Author Topic: Aeris vs Aerith.  (Read 29999 times)

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Aeris vs Aerith.
« Reply #50 on: 2013-08-15 15:02:45 »
I'm playing FF8 just now and I can't help but notice how the translation is so much better. Not only from Japanese to English, but also from English to other languages. (Note: Spoilers ahead) For example, you have to get, among other items, 6 Steel Pipes to summon Doomtrain. In the Occult Fan I, it says someone from Timber was building a fence with steel pipes (of course referring to the item). In French, the item is named Samadhi (where the hell did that come from?) and, in the Occult Fan I, it says the person was in Samadhi, a yoga posture.

That was the main thing that made me realize how careful the translators were for FF8.

craigstealsheep

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2013-08-22 21:05:49 »

Basically... the main problem is that success=profit, and that, for most writers and film makers, trumps quality.  Instead of just ending a movie or franchise, they realise they can make uber millions with crappy additions.  I guess it isn't all their fault... I mean, people keep buying it so.

Hey DLPB,

You ever see Mr. Plinkett's reviews of the Star Wars Prequels?

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/

He does the best job I've ever seen of explaining what's wrong with those films. I completely agree it's a monetary thing. There's this great documentary on the DVD/Blu-Ray version of Episode One about the making of it where everyone sits down and watches the cut of the film. The audience is so shocked by how terrible it is that they're speechless. Even Lucas admits there's too much going on before back pedaling and claiming it's the greatest thing ever.

This is where it begins:
http://youtu.be/j8sBsnYNucM?t=54m40s

BTW, really looking forward to see your translation get finished. While I'm partial to Aeris, I understand where you're coming from and it's ridiculous that anyone is giving you crap for it. While some of the mistranslations are pretty funny, it really pulls you out of the game when you see "Do, what now?" (reminds me of meatwad!!!). But, fanboys and fangirls are just that. It's like trying to convince a brick wall to grow wings and fly away. You can try, but you'll just end up feeling like you wasted your time.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2013-08-22 21:34:30 »
I love Plinkett!  Really gets to the heart of the problems with films.  8) and does it in a really cool way.  Plus he is funny as f.  And yeah, you are right.  :)