Author Topic: Ok Aali, where did you find the opcodes for FF8?  (Read 5049 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Ok Aali, where did you find the opcodes for FF8?
« on: 2009-08-07 09:34:45 »
I saw what you did there... Where did you find them? I'd love to make a script dumper, you got any arguments yet?

Aali

• View Profile
Re: Ok Aali, where did you find the opcodes for FF8?
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-07 15:50:01 »
A script dumper? Sort of like this?

FF8 uses a stack based system and fixed-size opcodes.

The names are all in one big list in ff8.exe, save for 20 opcodes. Two of them are simple enough, they're left/right shift operations but the other 18 are listed as Unknown[1-18] in a dump.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-07 20:33:27 »
Oh , I *do* have a thing for fieldscript :)

An interpreter engine would be sweet, and it's close enough to the FF7 command set (Well, minus the whole stack thing) One could make an interpreter to use both. It's also interesting to see who the command list grew.

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-07 23:32:51 »
I'm very interested too :-P, scripts are also in ff8.exe?

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-08 00:49:58 »
By any chance would opcodes such as these in question be any help in decoding the model format? or are the too high level for that?

Then again since I'm so inept at model decoding anyway I'd might as well not ask at all...

Still to see halkun asking for something is amazing to me... Normally I see people asking you questions...

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-08 17:41:48 »
Hmmm... FFIX also use stack. I think this is the way square chose for it's event scripting.
Very cool though. Good luck with your explorations.

Micky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-13 07:44:01 »
The names are all in one big list in ff8.exe, save for 20 opcodes. Two of them are simple enough, they're left/right shift operations but the other 18 are listed as Unknown[1-18] in a dump.
That would mean somewhere in the code is a disassembler for script code, either as part of a debugger or as part of an exception handler. Maybe looking for it could give a hint for the unknown instructions?

So far my search in Xenogears didn't bring up anything. One or two strings that could be script instructions, but not enough to look like a complete opcode list.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-13 11:37:28 »
Disassembler? Not really, it was able to produce something similar to the dump I made at some point (except it prints exactly what's executed, in real time) but that code has since been removed.