Author Topic: FFVII Help  (Read 4224 times)

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
FFVII Help
« on: 2008-03-30 15:41:51 »
Hi guys, second request for help I'm making alerady :-P
In FFVII is there any mods/tweaks that would allow me to run the game properly on my Vista laptop?
It's not a serious issue if there's not, but it crashes once every few hours.  As I said, not much of a problem, I just save at every available point.
But any help would be appreciated :-)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: FFVII Help
« Reply #1 on: 2008-03-30 17:39:19 »
If I understood correctly, you own a PSX version of FF7, and you are having problems with Ultima (PC) version of it. Since it's downloaded, your AntiVirus might actually be right, and some files are actually infected.

As for the crashing part, if you own any kind of processor with multiple cores (or Pentium4 with HyperThreading technology), setting the processor affinity for FF7 process might help. Since that might require Alt-Tabbing from FF7 - which is generally a bad idea - use YAMP with MiniGamesPatch.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-03-30 17:57:06 »
I have both the real copy for PC, and Ultima Edition (bough shortly after downloaded) The anti-Virus picks up a worm on both versions, unless my save is corrpted rom Ultima edition perhaps? I copied my Ultima save to the real game when I installed it, so I wouldn't have to start again.
I only have a single core processor btw :-)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2008-03-30 18:43:58 »
Do you see any pattern in those crashes? Like: when entering menu, when the song ends, when entering a battle, when winning a battle? Also, out of curiousity, what AV do you use, and what's the name of the worm it picks up? What happens if you scan the FF7 Install Disc?

Swampthing15

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-03-30 18:49:22 »
i read in a seperate forum that if u turn off the anti virus when installing and playin it works fine...esp with the legit copy on cds, there is no virus on the cds, if they are store bought...as for the ultima edition idk...

i have quite a few games that are labeled as viruses....but they arent its something to do with the information the file access i think...its just a risk downloaded games that u have to decide if ur willing to take it
« Last Edit: 2008-03-30 18:51:14 by Swampthing15 »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-03-30 19:00:39 »
Yea I switch off the anti-virus and the game runs fine, the problem isn't the virus anymore, which gets picked up on both ultima, and real versions btw.  The actual problem now is random crashes, and no there is no pattern that I can see, it just happens every so often.  The last time it happened, I had been playing about 2 hours, was at the gold saucer and was messign around with the bike mini game, and it crashed.  If on XP I get FF7.exe has encountered a serious error and needs to close, on Vista I get FF7.exe needs to shut down, this applies also to both legit copy and my Ultima edition.
I think it's just one of those things I'm going to have to live with unfortunately.

Also to answer the question, I use AVG free edition on my laptop (Vista) and Norton 2007 on my desktop pc (XP)

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-03-30 19:06:06 »
Any chance to get the info about the crash? Like memory offset and faulting module? In WinXP it should be stored in "Control Panel"->"Admin tools"->"Event viewer" (look in the Software category in event viewer).

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-03-30 19:08:53 »
I'm kinda useless with things like that, but I'll check it out, and if I see anything that sounds usefull I'll let you know, thanks btw :-)