Author Topic: Opinion needed! Buying a new LCD Monitor  (Read 5542 times)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Opinion needed! Buying a new LCD Monitor
« on: 2007-01-02 13:39:48 »
Im upgrading my 17" Hyundai LCD and am looking for something 22"+

I am really keen on getting the DELL 24" 2407 Widescreen for around £500
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

or an Asus 22" Widescreen for almost £300.
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Productinfo.aspx?ProductID=15713

Any folks have bought Large LCDs and have something to share about them, any recommendations?

Money is not an issue, Overall quality, response times, connectivity and warranty are important issues - I would have had the DELL by now if I wasn't 100% sure about it's response time.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 2007-01-02 13:52:59 by The Skillster »

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Re: Opinion needed! Buying a new LCD Monitor
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-02 13:57:03 »
Im upgrading my 17" Hyundai LCD and am looking for something 22"+
I am really keen on getting the DELL 24" 2407 Widescreen for around £500 or an Asus 22" Widescreen for almost £300.
Any folks have bought Large LCDs and have something to share about them, any recommendations?

Money is not an issue, Overall quality, response times and warranty are important issues - I would have had the DELL by now if I wasn't 100% sure about it's response time.

Thanks

I've been using the Dell 24" 2405 for a while now (of which the 2407 should probably be considered an upgrade), though I paid something like £700 for my 2405. Quality is very nice, the many input types are also nice. As usual the USB hub is disconnected when you turn the display off, which can be annoying, but it's a minor issue in my opinion. Response time, well... maybe I'm not powergamer enough, but I have never noticed any sluggishness with 60Hz, nor any annoying blurriness when watching movies (though it will look different than a CRT, obviously).

The additional bonus with the 2407 over the 2405 is, as I understand it, support for encrypted video signals (making it compatible with high-definition DVD output in Vista etc. etc.). Which I guess is a good thing.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-02 14:24:12 »
Hey Qhimm, you sure chose a good screen.
Yep, the 2407FPW has support for HDCP over DVI, the supported HDTV modes are as follows:
DVI: upto 1080i (dunno about 1080p but I think you need something HDCP compliant)
Component: uptp 1080i
VGA: upto 1080i/p (although 1080p is mapped to 1900x1200)
Has the USB and media card business. They have dropped the Grey to Grey timings to 8ms, while Black to White remains 16ms.

Jari

« Reply #3 on: 2007-01-13 04:27:40 »
On the subject of Dell...

Meet Dell's new 22" LCD concept.

And Japala's TransTFT LCD mod.

Or was it the other way around?

Inquirer thinks that Dell's monitor has got balls. Methinks that Dell's monitor has got some stolen balls. But like they say; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :-D

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-01-14 11:50:28 »
Hi, I did fork out a bit of cash for the Dell 2047 and got it this Friday.
I have posted some pictures on my Flickr account here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theskillster/tags/dell/
I think in DVI and VGA it is great, abit larger then life! I need to find a bigger desk for it now!
Although I have noticed something of late, the PS2 has the worse scalability over component then any other input (gamecube PC etc) and scales horribly to widescreen on this screen and on my Samsung LCD tv.

I dont have any normal 720p sources to test with though so I can't comment on that.
By the way the landscape on my desktop background was created by me using a nice piece of software called Terragen.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #5 on: 2007-02-08 18:32:20 »
Wasn't it said that LCD type monitors slow down Frame rates?
I could have sworn that was the main reason why it was said to stick with regular type monitors....
That the refresh rate was too slow for LCD's.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-02-08 21:43:59 »
Response times were the big thing about 3 years ago, but you can get 4ms LCD's now, so there's no real difference, aside from picture quality...

ChaosControl

• ¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-02-09 01:16:34 »
Response times were the big thing about 3 years ago, but you can get 4ms LCD's now, so there's no real difference, aside from picture quality...
1ms isnt hard to find nowadays anyway, not that anything below 7ms really matters.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #8 on: 2007-02-09 18:15:15 »
well.... seems I've been giving out bad advice, then.
Over at the Sim's 2 board..... but...  it was about 14 months ago.