Author Topic: But what about ff8?  (Read 7661 times)

arlenreyb

But what about ff8?
« on: 2006-03-19 23:19:33 »
Yeah, sure, Final Fantasy VII is a fantastic game and all, but what about Final Fantasy VIII? There's a patch for FF7 that cleans up all the models and such, and ups the resolution, so why hasn't anyone done this for FF8? It would be less work, overall, because there'd be no need for a "Reunion patch" for FF8 because, obviously, the sprites are the same both on the field and in battle.

So what's up? Has someone else started this, and I missed it in my search of the forums, or do we just not care about Final Fantasy VIII at all? :D

CkRtech

• View Profile
    • http://foxyford83.proboards20.com/
But what about ff8?
« Reply #1 on: 2006-03-20 01:53:37 »
I think most people have latched onto FF7 because of its historical significance, popularity, and general "programming community" of people working on FF7 projects.

I would love to work on FF8 (if anything because most people have not) & do a few things. However this requires time as well as me programming all day at work....and then feeling like I want to come home and....program.  :erm:

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
But what about ff8?
« Reply #2 on: 2006-03-20 02:22:14 »
Well, mind you, all this stuff for ff7 has been a long time coming.  Its only been in the last... 6 months that people have really cracked ff7s data files and such to make these things, when people have been working behind the scenes on unlocking the formats for years.

ff8 would require starting fresh, and, there seems to be some exaustion in the community (qhimm, halkun, and saint have bene kinda quiet lately).  If you want, check out the TECH RELATED forum and do a search for ff8 and see what kind of progress people have made.

Salk

• View Profile
But what about ff8?
« Reply #3 on: 2006-03-20 06:04:23 »
In my opinion, it's all for the good as Final Fantasy VII is for me the best episode in the FF series, light years ahead its direct sequel.

arlenreyb

But what about ff8?
« Reply #4 on: 2006-03-20 13:25:33 »
Quote from: Salk
In my opinion, it's all for the good as Final Fantasy VII is for me the best episode in the FF series, light years ahead its direct sequel.

Heh, okay, so FF7 is the best Final Fantasy in the series, so ... we'll spend the most time on fixing it?

Because that's what we're doing; we're fixing this game, because we didn't like the deformed field sprites. :)

Salk

• View Profile
But what about ff8?
« Reply #5 on: 2006-03-20 13:56:31 »
I obviously meant best of the series as game concept in his original platform, Playstation.

And sincerely, I haven't ever heard your name associated to any modification. Since you wrote "we", may I know in which project you are involved ?  :wink:

arlenreyb

But what about ff8?
« Reply #6 on: 2006-03-20 14:07:59 »
Don't read too much into it, but I was only trying to be polite and use "we" as "we forum goers" since I really have no idea how many of you work on this stuff. Using "you" sounded a little too accusing, to me.

edit: On the other hand, if I knew how to get started on this ff8 project, or if there was any way I could help, I would when I had some free time.

Salk

• View Profile
But what about ff8?
« Reply #7 on: 2006-03-20 16:14:24 »
arlenreyb,

I am part of nothing actually...Just a thankful user of modders' work. And as user I am very happy that modders concentrate their effort on FF VII which is plot-wise, combat-wise, everything-wise way superior to all the sequels that came after (I'd just perhaps take Final Fantasy VI almost at its level). That's all...

arlenreyb

But what about ff8?
« Reply #8 on: 2006-03-20 19:00:17 »
I agree with you, actually.
Quote from: In my first post, I
Final Fantasy VII is a fantastic game

So let's put aside this debate over which game is better; that's not why I made this thread.

Sark_Amen

mm
« Reply #9 on: 2006-04-11 22:32:30 »
I really like FFVII but it felt a bit disorienting.....I have yet to beat FFVIII I just started the second disc and man I am shocked at how much i am enjoying it. I like the pace of it alot better than 7 also the whole GF system works really well for me. Anyway I just wanted to say I really would like to see a Hi-res patch. I assume I am not the only person limited to 640x480? unsupported video cards right? If anyone knows of anything in exsistance to support higher let us know.....

Starlith

• View Profile
But what about ff8?
« Reply #10 on: 2006-04-12 06:22:40 »
or even getting FSAA working without no screw ups would be good is there a way to do it without the use of a patch or something?

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
But what about ff8?
« Reply #11 on: 2006-04-12 09:11:14 »
Well, the main problems with FF8 are:

1. There's not that much interest in modding FF8, since it's simply not that popular and most people want to see FF7 get modded.

2. Most of the FF8 file formats have not been hacked yet. We have been working on the FF7 formats for over 5 years now, and as EmperorSteele wrote, the real modding began about one (or a half) year ago...

- Alhexx

AOD

• Angel of Death
    • View Profile
    • AOD Hosting
But what about ff8?
« Reply #12 on: 2006-04-12 13:26:46 »
Squaresoft *cough cough* i mean Square Einx said at the time the two most selling ff games were 7 and 8 so they launched them both for pc i like 7 just as much as 8

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
But what about ff8?
« Reply #13 on: 2006-04-13 04:16:10 »
FF8 already looks pretty good and sounds pretty good (what with not using midi for vocal tracks). There just isn't as much use for mods such as the Reunion Patch, Borde's NPC Reconstruction, or FF7Music. Furthermore, the clever minds here are STILL working with FF7 on cracking certain code to make a new engine for old data possible. Until that's done, I don't think we'll see much happen to FF8.

AOD

• Angel of Death
    • View Profile
    • AOD Hosting
Re: But what about ff8?
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-14 02:01:40 »
it would be nice that the models get a bit fixed up

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-05-14 06:04:02 »
Well AOD the thing is that with the reunion and NPC RC we only change the parts of the field models with the parts of the battle models.  In FF8 all the field models are already as good as the battles models.  So to improve it we would have to remake all the parts.

TwilightFantasy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-06 16:15:18 »
I liked the whole idea of FF7Music, you can choose your own music to add onto the ff7 soundtrack during the game.  With FF8 you can't because no one has made anything similar to FF7Music.  It would be really nice to have something like that, then people wouldn't have to stick to certain soundfonts in order to play the game, we could choose our own music to go along with it.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-06 18:21:20 »
I don't know about projects of this kind but I think that the ff8 music is realy good so with better midi sound it,d sound realy good.  I'm working right now on a project that will improved realy much the sounding of the mid files so you will be able to play ff8 with this sound.  Basicaly it's a soundfont but you won't have to have a sound card that support soundfont since I will give a soft synth that use soundfont with this pack.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-08 08:34:38 »
Hey Storm.  I've noticed you're really skilled at 3D pogramming.  I was wondering if you could figure out a way to fix the gridlines when playing with ATI cards in FF8?  You know, when you enable Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-08 17:01:46 »
Well Changeling I have a nVidia card so I'm not realy familiar with ATi card.  However I had this problem with my nVidia.  The problem was that in ff7(before the high rez patch) I had to turn off the 8 bit texturization in my graphic card configuration nut with ff8 if it's off you have a gridlines problem so I think it may be off on your graphic card setting.  Try to find a way to enable it I think it may fix your problem.