Author Topic: Learning Some coding, a few questions  (Read 2850 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Learning Some coding, a few questions
« on: 2011-12-13 01:53:59 »
Just for a quick catch up; I got my A+ cert this year, and have been learning basic web programming. Learning basics of flash on old but still registered version of flashMX. Been fiddling with ubuntu. Now I've been thinking of getting into programming. One of the places I thought of to ask random questions is here. Considering alot of the programs on qhim also have their source code for show, I thought it would be a good place for study ideas.
Picked out two languages to learn, visual basic to go with visual studio express. And after I get through that book, I have a book on C++.

Anyways just making sure that it wont be too annoying if I ask questions here.

Also with the hex editing, what is the best training material to read up on understanding it.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Learning Some coding, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-13 13:26:41 »
If you want VB.NET help this might not be the best place because we're not experts. Also, all my code (until PrCMDI gets released) is pretty much a mess by my current standards. It's got some inefficient ways of doing things that you really shouldn't get in the habit of doing.
If you want help with VB, go to www.xtremevbtalk.com. There are lots of helpful people there that know 50 ways of doing any one thing. Pay particular attention to AtmaWeapon. He almost always gives an answer to most questions and his answers will be long and correct.

C++ is still a simple enough language. I learned a lot of it back in high-school and college about a decade ago, but haven't used it since. Consider going with something slightly higher than that like C# or Java.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-13 18:20:04 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:11:35 by Jenova's Witness »

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Some coding, a few questions
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-13 21:51:54 »
XVI32 is the greatest hex editor of all time.  Google it.  It works with Wine, and I heard that the author will port it to Linux and Mac some day, via Lazarus. (hint: XVI32 is written in Pascal)

What do you want to learn about hex editing?  Do you know about hexadecimal?
Mainly just codes for color in hexadecimal for website making/editing. Basically I figured I should learn hex editing because it is often used here in looking at some of the files/program of ff7. I figured if I know hex editing better I could use it while programming to help make a few either useful or just entertaining programs for ff7. Or for use in cheat engine. But I basically see it enough times where I think I should get a basic grasp of it.

Yeah one of my books mentioned Pascal. One of the languages one of my books says is worth learning so I figure I should at least dabble in it at a later date.
If you want VB.NET help this might not be the best place because we're not experts. Also, all my code (until PrCMDI gets released) is pretty much a mess by my current standards. It's got some inefficient ways of doing things that you really shouldn't get in the habit of doing.
If you want help with VB, go to www.xtremevbtalk.com. There are lots of helpful people there that know 50 ways of doing any one thing. Pay particular attention to AtmaWeapon. He almost always gives an answer to most questions and his answers will be long and correct.

C++ is still a simple enough language. I learned a lot of it back in high-school and college about a decade ago, but haven't used it since. Consider going with something slightly higher than that like C# or Java.
Well no, no one is an expert at anything but I figured that with so many of the programs we are using having been created in visual studio, that at least the creators (the ones that are still around the boards at least) would have some handy tips. Anyways thank you fo the link to xtremevbtalk and a name of someone to watch out for. I'll be sure to use both so you have my gratitude.

As far is I've heard (and seen on craigslist) C++ is what is used alot in the industry. So I figured it was worth knowing. After that I figured I'd learn Java since it is the top language of this year. My uncle programs mostly in java and my father programs in VB. No not brother programmers, uncle is on my mothers side lol. Pretty much with my family, it was either go in the military, be an artist, or be a programmer. Tried my hand at military, one broken shoulder blade later I'm at programming. And I'm a mediocre artist plus I don't want to be the starving artist type so only having that as a spare hobby that might be helpful at times. After Java though I figure C# should be on my list.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-30 01:23:22 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:10:31 by Jenova's Witness »