Author Topic: Where is the mis-translated dialog  (Read 5472 times)

Torrean

• View Profile
Where is the mis-translated dialog
« on: 2006-05-15 01:58:51 »
I was going to do my first edit, and I was wondering which files in flevel have the mis-translated dialog, for example when Cloud tells Barret to attack when it's tail is up. Is there any ones I can't edit? Finally, I do need to back-up my flevel/other files I'm changing, right? I'm using Sappire, if that helps. Thanks!

zero88

• View Profile
Re: Where is the mis-translated dialog
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-15 02:12:06 »
I'm not familiar with Sapphire; download Cosmo (http://elentor.com/Projetos/FF7-Tools/Editors/cosmo095c.zip) and ficedula.dll (http://elentor.com/Projetos/FF7-Tools/ficelib151a.zip) (place ficedula.dll in your windows/system directory).

You can edit individual levels within Cosmo; what you can do is (although I'm not positive; definitely backup your flevel.lgp before doing this  :-P) open up Cosmo, open up your flevel.lgp, go to "Tools," and then go to "Search/Replace Tool." You can input what the original text said, and then replace it with what you want it to say. You can also set other various options within the Search/Replace tool to suit your needs.

See what the game does, and post your results.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-15 04:03:08 »
What you're looking for is in the battle scenes, in scene.bin. I'm not sure exactly how to modify it, other than it should be stored in FFtext format in whatever scene file contains Guard Scorpian. I don't know if you can change the length of it or not easily.

EDIT- Oh, and there are no editors for that part of the scene file, so you'll probably have to edit it in a hex editor.
Edit2- And the data I'm referring to is dialogue in battle such as the famous "Attack while its tail's up!".
« Last Edit: 2006-05-15 05:32:31 by Vehek »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-15 07:12:54 »
Battle texts are either in kernel.bin or kernel2.bin (probably this one). BTW, how do want to correct this text? I mean, what do want to change it to?

dziugo

Torrean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-15 12:09:25 »
I'm not going to make a major overhaul, just make it so it says "Don't attack when its tail is up", stuff like that. Any other mis-translations, besides that one, in or out of battle?

Torrean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-15 20:51:43 »
I can't find the file that I need for that scorpion one anywhere. I'll ask again, any other translations needing a change? Sorry to double post.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-15 21:25:15 »
Extract the files from scene.bin. Scene82 has the data for the Guard Scorpian. The text you're looking for is in its AI.

NobodyImportant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-15 22:12:53 »
It's not exactly a mistranslation, because right after he says "Attack while its tails up" he says "and it'll counter attack with its laser." :|

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-15 22:16:56 »
Guess I was wrong,
Extract the files from scene.bin. Scene82 has the data for the Guard Scorpian. The text you're looking for is in its AI.
Another knowledgeable person to this board. Welcome!  :-D
It's not exactly a mistranslation, because right after he says "Attack while its tails up" he says "and it'll counter attack with its laser." :|
That's why I was wondering, what did he want to translate it to :P

dziugo

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-15 22:22:04 »
Actually, he doesn't say "and".  And if we're talking about proper grammar, the wording should be "If you attack while its tail's up..." (no apostorphe in its =P)

There's a pretty bad Engrish part inlalte disk 2 when you're talking to Cait on the highwind, and i think there's some messed up dialouge in wutai.

Other than that, i havn't seen anything that needs fixing.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-16 01:26:12 »
I've modified scene82 and rebuilt scene.bin, and I was able to change the dialogue in the Guard Scorpion battle. I don't know how to change the length of lines. It'll probably involve changing the pointer to AI for the enemy after it and/or knowing more about how the AI works.
Oh yeah, the character's names in the dialogue there don't appear to be stored in FFtext format, but that probably doesn't matter, as it's appears to be the only place where they (Cloud and Barret) talk in battle.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-19 02:19:30 by Vehek »

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-05-16 07:15:29 »
FFText decoding table is here. Everyone's names are just a single bytes. FF7 will use the correct text from the save-map when needed.

dziugo

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-05-16 14:04:07 »
I knew that characters' names are stored as single bytes. However, the Guard Scorpion AI doesn't show them that way in the messages.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-19 02:19:42 by Vehek »

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-16 14:16:08 »
"That way"? Can you be more specific?

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-16 14:29:33 »
Well, for example, using a table file I made, it shows this...
={DlgBegin}{Cloud} !, be careful!{DlgEnd}

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-05-16 15:38:45 »
Ok, I checked it. If it finds 0xEA, it takes a word (Big Endian) right after it, and searches for a correct name in the save-map.
So this:
Code: [Select]
[EA 00 00] 00 B2 [EA 00 01] 0C 00 42 45 00 43 41 52 45 46 55 4C 01 B3 FFWill become this:
Code: [Select]
{Cloud} ˝{Barret}, be careful!˝{End}Dunno how is that relevant :P

dziugo