Author Topic: Re: FF7 models to 3ds Max  (Read 6798 times)

majinmunkee

Re: FF7 models to 3ds Max
« on: 2006-11-21 07:21:44 »
sorry to revive such an old issue, but if anyone was still around or reading i wanted to say that the 3dsmax6 ASE importer won't load on 3dsmax7 startup.

and as for the 3dsmax7, even if it worked, the link is long since dead.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2006-11-21 17:16:24 »
Hi majinmunkee and wellcome to the forums :-)

Personaly I use Biturn to convert .p to .3ds and then import them in 3dsmax8
Here a link to Mirex's Biturn program.
http://mirex.mypage.sk/FILES/bi087b4.rar

I've never tested 3dsmax7 but I guess the the 3ds extention will be compatible...

Hope it helped.
See you.

majinmunkee

« Reply #2 on: 2006-11-21 19:33:45 »
It didn't quite help me, but I'm extremely grateful for your kindness.

I've been using biturn (various versions) to convert the HRC full skeleton models to 3ds, then import them to 3dsmax7.

Those models really don't like being played with, they'll randomly freeze max completely. I've heard Biturn's ASE file conversion is quite a bit better than its 3ds conversion. I've tried many different ASE import version plugins, and 3dsmax7 won't load a single one of them.

I'm sorry if my problem was too vaguely laid out before, but there it is in full.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-11-21 22:17:55 »
Well.. I think that converting the HRC will only give you one part(witch mean that it will only move by moving the vertex... could be used for a skin though).  But well... I didn't realy tried to convert the HRC... so I don't know if it works properly... But the .p to 3ds work like a charm :-) hehe.  What do you want to do exactly ? maybe then we could help you find a way to do it.

majinmunkee

« Reply #4 on: 2006-11-22 12:23:54 »
alright. i extract with lgp tools, then browse that directory with biturn. then i convert the HRC files, the "battle skeleton" files.

i thought that already seemed weird, that it wasn't a model specifically.

question about the .p files, if you import a bunch of them and just merge them with the current scene, will they all be in the correct place? or just all over top of each other. thanks again.

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-11-22 16:55:44 »
Well... unfortunately I beleve you gonna have to move them all...

majinmunkee

« Reply #6 on: 2006-11-22 21:36:04 »
thanks. have you or anyone else had max freeze upon importing a 3ds file made from a converted HRC?

**edit
I tried converting the single p files, then importing the converted 3ds files into max. i moved one of the 2 parts i imported, and it froze while i was clicking. wonder what the problem is.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-22 22:00:41 by majinmunkee »

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #7 on: 2006-11-23 11:36:19 »
Hi majinmunkee
it is true, the MAX 7 plugin located on my webpage does not work for everyone. Sadly I don't know the reason or solution because I haven't tried it myself, but try to go along these advices:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=4404
you should get few of missing DLL's and then it might work.

I'm not familiar with 3DS problem in MAX, maybe you can try to get MilkShape 3D free editor, load 3DS there and resave it to update them, and then try to open them in MAX.

About the models. Lets sumarize it:

.TEX files are FF7 textures. Not common format, not readable, but it can be converted by Biturn and by one of Ficedula's tools. It also gets converted by Biturn when converting whole model.

.P files are FF7 models - 3D geometry. Contains 3D model of one body part, colours and a part of reference to texture file if body part has texture.

.RSD files are present in Field model files. They contain information of which texture and which body parts are together. They point on P files and TEX files.

.HRC files are present in Field model files. They define the model skeleton, they have a list of RSD files which form whole model.

In Battle models (those with better quality) its a little different. Models don't have file extensions so its not easy to know their type, but files which 3rd and 4th letter is 'a'  (for example  "meaa") are something like .HRC files in field models - they define whole skeleton.

So if you view/convert P file you get one body part. If you open the .HRC or "AA" file you get whole model with skeleton and body parts attached to it.

read also this document for some more details:  http://mirex.mypage.sk/FILES/gamedata.txt

majinmunkee

« Reply #8 on: 2006-11-26 14:46:24 »
i figured out what the problem was. 3dsmax7 freezes almost randomly as i use it, regardless of the content. not sure why the ff7 hrc-3ds files set that off so much sooner though. i've never had a problem with it doing this, and i don't know how to fix it. maybe it doesn't like my old gaming card.