Author Topic: 3D Engine Options  (Read 12049 times)

sfx1999

• View Profile
3D Engine Options
« Reply #25 on: 2004-08-03 05:39:23 »
I think playing FF7 with the Far Cry engine would give no significant improvement.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
3D Engine Options
« Reply #26 on: 2004-08-03 09:19:35 »
O_O no way!!!

Think about it.....heavily texture buildings...the green sky of midgar, the feathers on the chocobos and lush green leafage around the world....IT WOULD ROCK!

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
3D Engine Options
« Reply #27 on: 2004-08-03 09:51:27 »
... and it would take 3 years and 10 professionals to make it that way

Cyberman

• View Profile
3D Engine Options
« Reply #28 on: 2004-08-04 03:59:42 »
Quote from: mirex
... and it would take 3 years and 10 professionals to make it that way

LOL Exactly :D

Squenix abandoned the FF7 and FF8 Redo.. so I guess we'll NEVER know.  I wonder if this is because the PS2 is such a PAIN to develope for?

I know Sony had to have a company write an emulator for the PS2 because of the huge amount of developement time involved.  It gave BASIC graphics etc so they could do testing etc.

Cyb

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
3D Engine Options
« Reply #29 on: 2004-08-04 10:27:46 »
Quote from: Cyberman
Squenix abandoned the FF7 and FF8 Redo.. so I guess we'll NEVER know.  I wonder if this is because the PS2 is such a PAIN to develope for?

I seem to recall that when MGS2 got released, the DVD it came with had an interview with Kojima, and he was explaining why the playstations grpahics are not as good as thy could be, due to the fact it is *that* difficult to program for.  But then again...Look what they did with MGS2....I thought when it came out the graphics were the best.  EVER.  I wasn't even interested in the game and thought the graphics were crap because, as everyone knows, magazine shots NEVER to a games graphics justice.

Cyberman

• View Profile
3D Engine Options
« Reply #30 on: 2004-08-04 14:07:50 »
Quote from: Darkdevil
Quote from: Cyberman

I seem to recall that when MGS2 got released, the DVD it came with had an interview with Kojima, and he was explaining why the playstations grpahics are not as good as thy could be, due to the fact it is *that* difficult to program for.  But then again...Look what they did with MGS2....I thought when it came out the graphics were the best.  EVER.  I wasn't even interested in the game and thought the graphics were crap because, as everyone knows, magazine shots NEVER to a games graphics justice.

Typical developement time for PS2 is 2.5 years, this is VERY expensive. A game like FF8 released in 2001 had been in developement for 4 freaking years already. 6 months can mean as much as $500000 or more in a budget.  Longer developement times means a LOT of problems. The Playstation was much easier to develope for by comparison.

Halkun can detail it better than I, as he had PS2 linux.

Even with a dev system and a mounted disk image across a network, the big time waster is going from code to test.  Thus far that elusive easy code game console has eluded most people.

Cyb