Author Topic: Seriously, what?  (Read 31013 times)

lyada

• Gimme Elixier
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously, what?
« Reply #50 on: 2009-10-06 00:29:28 »
Just a few (hundred) were deleted.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009-10-06 01:51:51 »
I come back and I have Seifer PM me looking for support to his cause.

Is it *that* hard to appoint a new, active global moderator? I think the forum needs a new bunch of mods to handle people like hermoor and seifer, because they simply can't understand that they lost whatever right they had to complain about this forum by relentlessly spamming it.

Qhimm, please. I've on this forum since '03. I got banned on my original account for making a bunch of silly posts here that today are commonplace. This forum gradually jumped from being too strict to too lenient. Get some new mods, and admins, and let them run this place. Appoint halkun as head admin, and appoint a new bunch of mods, and I would be happy. While I disagree with halkun's rules on discussion of ripped models (because Square isn't going to lawsuit us over ripped models and more for stuff like the PRP or Team Avalanche's 2D Overaul), he's by far the most well-positioned to lay down the rules for the mods to enforce.

If no one does anything I'd suggest the users of this forum should set up shop elsewhere.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009-10-06 02:05:50 »
where else do you suggest? I quite like it here

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009-10-06 02:19:45 »
Stop complaining. If you dont like the way the forum is run then you are not forced to be here. Same goes to anyone else that has a problem with the way things are run.

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009-10-06 02:24:54 »
OMG! I've been offline for the weekend and I have only one thing to say!

Gratz Ammo for ur promotion! I'm really happy with it!

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009-10-06 03:31:30 »
where else do you suggest? I quite like it here

Make a new forum, really.

Stop complaining. If you dont like the way the forum is run then you are not forced to be here. Same goes to anyone else that has a problem with the way things are run.

I am 'complaining' because I quite like this forum, and it's sad to see it go to waste. And please, the 'don't like it, leave' argument(?) is overused. Get some real arguments.

OMG! I've been offline for the weekend and I have only one thing to say!

Gratz Ammo for ur promotion! I'm really happy with it!

I hadn't noticed! Well, there goes the halkun thing. While I don't mind Jari, it's his third account already, and he has a penchant to raise shitstorms (and yes, I was around for 'that story'). Let's hope that the third time really is the charm.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009-10-06 03:34:22 »
Appoint halkun as head admin, and appoint a new bunch of mods, and I would be happy... he's by far the most well-positioned to lay down the rules for the mods to enforce.

Actually, I agree with this.   Halkun is basically the only active mod or admin left (with the exception of whatever position El Ammo now holds), and in my mind would be the best pick for an admin position given his long membership as a mod here (if he wants the job of course)

As for other moderators, I very much liked Jari's idea of having mod accounts be anonymous so as to avoid any special treatment from members.

Spoiled kids are bound to turn up from time to time, and like Bosque said, the rule enforcement around here has dropped significantly from what it used to be.  Hell, for the short time I've been here I can remember regular members chastising anyone who broke even the smallest rule.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009-10-06 03:37:35 »
Ok here is an argument for you. If something annoys you on the forum ignore it. Who cares if people are having a flame war in the completely unrelated area? People come here for info on modding final fantasy games. For that matter dont even look at the completely unrelated forum if you have a problem with it. All the other forums are kept in check quite well by halkun. Bitching and whining helps nobody so why dont you come to the modding forum so we can have a discussion about something that matters, making final fantasy even more awesome  :-)

Jari

« Reply #58 on: 2009-10-06 03:51:44 »
I come back and I have Seifer PM me looking for support to his cause.

Is it *that* hard to appoint a new, active global moderator? I think the forum needs a new bunch of mods to handle people like hermoor and seifer, because they simply can't understand that they lost whatever right they had to complain about this forum by relentlessly spamming it.

Yes, yes it is exactly that hard.

Right now it's quite impossible, actually. Do read my posts, please. Qhimm is in no position to spend his time here, at this moment, or very likely in the next weeks. How many weeks, I do not know, depends on stuff, I'd say.

Yes, after Seifer's first rampage there were quite a few people volunteering. There's just one tiny snag with that; would you appoint someone who has been on the boards for only few months? Or someone who is known to be affiliated with the recently banned person? Or someone who just registered to tell us he'd like to volunteer? There weren't very many so-called known quantities.

Most of the people we'd consider best candidates do not post here that much anymore, are busy with their lives, and perhaps most importantly; did not volunteer. At least I'm terribly wary of asking people to moderate, in the case we happen to accidentally put them on a guilt trip by pleading to their sense of duty.

Newsflash: moderating isn't particularly rewarding. It'll burn you out, sooner or later. Dealing with asshats like Seifer and Hermie, that would be sooner.

Qhimm, please. I've on this forum since '03. I got banned on my original account for making a bunch of silly posts here that today are commonplace. This forum gradually jumped from being too strict to too lenient. Get some new mods, and admins, and let them run this place. Appoint halkun as head admin, and appoint a new bunch of mods, and I would be happy. While I disagree with halkun's rules on discussion of ripped models (because Square isn't going to lawsuit us over ripped models and more for stuff like the PRP or Team Avalanche's 2D Overaul), he's by far the most well-positioned to lay down the rules for the mods to enforce.

Question first; would you like to tell us what your banned username was? I'm asking this because - like I said - there were members wanting to be moderators coming out of the woodwork after Seifer's first rampage, some of them claimed that they had been reading the forums for this or that amount of time, but never registered. Forgive us of being more than little skeptical of their motives.

I'm just curious whether you have actually been here before, or if you are merely Seifer's attempt at social hacking. Not that it would particularly matter, but I'm curious. :-)

I for one approve of the current line in the non-technical (and technical, for that matter) forums. Yes, it's much more lax than it used to be. On the other hand, it's not that different from how it was during 2000-2001. It somehow seems that we even got our good old Joey back, in the form of Harruzame. :-P And guess what? Harruzame is not getting nearly the kind of abuse Joey got back in the day. If there's one thing I feel bad about those days; it's how Joey was treated, and this might be one of the few things I agree with Nori, actually.

Intertubes themselves are changing. Like it or not, places like /b/ do affect and change the entire net, with their relentless meme-making and stuff. It's not the SRS BSNS it used to be 10 years ago. The serious side, and the not-so-serious side are converging, slowly but surely.

This place doesn't actually need a bunch of mods. It doesn't even have material to get bunch of mods, for that matter.

As for halkun; he actually volunteered to be a super moderator. I told Qhimm 'no' in a heartbeat. And don't take that in the sense that I'd give orders, it's just my opinion, and a fairly strong one. He is doing absolutely great job in the tech forums, and is entirely correct in his view about the ripped models (and yes, that means that the lot of you are wrong, stop bringing it up, not going to change). He can also be - IMHO - very trigger happy, and occasionally loses context, acting on the consequences alone, rather than the cause. Which in turn can cause more grief. Not only that, but perhaps more importantly; there's only so much one man can do, and adding to that workload is not wise - it would be really stupid to lose perhaps the best moderator the Tech sections have ever had just by adding more and more to his workload.

I'd say that let halkun do what he currently does. He's very good at it, maybe the best there has ever been.

If no one does anything I'd suggest the users of this forum should set up shop elsewhere.

Oh, you are one of them. Well, I'll tell you the same I told to MrAdults; door's that way. We ain't stopping you.

« Reply #59 on: 2009-10-06 03:54:49 »
Then there are people (nerds.. cough cough) like me who are here everyday.. . :roll:
who are utter newbs. :D.. and aren't fit to be mods..
Ammo... i am insulted you forgot my category .  :wink:

edit:
though I my self, have been a moderator on a few forums... one was a  friend of mines forums.. .it wasn't that taxing...
but then again that forum was about 30 people... no where near as big as qhimms...
« Last Edit: 2009-10-06 04:02:32 by BrokenCrowe »

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009-10-06 04:19:42 »
Ok here is an argument for you. If something annoys you on the forum ignore it.

If there's a leaky pipe around the house, I don't ignore it, I fix it. Why ignore a problem when it can be fixed, and rather easily I might add?

Who cares if people are having a flame war in the completely unrelated area? People come here for info on modding final fantasy games.

The whole Seifer saga started because people disagreed with his translations. Unless I'm mistaken here...

Also the whole Seifer saga could've been avoided if instead of egging him on, he was just banned once he came back with one of his accounts.

For that matter dont even look at the completely unrelated forum if you have a problem with it. All the other forums are kept in check quite well by halkun. b*tching and whining helps nobody so why dont you come to the modding forum so we can have a discussion about something that matters, making final fantasy even more awesome  :-)

"Completly Unrelated" is a part of these forums, and as such, I would like to see it treated with dignity. If there's one thing I keep seeing, is the off-topic boards in forums having their problems contained at first, then infecting the rest of the forum.

Yes, after Seifer's first rampage there were quite a few people volunteering. There's just one tiny snag with that; would you appoint someone who has been on the boards for only few months?

Definitely. Stagnation is the greatest enemy of a sucessful forum. Plus, the user pool here is not bad at all. Better to have good, but not perfect, mods, than to let anarchy reign.

Or someone who is known to be affiliated with the recently banned person? Or someone who just registered to tell us he'd like to volunteer? There weren't very many so-called known quantities.

Of course not.

Most of the people we'd consider best candidates do not post here that much anymore, are busy with their lives, and perhaps most importantly; did not volunteer. At least I'm terribly wary of asking people to moderate, in the case we happen to accidentally put them on a guilt trip by pleading to their sense of duty.

If the "best candidates" are made of the old-school users of this forum, I'll just copy/paste what I was saying above about forum stagnation.

Newsflash: moderating isn't particularly rewarding. It'll burn you out, sooner or later. Dealing with asshats like Seifer and Hermie, that would be sooner.

Ban them on sight. Don't give them any more chances. They'll give up, sooner or later.

Question first; would you like to tell us what your banned username was? I'm asking this because - like I said - there were members wanting to be moderators coming out of the woodwork after Seifer's first rampage, some of them claimed that they had been reading the forums for this or that amount of time, but never registered. Forgive us of being more than little skeptical of their motives.
I'm just curious whether you have actually been here before, or if you are merely Seifer's attempt at social hacking. Not that it would particularly matter, but I'm curious.

I can perfectly understand your concerns. PM sent.

Intertubes themselves are changing. Like it or not, places like /b/ do affect and change the entire net, with their relentless meme-making and stuff. It's not the SRS BSNS it used to be 10 years ago. The serious side, and the not-so-serious side are converging, slowly but surely.

This place doesn't actually need a bunch of mods. It doesn't even have material to get bunch of mods, for that matter.

I myself thought the forums were too strict back then. And there are a few users here I see fit to becoming moderators.

As for halkun; he actually volunteered to be a super moderator. I told Qhimm 'no' in a heartbeat. And don't take that in the sense that I'd give orders, it's just my opinion, and a fairly strong one. He is doing absolutely great job in the tech forums, and is entirely correct in his view about the ripped models (and yes, that means that the lot of you are wrong, stop bringing it up, not going to change). He can also be - IMHO - very trigger happy, and occasionally loses context, acting on the consequences alone, rather than the cause. Which in turn can cause more grief. Not only that, but perhaps more importantly; there's only so much one man can do, and adding to that workload is not wise - it would be really stupid to lose perhaps the best moderator the Tech sections have ever had just by adding more and more to his workload.

Fair enough, then. And about the ripped models thing: I have the right to disagree. It probably won't change, but after witnessing the insane "ethics" code that the MUGEN community used (up to a point where some users were unhappy at the permanent warzone the biggest international MUGEN forum was, took control of the forum and decided to return to the roots... I could go on about it for ages, so I'll just leave it at this), I don't want to see this forum turn into something similar.

Oh, you are one of them. Well, I'll tell you the same I told to MrAdults; door's that way. We ain't stopping you.

That is only the last case scenario. It really isn't that hard to get this forum going, without being either too strict or too lenient.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009-10-06 04:29:34 »

Most of the people we'd consider best candidates do not post here that much anymore, are busy with their lives, and perhaps most importantly; did not volunteer.
Well in that case, I volunteer  :-)

I'm just curious whether you have actually been here before
Also curious  :-P

That's what I like so much about this place.  The ridiculous 1337 and "internet speak" didn't happen.  Grammar is kept in check, along with attitudes (for the most part).  Granted /b/ is usually good for some laughs, but if the these forums become the same... qhimm will no longer be the special haven I once regarded it as.

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2009-10-06 04:31:10 »
Also curious  :-P

I think Jari there can give you his word on me being legit.

I'm off to sleep: nighty night!

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2009-10-06 04:31:27 »
My opinion: let halkun and ammo be mods for all forums (banhammer included). And ppl plz stop talking about facts that its already on the past. Seifer is gone and also Hermoor, and RIGHT NOW i'm sure if they try to show up again... ammo is watching, and so is halkun. They can perfectly work together to solve this kind of issues... so.. move on plz...

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2009-10-06 04:41:52 »

If there's a leaky pipe around the house, I don't ignore it, I fix it. Why ignore a problem when it can be fixed, and rather easily I might add?

If there is a leaky pipe in someone else's house it is their decision if they want to fix it. This is qhimm's house not yours. It is not up to either of us, or any of us for that matter to tell him how to run this place. If qhimm wants more moderators then he will appoint them. If not he wont.

Jari

« Reply #65 on: 2009-10-06 05:02:47 »
Definitely. Stagnation is the greatest enemy of a sucessful forum. Plus, the user pool here is not bad at all. Better to have good, but not perfect, mods, than to let anarchy reign.

It's not bad, but it's small, and made mostly of unknown quantities right now.

Fair enough, then. And about the ripped models thing: I have the right to disagree. It probably won't change, but after witnessing the insane "ethics" code that the MUGEN community used (up to a point where some users were unhappy at the permanent warzone the biggest international MUGEN forum was, took control of the forum and decided to return to the roots... I could go on about it for ages, so I'll just leave it at this), I don't want to see this forum turn into something similar.

Of course you have. :-)

What halkun is doing is just a rather wise measure of self-preservation. If people want to rip models, they can do so in other forums. Would Square actually care? Who knows. I wouldn't bet on it, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent a cease and desist, just out of spite, if nothing else.

It all depends so very much on their corporate culture. For example, Paramount used to be ultra-fucking-anal about their assets, and at one time any attempt to run a Star Trek-fansite very likely resulted in receiving a letter from Paramount's legal department, basically stating something like 'If you dare to use anything that even in the slightest resembles our Star Trek stuff, we'll sue you so hard you'll never forget'.

My personal view is that in some cases Paramount would have lost in court, but most private people do not have the money nor the time to engage in legal action with a corporate entity.

Most of the people we'd consider best candidates do not post here that much anymore, are busy with their lives, and perhaps most importantly; did not volunteer.
Well in that case, I volunteer  :-)

We'll keep that in mind. One day you might be so sorry for ever saying that. :-P

I'm just curious whether you have actually been here before
Also curious  :-P

He told me by PM. Whether he wants to state it in public is up to him. :-)

I'll just say this; if he did, you'd be none the wiser. I had no recollection of any kind, when I saw his username. Then I looked at his posts... and I still had no recollection. :-P In any case, he seems quite harmless.

That's what I like so much about this place.  The ridiculous 1337 and "internet speak" didn't happen.  Grammar is kept in check, along with attitudes (for the most part).  Granted /b/ is usually good for some laughs, but if the these forums become the same... qhimm will no longer be the special haven I once regarded it as.

Well, yes. I mean, I've probably been the most anally retentive person ever about IM speak and grammar.

That, however, looks very much like a lost battle by now. Any attempt to try and implement severe code of... well, whatever it should be called, would surely ruffle so many feathers that the forum would turn into a warzone.

Even many of the contributors to the Tech forums write Engrish that would warrant a comment.

It's a tricky question about whether there's any point in trying to fix it anymore - except for the most blatant cases where the person stops making any sense at all.

LeeHiOoO

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2009-10-06 05:25:03 »
Even many of the contributors to the Tech forums write Engrish that would warrant a comment.

It's a tricky question about whether there's any point in trying to fix it anymore - except for the most blatant cases where the person stops making any sense at all.

Also, there is s lot of people cases here, where English is not it's native language. I'm one for that case. I R Brazilian.
I has very very bad engrish. lol j/k -  But I try my best..

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #67 on: 2009-10-06 07:29:21 »
Hmm, volunteer... That sounds nice. Hell, sign me up. I think I can handle it.  :-D

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2009-10-06 07:54:59 »
I would volunteer, but I'll save you the trouble of stating my limitations:
1.) I was previously affiliated with both Seifer and Hermoor, and was defensive of the former in the beginning.
2.) I've only been a member for a little under a year.  I've been lurking for about eight months before that, but that's something I cannot prove.
3.) I've no experience being a moderator or anything.
4.) I haven't even made it to "Freak" status yet.
5.) For dispositional reasons, I may well not be suited for the job...

Anyway... I'm open :-D

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2009-10-06 10:26:26 »
I'm also open, although I've only been here for 3 years (I choose not to include the time I lurked before that because I honestly can't remember and it doesn't matter, though it was way back in the days where someone would post about bad English). I still sometimes post about really bad grammar or chatspeak in posts, but there are things we all use nowadays on this board that years ago wouldnt've been acceptable. Things change I suppose.

But where to draw the line?

Bosque

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2009-10-06 20:27:36 »
My opinion: let halkun and ammo be mods for all forums (banhammer included). And ppl plz stop talking about facts that its already on the past. Seifer is gone and also Hermoor, and RIGHT NOW i'm sure if they try to show up again... ammo is watching, and so is halkun. They can perfectly work together to solve this kind of issues... so.. move on plz...

Healthy discussion is the key to solve these issues, and healthy discussion is seemingly something that Seifer and Hermoor are incapable of.

If there is a leaky pipe in someone else's house it is their decision if they want to fix it. This is qhimm's house not yours. It is not up to either of us, or any of us for that matter to tell him how to run this place. If qhimm wants more moderators then he will appoint them. If not he wont.

It's as much our house as it is his: what is a forum without it's users? Nothing. A good admin listens to the users.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2009-10-07 00:29:07 »
Well apparently the majority of users of this forum do not have a problem with the way things are run or they would have left a long time ago. And since they do not appear to be leaving i dont think there is going to be a problem with mass desertions. Qhimm has a life beyond these forums now, so just let things be. Most likely it would fall on deaf ears anyways.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2009-10-07 04:04:37 »
It's as much our house as it is his: what is a forum without it's users? Nothing. A good admin listens to the users.

Qhimm owns the forums, and they aren't run democratically.  You've no say unless he listens to you.

Are you saying he's a bad admin?  He's been an admin for 10 years, and his original intention for this place, so far as I understand, was to make it a mod site for fixing ff7, not enhancing it (or having random discussions in Completely Unrelated - he once considered closing down Completely Unrelated altogether).  And who knew back then that ff7 would still be so popular today?

Give Qhimm a break; I don't think this is quite what he signed up for at the start.  You think it's that easy to just appoint new mods?  Obviously not - it has yet to be done.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2009-10-07 04:07:41 »
Obviously qhimm is where it is at. Many others have tried to make new forums to no avail. So enjoy what you have here.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2009-10-07 04:30:52 »
Give Qhimm a break; I don't think this is quite what he signed up for at the start.  You think it's that easy to just appoint new mods?  Obviously not - it has yet to be done.
I think he really has no time, or patience, for this place anymore.   I think he wants this place to be what it once was... and that would be ideal.  It's just not going to happen.  This site has gotten too popular.  I think the best course of action is to appoint 2 more mods to help out halkun and, at minimum, keep this place from getting worse than it is now.

Like Jari said, places like /b/ have a lot of influence throughout the internet.  It would be a travesty to see these forums continue to succumb to it.