Author Topic: Learning C++ whats the best way?  (Read 2708 times)

Mako

• View Profile
Learning C++ whats the best way?
« on: 2009-12-23 18:03:36 »
Hello all I am trying to teach myself C++ (actually I have been trying for a wile now). I don't have money for school I just was looking for a good place to start. I have watched the video's on XoaX.net and other video's on the web I just can't seem to get it. Any recommendations for beginners are most welcome. Thank You.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Learning C++ whats the best way?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-12-23 20:13:57 »
You could do what I did. Decide to devote time to creating a useful program and learn about the features as you need them.

Except for me, I had an already broad understanding of how to use a programming language so I'm not sure if that'll help.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-12-23 23:36:36 »
In my experience, a goal oriented method is often superior to learning techniques such as programming. Figure out what you want to do, I'd suggest making a simple goal, start but something basic, like simple arithmatic, to get a basic handling of the opperators, and variables, as you go one, add things such as you find interesting and useful, and use your creativity to figure out new applications for the functions you come accross.

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-12-26 17:43:06 »
In my experience, a goal oriented method is often superior to learning techniques such as programming. Figure out what you want to do, I'd suggest making a simple goal, start but something basic, like simple arithmatic, to get a basic handling of the opperators, and variables, as you go one, add things such as you find interesting and useful, and use your creativity to figure out new applications for the functions you come accross.

Thanks actually that's a great idea I've created my first BASIC rpg using visual c++!!!!!. I'm getting there...FF7 here I come! My ultimate goal is to help with Qgears or someday make my own drivers like Aali.

strutwatson

« Reply #4 on: 2009-12-29 09:50:36 »
A great book for reference is the C/ C++ Bible - it's a huge brown/ tan/ white book that just literally has all sorts of cool little snippets for you...  when I first started it was a god send!