Author Topic: FF8 Enhancing  (Read 222171 times)

Mantis

• View Profile
Re: Get the Most Out of FF8 (PC Version)
« Reply #50 on: 2006-11-07 15:35:06 »
It's not the black box problem. It's horizontal lines. But I'll try the patches anyway and get back to you if it doesn't work. Thanks.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2006-11-29 22:19:54 »
HELLO!!!

Whoa it's been AGES since I visited here, hehe! Hope your all doing fine!  :-D

I got reminded about the forums when coming on a possible fix for this FF8 black box problem. Apparently someone has managed to fix it using the GeForce 6 range of cards using hardware mode by patching it with the official 1.2 fix, however NOT the nVidia patch but the ATi one... I haven't tried it yet but it's apparently worked for someone so good luck if it does!  :wink:

Jari

« Reply #52 on: 2006-11-29 22:46:27 »
There is an ATi patch for FF8? :-o

xeriouxi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2006-11-30 05:09:58 »
Not as far as I know, hehehe!

I think the guy must have meant the non-nVidia patch... hope this works!  :roll:

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2006-12-07 20:35:45 »
Ati owners can be pround right now.

Download Ati tray tools

http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189/

Download it and select options:

D3d:

1) Adaptive Antialiasing and put in quality mode.
2) Select 6x Antialiasing
3)  A- Anisotropic Filter 8x or 16x/
     B- Quality with full trilianiar
     C- Enable hi- Quality AF
4) Texture preference - High Quality
5) MipMap High Quality
6) Adicional options: Tick all
7) Optimations: Tick all

Go to settings to tune all.

Run FFVIII with non- Geforce cards et voila!: All perfect!

xeriouxi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2006-12-08 02:45:46 »
Wish I had an ATi card now... XD

As for the fix, I can't see anything that can possibly fix it then aside from a patch of some kind. Would any of the possibilities below assist in creating one?

• Compare the FF7.exe with the 1.02 version to see what was changed [assuming that the 8-bit fix was bought in through 1.02] to see if it helps with the FF8.exe fix
  • Convert the 8-bit textures to 16-bit [though I heard this might not work]
  • See if anywhere in the FF8.exe it asks for something 8-bit related and change it to 16-bit?

Yeah they probably all suck as I don't know too much about programming or how it works, but someone has got to know a way to fix this. If it could be done on the older FF7.exe then this shouldn't be too much harder. No programmers skilled ennough to be able to find the problem or it need a proper game programmer? =(

#Sen-chan#

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2006-12-15 17:30:09 »
Rather than start a new thread, I hope this one isn't dead and I'll ask here.

I have read the fixes to get anti-aliasing to work with a geforce, but the geforce card I have is not the one listed. I have a 7600, a card I really like. I didn't do the riva thing yet. In fact, all I did to try (before I did a lot of unnecessary work) was set my graphic card settings for anti-aliasing on it. I didn't see any different results, not like the screenshots the people posted here.

I was just wondering, before I do the riva things (I'm assuming this is a driver?), if anyone has gotten anti-aliasing on FF8 (hopefully it won't screw up ff7) to work on an nvidia geforce 7600 GS

EDIT: Okay, after system restoring my computer several times in the last few minutes, I have determined that for an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS with the Asus driver 91.47, in order for FFVIII to register your settings (regardless of Rivatuner) with antialiasing, you must have hardware instead of software mode set. However, this brings the black boxes that everyone seems to have. So, I guess for us people that have this card, unless there's a workaround which seems very unlikely considering my extensive searching, we're sorta stuck with either living with the black boxes or having no antialiasing. I like this set of drivers, so I have no interest in putting in Omega drivers or going down to a lower version, like some have suggested. Which is a real pity, since the game looks so beautiful with antialiasing.
« Last Edit: 2006-12-17 17:03:23 by #Sen-chan# »

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2006-12-17 20:03:36 »
Haven't read the whole thread, but is somone able to put in MP3's instead of the crappy Midi's?
I did some re-renders of the tracks in-game. I consider this one one of the best. I did some FF7 ones a year ago. Maybe some of you remember.

Well, enjoy the render ;)
-NeoS.

Jari

« Reply #58 on: 2006-12-17 20:18:28 »
If I were to assume that you didn't read this thread by #Sen-chan# either, I would be right, wouldn't I? :-D

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2006-12-17 21:36:07 »
Pretty accurate Mr. jari.  :-D
Bummer... Oh well. I have some FF7's too.

AxeR

« Reply #60 on: 2007-01-11 14:07:16 »
I have the Nvidia geforce fx5700
i tried all of the parametrers described in the post (in the greatest ff7 faq too) but nothing of these works in my nvidia card..
are there any solution for me?
thanks

Winter

« Reply #61 on: 2007-01-24 13:29:09 »
I've got GF 7300GT, is there possibility to fix those black boxes in FF8 in D3D mode?

xeriouxi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2007-02-02 00:45:41 »
I've looked around an awful lot to see how people are progressing with fixing this... and that's just the problem. It seems all people are doing is querying how the search is coming along and nobody is even working on a fix for it. I see only 2 options... either a huge mass spam email attack to the developer (MUAHAHA! :evil:) or a very good coder comes along and does what FF7 had done to it and somehow edit the executable. Is there not anyone on these forums who is talented enough to do something like this, maybe reverse engineering or something like that? ^^

steven

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2007-02-15 20:42:17 »
I've looked around an awful lot to see how people are progressing with fixing this... and that's just the problem. It seems all people are doing is querying how the search is coming along and nobody is even working on a fix for it. I see only 2 options... either a huge mass spam email attack to the developer (MUAHAHA! :evil:) or a very good coder comes along and does what FF7 had done to it and somehow edit the executable. Is there not anyone on these forums who is talented enough to do something like this, maybe reverse engineering or something like that? ^^
You have to relise that not enough is known about the pc ver of ff8 to do that yet. It took years to get to were they are now to do this shit in ff7 so you need to eather learn how to do it yourself or quite bitching.

ps: since ff8 is not as popular as 7 it will take a lot longer :(

xeriouxi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2007-02-15 21:40:07 »
I wasn't bitching I was simply making a point...

Just to stop all the pointless posts asking if there is a fix.

SephirothClone

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2007-02-15 23:23:13 »
how do I setup the configuration zip file for this?

Turc

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2007-02-16 07:32:19 »
Too bad the emulation of FF8 isn't perfect, along with the graphics engine. Artifacts occur quite a bit, as depicted in the picture below:

In combat

Rancid Cheese

• Uhh this Cheese ain't fresh at all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2007-04-11 14:18:24 »
Ok! Just re-installed FFVIII and I'm looking for tips on how to mod it I see from the post before mine that it's possible to have Squall and Selphie wear their SeeD Exam uniforms which I always preferred so any tips hints?

sipantek

« Reply #68 on: 2007-04-12 18:36:41 »
I've got a problem even when I am running Final fantasy 8 on software renderer, during boss fights there will be 2 lines on top and bottom of my screens keep on flashing... anybody get this prob? my graphic card is Nvidia 6600 LE agp slot

luciodeath

Re: STICKY: FF8 Enhancing
« Reply #69 on: 2007-07-16 17:47:30 »
To sumarize it in one sentence:
How do i solve the black boxes issue??

My video card is a Geforce FX5200...

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #70 on: 2007-07-17 00:09:05 »
The only known solutions for the black box problem are...
 - For GeForce FX 5xxx cards, using older drivers may help (5x.xx or 6x.xx range).  Newer cards are out of luck.
 - On any graphics card, you can switch to software rendering in FF8config to use your CPU for drawing the graphics rather than your graphics card, and this will solve the problem.

luciodeath

« Reply #71 on: 2007-07-19 12:19:53 »
nevermind, i solved the problem.
if anyone needs help with the blac boxes just contact me at my email and i can possibly help you

Jari

« Reply #72 on: 2007-07-19 16:36:03 »
Yes... because who on Earth would make a post in a *gasp* public forum about such a thing? That might even help people! Unheard of!

But nevermind, you are just searching for working email addys so you could sell them to spammers. Because that is the only logical explanation for your behaviour.

luciodeath

« Reply #73 on: 2007-07-19 17:41:34 »
god
i'm just trying to help someone in need. by the way you should have done the same when i posted here asking for help. asshole

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #74 on: 2007-07-19 17:43:51 »
What he's getting at is, if you have a solution, you should post it rather than ask people to contact you for it.