Author Topic: Bug-free ff7 pc  (Read 15237 times)

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
Bug-free ff7 pc
« on: 2011-05-11 22:10:37 »
has someone released a patch that fixes all vanilla bugs of Ff7? such as vincent's death penalty or Darkness status useless on enemies. thanks!

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Bug-free ff7 pc
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-12 00:27:43 »
I don't think so. There are yet much.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-12 09:06:29 »
Firstly, as this is for the PC version's bugs, I've moved this to troubleshooting.

My FF7: Plus patch will resolve *some* issues, specifically:

* MDef issue
* AI problems
* Mis-spellings

I say it's mine, but it's based on other people's research. Gemini, for instance, was kind enough to show us how to change the MDef routines and find an appropriate codecave in some unused strings. El Nino provided a strong case to show that Ruby's AI is glitched.

If anyone else is prepared to show us how to fix the DP glitch and W-Item issue, I'd be very interested.

As for darkness, I did kick around the idea of just implementing an AI script that gives any blind enemy the fury status. Players wouldn't notice because you can't give hypers / tranqs. to enemies without exploiting confusion (a really obscure trick). But it's not quite the same thing, and it falls apart if the user applies certain mods.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-12 09:19:13 »
right. I had missed that. will check it out and thank you very much. I had almost forgotten about that Mdef bug (made tough ring completely useless, right?)

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-12 13:30:52 »
If the MDef bug is the one I think he's talking about (the one I fixed almost two years ago) then it doesn't affect the tough ring. The Wizard Bracelet, however, would be mostly worthless without the 4 links it provides.

What's the DP glitch?

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-12 13:42:35 »
Death Penalty glitch. after killing a HUGE number of enemies it is possible, for example, to kill the emerald weapon in 1 shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovxL1wdjtI&feature=related

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-12 14:05:24 »
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. I was thinking Destiny Points like in Dissidia (thank goodness they did away with that system in Duodecim!).

That would be handled during the damage calculations, but I still haven't found where those are. I'll look into it. It's probably something where mov cx, var_XX should have been used instead of mov ecx, var_XX. That would cap it off and prevent that overflow.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-12 15:12:04 »
Bosola, is it possible I could use your patches (some of them) as options in our installer?  I want to one day make a hardcore mod that would automatically fix the issues.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-05-12 15:17:21 »
and I myself would love a bug-free version as a start to develop my mod from.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2011-05-12 15:38:51 »
Bosola, is it possible I could use your patches (some of them) as options in our installer?  I want to one day make a hardcore mod that would automatically fix the issues.

Sure thing. Most of this stuff is based on information others have researched and made public anyway. Like the AI fixes, which are responses to bugs researched by Terence Ferguson, etc.

A quick caveat: FF7 plus is for PSX. But many of the changes will port without issue.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-05-12 15:47:55 »
Ah yes, it is PSX.  Is there a project to do the same with PC.  If not I will look into it and make a list of bugs that need fixing.  Do you have any documentation that will help, somewhere?  You say that some of the PSX fixes will go over to the PC easy enough, so do you have the fixes listed somewhere (like documented how-to)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-05-12 17:51:29 »
Do we really need a new patch for the mdef bug? I thought Aali's driver already fixed that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-05-12 19:50:30 »
It does but I'd rather have a fix anyway for when I force it with hardcore mod. 

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-05-12 20:58:33 »
that and being able to implement more fixes.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #14 on: 2011-05-12 21:05:54 »
It does but I'd rather have a fix anyway for when I force it with hardcore mod.

I "detail" how to fix MDef for PC in this post. It's not that clear. If you want more detail I can provide.

Dark_Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-05-12 21:09:20 »
I "detail" how to fix MDef for PC in this post. It's not that clear. If you want more detail I can provide.
creator of godsend utilities and bugfixer. what would we do without you ;)

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-05-12 21:19:48 »
If anyone else is prepared to show us how to fix the DP glitch and W-Item issue, I'd be very interested.
Do you mean the glitch that allows you to use w-item to duplicate item's ? i was working on that awhile ago and i did manage to make it so the game didn't duplicate items when canceling (although you still loose a item if you cancel using w-item after selecting the first item and going to the second) for the PC version of the game.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #17 on: 2011-05-13 02:11:39 »
creator of godsend utilities and bugfixer. what would we do without you ;)

Probably do it yourselves. I believe in you! ;)

Do you mean the glitch that allows you to use w-item to duplicate item's ? i was working on that awhile ago and i did manage to make it so the game didn't duplicate items when canceling (although you still loose a item if you cancel using w-item after selecting the first item and going to the second) for the PC version of the game.

I was looking for that function all day today. Where is it?

INSTA-Edit®:
It just occurred to me that the W-Item function is probably bugged out more than we might have thought. I have no way of testing this right now so tell me if I'm wrong. Let me explain this in a hypothetical scenario.

Say you have two living party members and a dead one. You get in a battle with three....head hunters and it's a pre-emptive attack. The first character, let's call him "Barret", gets to go first and queues up Fire3->All on the head hunters. Immediately afterward, character two, call her "Yuffie", with W-Item in hand selects Phoenix Down & Elixir to use on the dead character, call him "Cloud", while "Barret" is dancing with Fire3. "Yuffie" was thinking 'Fire3 won't kill all those head hunters. "Barret's" got a weak Magic stat.' Lo and behold, Fire3 DOES kill the head hunters and the still alive characters perform the obligatory "Victory Dance". Now "Yuffie", still feeling sorry for "Cloud", decides that he's no good to them dead and goes into the out-of-battle item menu to PD the dead guy only to find that she's suddenly down one that she had when she was trying to select it. This was because the W-Item absorbed the PD she thought she was getting out at the beginning when she it queued up during the battle.

Does this happen or am I shouting nonsense?
« Last Edit: 2011-05-13 02:24:09 by NFITC1 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-05-13 04:32:00 »
Are we certain it is a bug... and not an intentional cheat :P  Not that I am complaining of its removal.. imho it needs to go.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-05-13 11:59:34 »
I was looking for that function all day today. Where is it?

Well it was work i did quite awhile ago so i can't remember exactly how i came to it but the increase seemed to be from the address 006DB691, i made a DLL this morning which should just NOP the command at that address for anyone who wants to try it but i will say it was work i did awhile ago and it wasn't fully tested.
http://www.mediafire.com/?vb5bywskqe33yki
(to use the DLL use the "load_library = " command in Aali's driver, and if you already are using 1 DLL you can get a Multi DLL loader from my FF7anyCD thread)

zaphod77

• View Profile
    • Super Сasual Dating Real Women
« Reply #20 on: 2011-05-18 07:04:40 »
I am certain w-item is not an intentional cheat.

If it were, it wouldn't be possible to lose items if you are careless with it.

They fixed nothing but a few translations when they ported to pc, and left all the logic errors intact it seems.

The bug is canceling form the targetting screen resets both if you are using the second, but the giving the item back is NOT performed if you cancel out of the first one's targetting phase.

If it were an intentional cheat, the case of cancelling the first item after targetting would work fine.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #21 on: 2011-05-18 12:10:44 »
They fixed nothing but a few translations when they ported to pc, and left all the logic errors intact it seems.

If I understand my FF history correctly, Squaresoft wouldn't let Eidos change any of the code. They just wanted it to go from the PSX to the PC. The only thing allowed to be changed were texts. I get this restriction a lot at my job: "make it work on the new hardware the way it did on the old hardware" regardless of the state of it on the old one.