Author Topic: FF7 - 7th Heaven with modified kernel.bin problem (WallMarket)  (Read 7805 times)

ttrax

• View Profile
Hey, this is my first post and I'm not sure if this is in the right sub-forum. I have searched the forums but I am very confused on what I find and if it is relevant to my problem.

I am using the 7th Heaven Mod Manager and modified the kernel.bin file with WallMarket, I changed all of Cloud's available weapon models to the buster sword. If I launch the game via it's own directory (original ff7.exe) the changes take place but I don't have any of the mods working, but if I launch the game via the 7th Heaven tool I have the mods except the modified kernel.bin file isn't working. Can someone help me get 7th Heaven to use the modified kernel.bin file?

Please can anyone help me? I've been trying to sort this out for about 4 hours with no luck.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-19 23:11:39 by ttrax »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
7th Heaven changes the files at runtime, so if you have a mod which changes the kernel.bin, you will find yourself only using that mod's kernel, and not your modified version.

ttrax

• View Profile
My mod list (in load order):

Misc - Red Werewolf
Misc- CHaOS (Character Overhaul Seven)
Gameplay- Difficulty and Story
Battle Models - Weapons
Animations
Battle Models - Characters
Battle Models - Enemies
Battle Textures
Menu - Backgrounds and Avatars
Menu Overhaul
Minigames - Fort Condor
Field Models - Characters. Enemies. and Objects
Gameplay - Tweaks and Cheats
Media - Music and Sound
Minigames - Chocobo Race
Minigames - Wonder Square
Spell Textures
World Models - Characters. Enemies. and Vehicles
World Textures

I'm guessing one of these mods modifies the kernel file? Is it possible to get 7th Heaven to overwrite with the WallMarket version during session? And if so how would I do that as I only understand the basics?

Thanks for helping.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Both mods which have "Gameplay" in it sound like they could affect kernel.bin; I don't have 7th Heaven though so I can't check, but that's my guess.

ttrax

• View Profile
Alright, thanks for letting me know.

I will deactivate those two gameplay mods 1 at a time to see if it makes a difference, I hope I don't have to deactivate all the mods to test it.

I only want to change all of the weapon models available to Cloud to the buster sword. I heard the WallMarket program could do that but is there an easier way to do it (Don't get me wrong other changes I made showed up in the vanilla game when I tested it)? Just a simple mod I could download and install on 7thHeaven?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
Someone more knowledgable would have to answer that, but I know you'll have to make a .iro file for that. I don't know how though, but others may.

ttrax

• View Profile
Cheers for the reply.

I have deactivated all my mods, I enabled the Menu Overhaul along with Spell Textures and Media - Music and Sound in no order whatsoever (going by mods one by one). I believe the Menu Overhaul is causing some kind of incompatibility with it as I tried it on it's own. I'm gonna try others but it's such a shame I might not be able to use the overhaul as it really does make the menu more modern.

Edit:

I have found three incompatible mods from my mod list, I will list them for anyone who wants to use these but still edit the kernel file via WallMarket.

Compatible:
Misc- CHaOS (Character Overhaul Seven)
Gameplay- Difficulty and Story
Battle Models - Weapons
Animations
Battle Models - Characters
Battle Models - Enemies
Battle Textures
Minigames - Fort Condor
Field Models - Characters. Enemies. and Objects
Gameplay - Tweaks and Cheats
Media - Music and Sound
Minigames - Chocobo Race
Minigames - Wonder Square
Spell Textures
World Models - Characters. Enemies. and Vehicles
World Textures

Incompatible:
Misc - Red Werewolf
Menu - Backgrounds and Avatars
Menu Overhaul

The incompatible mods stop the changes I made to the kernel file (stat changes to the buster sword along with changing all of Cloud's swords to that of the buster sword model), however I don't fully know if it will affect other kernel changes you make.

So I kind of solved my problem but there's a trade off. I am still interested in a mod that changes all the swords to the buster sword model, if anyone knows of one on here please let me know. Thanks.

« Last Edit: 2015-12-20 14:26:03 by ttrax »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
The kernels in Menu Overhaul are gone in the next catalog update. They were accidentally added in the current version.

Menu - Backgrounds and Avatars have no alterations to the kernel, so I don't know what's going on there.

Red Werewolf (and WereXIII next catalog update) have to have their kernels to function. You can try making a patch of your kernel and then applying it to the Red Werewolf kernel to see if they combine successfully. This can be done in WallMarket.

ttrax

• View Profile
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I will try that next time, I am new to WallMarket but I will give it a go.

I don't know why Menu and Avatars were interfering either but for some reason they negate the stat changes to the buster sword I made.