Author Topic: Remake Petition  (Read 23123 times)

LegendarySaiyan

• PS3OnlineID: LegendarySaiyan
    • View Profile
Re: Remake Petition
« Reply #25 on: 2006-07-21 14:27:42 »

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006-07-21 18:56:54 »
Mental exercise: Count all online petitions that have ever accomplished anything, except annoy people.

It was supposed to be a MENTAL excercise.

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006-07-23 22:58:57 »
Petitions are great!

I'm thinking of starting my very own!

The Great "Strictly Forbid any More Fracking Petitions!" Petition!

And once I have more than 100 signatures, I'll give it to Mr. George Bush! He's the president of the world, he'll listen to me and know what to do with it!

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006-07-24 03:06:33 »
Petitions are great!

I'm thinking of starting my very own!

The Great "Strictly Forbid any More Fracking Petitions!" Petition!

And once I have more than 100 signatures, I'll give it to Mr. George Bush! He's the president of the world, he'll listen to me and know what to do with it!

Oooh!  Where do I sign? :-D

The Pezman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006-08-13 07:39:23 »
Damn I feel old... and I'm not even twenty.

The Adventure game hit its prime in the early nineties.  Unlike most games of today, it relied almost exclusively upon the mind of the player.  Very little action, and oftentimes a ridiculous amount of work to figure out the puzzles (though the later games eased up a bit).  The challenge stemmed from recognizing when to use the correct item or action in the correct situation.  Now to set the record straight:

Sierra made....

King's Quest I - VIII (though VIII was not an adventure game and I am loath to speak of it)

Space Quest I - VI

Torin's Passage

Leisure Suit Larry

The Incredible Machine/Sid and Al's Incredible Toons (not adventure games but too awesome to leave out)

Lucasarts made....

Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle

Full Throttle

The Dig

Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Monkey Island Series

LOOM

And most of these games are still playable, thanks to http://www.scummvm.org/

griever

« Reply #30 on: 2006-08-17 13:44:22 »
Well I for one, would like to see Final Fantasy VII remade for the PS3, even if it isn't as good as the original. Don't get me wrong, i love the original FF7, but doesn't the idea of Uber-Graphic-FF7 strike anyone's fancy? Sure it may not have a few of the exploits (W-Item dupe etc...) that the original has, but it would be nice to see all the characters in FF7:AC style graphics... Perhaps talking too?

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #31 on: 2006-08-17 16:39:54 »
Its not that no one wants a remake, just that the probability of a pettion working is basicaly nothing.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006-08-18 19:54:59 »
Well I for one, would like to see Final Fantasy VII remade for the PS3
Lately, S-E has been doing a TON of remakes for the GBA and DS. By the end of next year, the first six final fantasy games will all be playable on the DS in some form or another. Based on this trend, it'd seem to me that they're more likely to remake it for the DS if anything, especially given the DS's tremendous popularity in Japan and rising popularity in the US.

Herpderp Mcderp

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006-08-21 00:05:06 »
hmmmm personally It'd be better if they skipped a remake and made a proper ff7 sequel with a better battle system and more side content, oh and one more thing, ability to start the game with ff7 1 saves and ahve the monsters adjusted to match a level 70-80 save and give the ability to lvl to 200 from an ff7 1 save

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006-08-21 00:21:01 »
Myounage, to do that they'd have to make the sequal for the PS1. I suppose they could do that with a PC sequal, but I don't think PS2 or PS3 games can read PS1 saves, and I KNOW that Microsoft and Nintendo systems can't read PS1 saves.

edit: I know this is late, but I meant "Microsoft and Nintendo".
« Last Edit: 2006-08-26 02:39:22 by Covarr »

Herpderp Mcderp

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006-08-21 00:28:11 »
actually Sony stated that they will make the ps3 able to read ps2 and ps1 saves(probably with periphials), jsut like the ps2 could read ps1 memcards.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006-08-21 02:39:07 »
Lately, S-E has been doing a TON of remakes for the GBA and DS. By the end of next year, the first six final fantasy games will all be playable on the DS in some form or another. Based on this trend, it'd seem to me that they're more likely to remake it for the DS if anything, especially given the DS's tremendous popularity in Japan and rising popularity in the US.
It's possible too do and most likely.  They would have to do a complete rewrite save for the script likely.  The script could be just transformed to a new engine.

The biggest problem would be all the data fitting in a something as small as 128Mbyte cart.  It's unlikely at best for that too happen.  The data on the PS1 was compressed save for the movies.  Roughly 340Mbytes of data then the movies.  If they changed the background data and a few other things they could cut it down to roughly 150Mbytes.  FF7 is a massive game even with compression.  I suppose they could save space and use animated cut scenes instead of video's.  It's a very expensive idea to be honest.  Likely 2 to 3 years of work.

Cyb

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006-08-26 02:41:41 »
Myounage, I didn't mean the machine itself can't read PS1 saves, I meant that PS3 GAMES probably can't read the old memory card.

richieg261

« Reply #38 on: 2006-08-30 23:11:05 »
I know this is unrelated but King's Quest VI: Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow (made by Sierra) was my first "favourite" game; which has since been surpassed by both Myst and Riven and Final Fantasy VII. In fact, I still got it *cheers*! Seriously, I recommend people to go play this game. However, on a Mac you do get plenty of bomb outs due to "bus error" or "floating-point error", so get the DOS version.

On a more FF-savvy note, I don't quite understand why people want an FF remake. I take FFVII as it is, an absolute masterful piece of gaming brillience, the most revolutionary step from 16-bit to 32-bit gaming, the de-facto standard of RPGs for years, still one of the greatest games not just of its time, but even still to this day. I look at the graphics now and, okay, whilst very dated and the quirks of little mistakes here and there, just add to the game.

Just think of it like a Matrix movie, would you really want to risk forever tarnishing the original by producing and promoting a product directly related to it, only for it to not live up to the high expectations.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #39 on: 2006-09-06 04:53:56 »
[EDIT]
Oh, there is a second page in this topic and people are no longer talking about Sierra’s roots.
Oh well, I wrote all of this and I am not erasing it.
[/EDIT]

I happened upon a great deal of knowledge regarding Sierra in my closet.
It turned out that I had originally gotten this knowledge as a result of being a fan of Starsiege: Tribes for many years, and lived the history as it was happening.

What I know is more related to Dynamix, however.

Dynamix was its own company in Oregon at the start.
Sierra purchased Dynamix in 1990, and was its own company at the time.
After an internal scandal in Sierra, the company took a major shift and was acquired by Vivendi Universal in 1998.
The studio was broken into branches, with the original Dynamix being one of them.
Dynamix developed Starsiege: Tribes, which is considered by all living objects to be the best game in the history of history.
Sierra produced the game and was happy with the results, but internal troubles still existed.

Soon after, they were letting go of their subsidiary companies, but kept the Starsiege: Tribes team around to create its sequel, Tribes 2.

Tribes 2 was such a flop you had to download megs of patches just to play it for the first time out of the box.

Sierra On-line closed Dynamix in 2001 and headed for nothing but a downward spiral from there.

They changed their name to Sierra Entertainment afterwards.

Vivendi Universal kept Sierra Entertainment, but laid off all of its staff and hired a completely new group.  Literally, it was a new company that just held the same name, as they hoped to play off the success of Sierra Entertainment’s previous titles.

This did not go over well with fans, many of whom simply stopped buying Vivendi Universal games.

The old Dynamix team remained in Oregon and created what we know today as GarageGames.
Starsiege: Tribes sported a subset of what is known today as the Torque engine.

L. Spiro

Asdayasman13

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006-09-06 18:27:37 »
It'd be much easier for them to remake FFVII for the PSP besides the obvious problem of there not being enough buttons.  I suppose they could make an option in config for the "Target" thing in battle.  Umm...  What else do R+L2 do?

In any case, getting VII to fit on 1.8GB (UMD) would be a lot easier than on a 128 [EDIT] MB [/EDIT] card.
« Last Edit: 2006-09-06 18:30:54 by Asdayasman13 »

zaphod77

• View Profile
    • Super Сasual Dating Real Women
« Reply #41 on: 2006-09-18 06:16:28 »
ps2 games can read and write ps1 saves. i know this for a FACT.

every DDR for ps2 in the usa does it. they can import and export edits to us psx versions of the game.

and in a similar fashing ps3 games should be able to get to ps2 cards and ps1 card.

another game that will ead ps1 saves is duelist of the roses, which when it ses a yu-gi-oh forvidden memories save, will do something special.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006-09-18 07:02:36 »
Except that the PS3 is being designed in such a way that really it's two consoles in one; the PS2 hardware and the PS3 hardware seem to be almost entirely seperate on the inside. We won't know for sure until the machine is released.

That aside, my response was more telling Myounage that a potential sequal couldn't be for the DS, Wii, or PSP and include the features he mentioned, than it was to say that it would be entirely impossible.

CaptainNoobtastic

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006-10-06 15:34:46 »
Theres a spelling error on the petition...

"Eight years after it's release, we have begun to notice that the original game, unlike many older games, does not age well. This is do to many factors, some of which include the following:
The original English translation is broken in some aspects which makes some story elements confusing. "

its SHOULD be due

Little mistakes like that will make the whole petition a waste of time.

Synergy Blades

« Reply #44 on: 2006-10-06 15:51:46 »
Not that it isn't a waste of time anyway, given that in all likelihood it won't make a blind bit of difference to SE's plans. Anyway, for the second time today, I'll remind people not to resurrect topics more than a couple of weeks old. Thanks.

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006-11-11 01:32:45 »
i have a feeling i don't want them to remake it.
FF7 is FF7. I'm afraid they will change it too much and it won't be FF7 (yeah wrap your brain around that, you know what i mean)
if they do it and it sucks i will pretend it does'nt exist and continue indulge myself in the creations of the Qhimm community.

Agreed. It's a miracle how things can change when moving onto new platform.  :roll: I'll be fine with good 'ol version.

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006-11-11 14:29:05 »

don't revive dead topics...

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006-11-11 17:07:24 »
don't revive dead topics...

So, i should make a new topic, perhaps?

Mod Edit: Yes, you should. Besides, do not quote images.
« Last Edit: 2006-11-12 20:22:20 by Alhexx »

Synergy Blades

« Reply #48 on: 2006-11-12 09:51:12 »
If it doesn't contribute anything new or interesting, you might want to think about not posting it at all.

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006-11-12 20:31:39 »
If it doesn't contribute anything new or interesting, you might want to think about not posting it at all.

Just wanted to say my opinion, but if it's forbidden, a'ight, i respect the rules.