Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] Batch extraction of backgrounds  (Read 15776 times)

Yagami Light

• View Profile
Re: [FF8PC-Steam] Batch extraction of backgrounds
« Reply #25 on: 2018-12-28 13:25:52 »
I'm not a fan of making it all dark, anyway heres the same image with manga109 applied to it

blippyp

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2018-12-28 17:40:17 »
Ya, some images it looks good in, while others would need to be 'tuned down' on the effect. like that previous image I posted in the town, I think overall it looks quite well, but in zell's house it looks pretty bad (even considering reshade darkened it up more). But it was the easiest background to change that my current saves let me go to so I used it for an 'in-game' shot.

I really like that manga109 image you posted though, that's a damn nice filter. How do I go about getting my hands on that? I'm not having much luck finding it so far with my initial searches. From what I can tell it's a dataset provided by a college/university or something like that and tbh, it's license might not really apply for using like this from what I've read so far. Do I have to fill out that application form or is there an easier way to use it?

With just a couple quick filters the pixelation on that image can be easily removed, it really requires very little effort to fine tune it, I'd like to see some of the other backgorunds done with it also (I consider this particular background to be one of the worst I've worked with so far tbh):

With just some very minor softening and resharpening of the image produces fantastic results, and that's just one attempt without even really testing our much I should soften or sharpen it up. I think we would be hard pressed to find something better than this to work with, I'd really like to get my hands on it.
« Last Edit: 2018-12-28 18:12:02 by blippyp »

blippyp

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2018-12-28 18:12:44 »
awesome, thx, I'll look into that immediately :)

blippyp

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2018-12-29 22:35:03 »
Really liking this Manga filter so far, have only discovered a couple of images that will likely need to be 'tweaked' further imo. I have developed a process for mass processing at this point and am running it thru my initial testing. I still need to alter the process to also pull the alpha layers from the images as well and rejoin them since the Manga filter outright destroys those, and I still have many images to pull from the source data files, but definitely getting some where now. Even as is, I think this would make for a great background update.

I have processed 15 images so far, it didn't take that long tbh, once I have all the images collected and have the process in place to also preserve the alpha layers, I'm guessing I could process all the images in a day easily. I am currently running another 63 images thru the process and will be adding them to the album I'm posting now. I promised the family I'd take them to the theater, so when I get back I'll likely upload those images then. Although I'm showing at least 35 images have already been processed so I might be able to start uploading them before I leave even.

[EDIT: Those 63 images are uploading now]

Until then, here is the album:
https://imgur.com/a/mjVrfdV

« Last Edit: 2018-12-29 22:54:11 by blippyp »

blippyp

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2018-12-30 19:44:25 »
For those interested, I have moved my discussion to it's own thread since my posts no longer seem to apply here.
Final Fantasy VIII - Graphical Update Mod (WIP)
« Last Edit: 2019-01-01 02:36:37 by blippyp »