Author Topic: FF8 PC not installing  (Read 26049 times)

azazeldeath

• View Profile
Re: FF8 PC not installing
« Reply #25 on: 2011-07-11 01:01:34 »
I have never had a problem with any other program.
Just checked all my drivers, every single one of them was up to date except the MS software (made no difference).

I ran the anti-spyware and anti-virus. Computer came back clean, tried afterwards, still nothing :(

I guess I need to buy some external HDD and attempt to move 1.8TB of work onto them. Think it will take a few days though.

EDIT:
Now I know my computer hates me. After backing up everything, reinstalling windows and my programs it, including FF8 . I still get the same problem with FF8. No problems with anything else though.\

EDIT2:
Tried it all again, unless someone has another solution I will have to buy an old computer and just run it off that. Seems kind of wasteful to me but I really want to play this game on the PC.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-11 14:32:44 by azazeldeath »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-07-11 18:23:25 »
I am at a loss to explain what is happening. You have a system similar to mine and I had no issues running FF8.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011-07-11 19:48:25 »
Now that I've actually read the whole thing its pretty obvious what the problem is. You have my fake eax.dll installed in your system dir instead of the real one. So when my fake dll is trying to use the real dll it just keeps calling itself over and over, hanging and eventually crashing FF8.exe.

Remove my dll from your system dir, install eax and try again.

I should probably add a safeguard against this for the next version of the driver.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011-07-12 12:08:48 »
i dont think that the OS is the problem cause im using win7 64x aswell and ff8 works just fine..
is there any other application failling to install or run?  also try checking ALL ur drivers + run a scan with anti-virus/anti spyware application and see if it picks anything.. if nothing works u should consider re-installing windows even tho u need to backup alot of stuff.. cause that's not a ff8 problem it seems... its most likely something messed on ur windows

Every driver is updated, I have tried to re-install windows twice now. None of my hardware is faulty. I have even paid a computer tech (I went to uni to study it myself as well but a second opinion never hurts) he couldn't find anything wrong with my computer, or any drivers out of date, he was actually surprised that my bios is up to date since most people neglect that.

And as I said, I haven't ever had a problem with programs installing or running before.

I am speaking to a friend and thinking of buying his old gaming computer and seeing if perhaps that will solve the problem. Just need to set it up to share the mouse and keyboard (separate monitor) to save my desk space.

Finally, my computer is actually virus and adware free. A rather hard task, but when it runs 3 times a day it can actually stay on top of it.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 2011-07-16 14:17:49 »
Azazeldeath, can you confirm whether Aali's solution worked for you?

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-07-17 08:20:49 »
It didn't work. I have basically given up on trying to install the PC version I guess un-modded FF8 will have to do on the PS3.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-07-17 08:29:45 »
this is a pretty good mistery.. i would rly like to know what's preventing u from installing/running the game...

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011-07-17 09:25:53 »
I couldn't agree more, I want to play this on the PC with the mods. But until I can work out what is causing it to play up I am stuck :/

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-07-23 19:00:58 »
I hope the solution is as simple as I think.

You write
"I have also done all of the above after making an ISO (CloneDVD, GamejacklePRO, deamon tools)"
Do you have during that the option 'Ignore Read Errors' (or similar) DISABLED?

If not, the copy program will write all mistakes into the ISO-Image without informing you.

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-07-24 13:46:40 »
Tried with and without, doesn't change the errors.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-07-25 10:08:15 »
OK, I have another idea. Google for "Ultimate Boot CD" burn them and start your computer from the CD.
Search for "Memtest" and test your RAM. It takes about 2 to 3 hours, the faster it goes, if you choose test number 5.

greeting Kompass63

azazeldeath

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-07-25 13:29:55 »
I am afraid to say, I have already tried that, I have tested my RAM, HDD, and done torture tests on my CPU and GPU.
They passed all the tests I could throw at them. My computer appears to be running in perfect condition.
Another test I tried was over clocking, and under clocking my CPU and GPU. That made no difference.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-07-25 13:33:41 »
Win7 64 bits for me too. Just FYI, I'm using 0.7.9b for FF8. I never got any problem with FF8, with or without the 1.02 patch, and with or without Aali's driver.

You should try using 0.7.9b, just in case :)

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-07-26 14:37:40 »
I'm using Win7 64 bits and Aali's Driver 0.7.11b, will run...good enough.
 Ok, I once had problems with a floppy disk, my motherboard manufacturer suggested I turn off HPET in the BIOS.
This has helped me...

greeting Kompass63

Alexandros1982

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2013-05-09 18:30:13 »
I know that i am a bit late but i had the urge to play this game again:)I had the same problem and i could say i lost many hours to make it work installing(Setup.exe showed at task manager but instalation didnt start)! The solution i found was that there was a conflict and setuup exe was pending! *SOLUTION>>>>>STart Task Manager>Performance>Source Monitor>Find Setup.exe and right click and Select {Analyze Wait Chain} and u will find which program is obstracting setup.exe from instaling*close that program and after That Enjoy The game!

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2013-05-20 06:18:11 »
Holy wow... 2 years later. Hope you are enjoying the game and you must be some kind of windows genius to have discovered that solution. If I may be so bold... what program was it that was obstructing your setup.exe from running?