Author Topic: FF8 opcodes  (Read 9820 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FF8 opcodes
« on: 2012-02-12 02:39:49 »
Just noticed that FF8 Opcodes are being added to the wiki by Myst6re and Aali. How about did you guys come by this information?

All always here BTW. I secretly hawk the wiki fro changes (I have an RSS feed set up for it). Some new breakthrough?

Aali

• View Profile
Re: FF8 opcodes
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-12 12:08:42 »
Just noticed? If I added any of that information, it would have been years ago.. 'round the time I wrote my field script dumper for FF8.

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-12 17:40:28 »
I created an editor like Makou Reactor which allows me to test and understand how scripts work in game. Aali helped me understand and parse the jsm file format.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-12 19:22:35 »
Where did you get the opcode names? Are they made up, or are they in the executable somewhere? Just want to make sure we are not dealing with any leaked source code.

If what were the case, that would be bad.

How bad?

Lets say this Twinkie represents the litigation power of Squeenix.  According to this morning's sample, it will be a Twinkie... 35 feet long weighing approximately 600 pounds.

That's a big Twinkie.

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-12 19:37:17 »
Where did you get the opcode names? Are they made up, or are they in the executable somewhere? Just want to make sure we are not dealing with any leaked source code.

You've already asked this question at the time :roll:.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8792.msg111645#msg111645

Lets say this Twinkie represents the litigation power of Squeenix.  According to this morning's sample, it will be a Twinkie... 35 feet long weighing approximately 600 pounds.

That's a big Twinkie.

Hmmm... What?! ???

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-12 20:30:51 »

Given Square's history, I doubt even *they* have the source code.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-13 00:50:50 »
Given Square's history, I doubt even *they* have the source code.
Haha! That's true. I'm, just being a little overprotective. don't mind me.

Just to let you guys know, www.qhimm.com is actually blocked by the webfilter at my work. (the wiki is unblocked though) This means there are companies who are not exactly pleased with the website and have added it to the filter database (It's webwasher BTW, and no, it wasn't a local company add either, but an out-of-the-box block.)

That's a big Twinkie.

Hmmm... What?! ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzaQjS1JstY
« Last Edit: 2012-02-13 00:55:31 by halkun »

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-13 05:51:02 »
It wasn't a local company add either, but an out-of-the-box block.
Respectfully, I would have to disagree... we use Webwasher at my place of employment, and does not come 'out of box' with any such blocks at-all. In fact Webwasher comes with a blank slate. They can pre-package blocks based on the companies request, but it is almost absurd to think they specifically mentioned Qhimm.com.  Webwasher is most annoying at 'broadly' blocking criteria, I contacted tech department (awhile ago) to add my site... they did. But they forgot to add the 'www' to the url, so it was blocked. Then as soon as that was fixed my site still was blocked, why? because I forgot to add an expiration to my cookies.

Turns out they blocked everything related to games (video games) so people wouldn't play games at work. They weren't out to get me in particular. We don't use it nowadays, it got in the way to much. Perhaps one of the above set off the block, or perhaps modding is synonymous with Qhimm.com so it was swept up under that category.

P.S: Downloaded, yup comes up nothing. I am drunk, and bored. LOL

P.S Part 2: Stop worrying yourself Halkun, much to your disagreement. I personally know Square 100% does not care what goes on here (or ever did). Qhimm.com is all-over the web, and quite predominantly on their forum as well. I can tell you with absolute certainty that not only does Square know of this site, but also knows exactly what goes on here. Even the notion of being 'under the radar' or 'overlooked' is really quite funny. :) I cannot even begin to search for and FF7 term without bumping into this site. Thousands of videos, music, and pics (perhaps even millions) even if Qhimm.com closes right now it will still be littered throughout the web for generations to come.

P.S Part 3!: For the record I consider Halkun to be the first and foremost expert on all subjects (including minecraft) he just is a worrywort. :D
« Last Edit: 2012-02-13 06:36:19 by Mako »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2012-02-13 13:24:33 »
I personally know Square 100% does not care what goes on here (or ever did)

Maybe. But maybe that's because we've always been cautious - always avoided doing anything that damages Square's goodwill. Better safe than sorry, right?

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-02-13 18:23:39 »
Better safe than sorry, right?
Soooo true... But, I will never ever read the headline "Qhimm shutdown cause the use FF8 official Opcodes" there is a such thing as being overly cautions. After all, most/all of this caution stems from a project that was closed almost a full decade ago, for reasons completely separate from Qhimm.com. Fanboy-ism aside, this is for all intensive purposes an obscure windows 95 game...

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 2012-02-18 00:15:21 »
...this is for all intensive purposes ...

Be it far from me to correct someone's english, but the term is "For all intents and purposes"

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2012-02-18 08:49:48 »
Be it far from me....

I don't think that's how that saying goes either. It seems bad English runs rampant here. :)

Still, Mako has a point. With all the info that's been reversed and documented about FF7, if that hasn't shut us down, then FF8 stuff (100% correct technical term ;) ) won't either.