlegCustomModels\Battle\
Copy the field model files into .\BootlegCustomModels\Field\

I've made some significant advancements with the language conversion process.
It should actually work now!
I've also improved the way Bootleg translates the ReRelease.

I've also changed the ReRelease conversion so that it now preserves the new flevel data unless Menu Overhaul ReTranslation is installed.
The new flevel has a few fixes.

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: 2013-01-10 16:31:27 »
Polite request please could someone who has the nightmare ost part 3, upload to somthing like mediafire or rapidshare please deposit files is not working at all for me thank you in advanced.

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: 2013-01-10 23:48:04 »
Here you are:

Nightmare OST.part3.rar                         Tenko Kuugen    Nightmare Overhaul Soundtrack           Qhimm FILE

jdove

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: 2013-01-11 01:39:46 »
im sure this has been asked b4 somewhere else around here but is there a fix for the black border at the bottom of the screen in the fmv and field its not in the battle mode not sure about the world map looked and looked but all i concluded was there is no fix for it sorry if this question has been answered already.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: 2013-01-11 02:25:43 »
There is no true "fix" for the black borders. You can uncheck "Preserve Aspect" in Bootloader, but it will be somewhat of a stretched image.

The game was originally a 4:3 ratio (640x480), so that's why the black borders have to be there.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-11 02:28:31 by EQ2Alyza »

Sahloknir74

• View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: 2013-01-11 03:31:37 »
Hey guys, i'm having some difficulties with the mods, first, nothing in the Game or Overhaul tabs seems to change anything, also a lot of spells and limit breaks have very glitchy graphics. Can anyone help me figure out the problems? if any extra info is needed, just say so.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-11 04:24:10 by Sahloknir74 »

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: 2013-01-11 16:31:01 »
That happened because you checked the box retranslation project

Ah, thank you :)
Well, it's not that I'm not grateful for a Re-translation mod (btw: If you Americans thing your translation is bad... be glad you never had to play the german version ;)) but the names... this originally wrong translated names burned into my mind and I don't want to miss them :(
So, I ran the BFE.exe once more, this time with canon-names and canon-items unchecked.
Well... "Marlene" is still called Marin. So I'd like to ask if I have either
a) to run BFE once again, with Re-Translation completely unchecked
or
b) need to start a new game for the "old" names of the game.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: 2013-01-11 18:16:33 »
If you Americans thing your translation is bad... be glad you never had to play the german version ;)

True spoken...  :'(
The names for Item, magic, etc. are handled by the both kernels (and scene.bin for the battle magic of the enemy's,  if I remember right). The field texts are not effected by these,
BUT if you do a re-translation (or other text modifications), you have to change the kernels. Because if you change an Item name in field, then you have to change the name in the kernel as well or you got to names for one Item.
For example: if you find an Item called 'BIG-FAT-TWOHANDER'1 and look then in the menu you can't find it, only 'Shortsword' is new. That's what happen if you not synchronize flevel and kernel.
1 It is only text in a window, there is no information about an item.
That's why I would love to use toughSkript, with it I could easily patch my flevel.lgp and make compatible to the default names.

To your question: a savegame works normally with any setting.
My question:
Retranslation completely unchecked? Isn't it enough to uncheck only the canon names?

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: 2013-01-11 18:29:40 »
Canon means original so you should have checked the canon boxes lol  to keep the original item and character names for me i just ticked the canon items, the battles are much more harder when in battle going through your item list and having to read the effect of each to see if that one is antidote or something xD Love the retranslation though especially the minor bit of when you pick up an item the text will be green or picking up a summon materia and it's red
edit:
actually i forgot if canon actually meant original can't remember if i checked it or not im sure in bootleg software if you hover your mouse on top of it it will say a description of what it is.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-11 18:32:03 by e1sunz »

tifalockheart1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: 2013-01-11 18:30:01 »
Here you are:

Nightmare OST.part3.rar                         Tenko Kuugen    Nightmare Overhaul Soundtrack           Qhimm FILE

Thanks pit but it is still depositfiles it does not work at all for me looking for rapidshare or mediafire or even dropbox, with deposit files I get no screen come up at all for the site.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: 2013-01-11 18:35:06 »
touphScript works only with English files, and not always the right :evil:
I'll try to write a Scipt, so you can use the English EXE with German files.
DLPB's Game Converter works not with the rerelease...

Luceid

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: 2013-01-11 20:06:34 »
For example: if you find an Item called 'BIG-FAT-TWOHANDER'1 and look then in the menu you can't find it, only 'Shortsword' is new. That's what happen if you not synchronize flevel and kernel.
1 It is only text in a window, there is no information about an item.
That's why I would love to use toughSkript, with it I could easily patch my flevel.lgp and make compatible to the default names.

To your question: a savegame works normally with any setting.
My question:
Retranslation completely unchecked? Isn't it enough to uncheck only the canon names?

Well, the issue you described is my problem atm, besides the said names :(

First time I checked blindly every re-translation box.
The second time names and items are unchecked.
I went to the 7th Heaven (I'm not far in the game atm sadly) to look if Marlene still got her japanese name and she has.
(Other things like f.e. a weapon model, save-point-design, etc. I switched once more in BFE is changed w/o any problem - weird)

Maybe I should complete re-install the game? Uninstall and Re-install wouldn't take much longer than running bootleg only.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-11 20:19:39 by Luceid »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: 2013-01-11 20:58:09 »
Of course she has her japanese name. That's what the retranslation does - better english texts which are closer to the original japan meaning - so the names are original, too. If you don't like it you could open the flevel with Loveless and make a search and replace of Marin to Marlene (Zax to Zack).

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: 2013-01-11 21:22:18 »
Ah, thank you :)
Well, it's not that I'm not grateful for a Re-translation mod (btw: If you Americans thing your translation is bad... be glad you never had to play the german version ;)) but the names... this originally wrong translated names burned into my mind and I don't want to miss them :(
So, I ran the BFE.exe once more, this time with canon-names and canon-items unchecked.
Well... "Marlene" is still called Marin. So I'd like to ask if I have either
a) to run BFE once again, with Re-Translation completely unchecked
or
b) need to start a new game for the "old" names of the game.

Bootleg has no uninstall feature, so unchecking something and running it does not change anything. Unchecked boxes tells Bootleg to leave those options alone when it runs the install.

To restore your names and items, you will need to do a fresh install of the game, while leaving those boxes unchecked when running Bootleg.

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: 2013-01-11 21:37:58 »
Or you could copy it all from the install CD and CD1. For text you should only need flevel.lgp, kernel.bin, kernel2.bin and maybe scene.bin. The worldmap contains text too, but nothing what should bothering you.
Perhaps it would be usefull to have a 'Restore from CD' feature in bootleg. ???

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: 2013-01-12 01:47:13 »
An undo feature would require another 2GB to 9GB of disc space.
I really don't want Bootleg to require 50GB during installation!

I recommend creating an image of a fresh FF7 installation before running Bootleg.
Use the Create Image option found in the File menu of BFE.

Then you can set BFE to use the image every time you run Bootleg.
Bootleg will restore the fresh, vanilla image and then apply the mods while preserving the keyboard configuration and save games.

Sahloknir74

• View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: 2013-01-12 02:11:32 »
does the configurator simply not work correctly in any case for the re-release?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: 2013-01-12 02:14:23 »
I am not dead! Sorry guys, I'm still here.

We are currently seeking helpers who would answer people's questions. We are currently three and cannot be everywhere at any time. I was also considering registering an IRC channel for the sole purpose of Bootleg. The current IRC channel serves this purpose well but it is also a general chat channel frequently. Most (to not say all) people there do not even know what Bootleg is or how to help, and people usually mistakenly think so (I don't blame them for that, it's my fault for putting general and specific chat in a same place). If there are enough people interested, I will consider it. If not, it will stay as it is right now.

What we want:

- Someone fluent in at least one programming language to code an IRC bot to help users;
- People willing to help, both here and on IRC;
- People fluent in at least two languages, including English;
- People fluent in VB.NET and/or Batch to debug Bootleg pre-release;
- People able to use the various modding tools (even if only a few);
- Anything else, feel free to apply!

We would prefer people who are nice and treat others nicely most of the time.

"The main thing is converting all of the buster swords to work with the 100+ Cloud field and world map models."

If you are interested in any of the above, you might reply, send a PM to me and PitBrat (make sure to send to both) or join the IRC channel, also irc.esper.net #Vgr

If you are interested in having another channel designed for Bootleg, you may reply, send a PM or join the IRC channel (see above). If enough people want it, I will take necessary steps.

~Vgr

@Sahloknir74: Bootleg will work on the re-release.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-12 02:16:44 by Vgr »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: 2013-01-12 02:21:26 »
Please help.

Bootleg works with the 2012 ReRelease.

Bootleg 040 has a bug that prevents it from correctly installing on non-US CD-ROM versions of FF7.
This bug is fixed for a future release.
If anyone is willing to test the fix on a non-US CD-ROM version of FF7, please contact me.

Sahloknir74

• View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: 2013-01-12 02:53:24 »
I'm having problems with textures on the re-release, at first it was just a few spells and limit breaks that looked a bit funny, but the overworld textures are a disaster, and the map itself is unusable. please see the Attached images

Bolt spell:

Overworld:

Cross-slash (sorry couldn't get a better shot):

EDIT: Also important, absolutely nothing i change in the Game or Overhaul tabs has any effect.
« Last Edit: 2013-01-12 02:56:08 by Sahloknir74 »

PitBrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: 2013-01-12 03:21:06 »
What type of GPU are you using?
Did you change any of the configuration settings?
Post your APP.LOG.